Questions about Med Boards

Hi guys, I am currently in the medical board process, was recommended directly into medboard, no LIMDU, for Major Depressive Disorder.

The process was started November 2021
VA Appointments in January 2022
Signed MEDBOARD Package Submitted: 11SEP2022
Initial Unfit finding: 02DEC2022 (was actually in October 2022, but PEBLO failed to inform me.)

The PEBLO, only gave me my initial Unfit findings, the VA has not given me a rating, I've checked the VA website for claims and appeals, and I have nothing there at the moment.

My current intent, is to appeal, as I am intent on retiring on my 20 year anniversary on June 10th.

Now I'm wondering, how long is the VA going to take on my claims for the rating. After that, how long does the appeal process take? Also my command informed me that there is a 90 day lead time for separations as well. So there is that. Thoughts?

The simple answer- you should have your VA findings within 6-8 weeks from your Unfit date.

1. Army If you are an Army member, your formal hearing will most likely be about 3 months out, with a post-FPEB appeal most likely taking another month or so- thus, you should be in good shape. My Army clients who have requested formal hearings in December are being scheduled out towards the end of April and the beginning of May.

2. Air Force- the Air Force is moving at a faster clip on scheduling hearings, but the post- FPEB appeal stage is taking longer than the Army. Of course, the new proposed post-FPEB hearing provision allowing you to request an additional hearing as per the new DODI1332.18 instruction should slow things down enough to get where you need to be.

3. Navy- same as above regarding the Air Force. The PFR process post-FPEB is quicker with the Navy, but involving the additional hearing change should throw a monkey wrench into the process to get you to where you need to be.

Thus, with the assistance of a good attorney-civilian or military- you should be able to achieve your goal of reaching 20 years. Note- this answer assumes that you are on active duty or AGR/FTS who will achieve 20 active duty years. If you are a traditional Reservist or Guardsman, then the 20-year goal locks in the Reserve retirement, but you would not receive concurrent receipt until you reached age 60- less time for deployments.

The simple answer- you should have your VA findings within 6-8 weeks from your Unfit date.

1. Army If you are an Army member, your formal hearing will most likely be about 3 months out, with a post-FPEB appeal most likely taking another month or so- thus, you should be in good shape. My Army clients who have requested formal hearings in December are being scheduled out towards the end of April and the beginning of May.

2. Air Force- the Air Force is moving at a faster clip on scheduling hearings, but the post- FPEB appeal stage is taking longer than the Army. Of course, the new proposed post-FPEB hearing provision allowing you to request an additional hearing as per the new DODI1332.18 instruction should slow things down enough to get where you need to be.

3. Navy- same as above regarding the Air Force. The PFR process post-FPEB is quicker with the Navy, but involving the additional hearing change should throw a monkey wrench into the process to get you to where you need to be.

Thus, with the assistance of a good attorney-civilian or military- you should be able to achieve your goal of reaching 20 years. Note- this answer assumes that you are on active duty or AGR/FTS who will achieve 20 active duty years. If you are a traditional Reservist or Guardsman, then the 20-year goal locks in the Reserve retirement, but you would not receive concurrent receipt until you reached age 60- less time for deployments.

I am indeed on Active Duty, in the Navy, so I should be good considering I haven't even received my VA findings yet. So not only can I appeal the IPEB, I can also appeal the FPEB?