Questions about post PEB timeline

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
im now at the point of doing my second VARR, I know that is supposed to take months, but I know a guy inside the VA and think I can get it expedited. So my question is, after the VARR is complete, what is the timeline after that? How many days for orders, clearing, etc? Do you have to have orders before booking a moving company on move.mil? If so, how many weeks out does transportation office need to book a moving company? I hate moving in the winter, but that looks like what I'm going to end up with...

im now at the point of doing my second VARR, I know that is supposed to take months, but I know a guy inside the VA and think I can get it expedited. So my question is, after the VARR is complete, what is the timeline after that? How many days for orders, clearing, etc? Do you have to have orders before booking a moving company on move.mil? If so, how many weeks out does transportation office need to book a moving company? I hate moving in the winter, but that looks like what I'm going to end up with...
Indeed, good deal! Hmm, what's the basis for your second VARR at this point? As such, will the PEB allow the submission of a second VARR for your unfitting medical conditions only?

Based upon my previous experiences while in the DoD IDES process, I offer the following feedback to your inquiry:

Q1. After the VARR is complete, what is the timeline after that?
A1a. At that point, HQ USAPDA will transmit via the Transition Point Processing System (TRANSPROC) III (or a message to those installations without TRANSPROC-III), the required data to complete the military orders process. Once received, the installation’s Retirement Services Office (RSO)/Transition Center (TC) or other personnel support facility will publish the REFRAD, discharge, or retirement order in a timely manner.
A1b. TRANSPROC-III functions include creation of essential forms such as the Certificate of Discharge or Release from Active Duty (DD Form 214), 214 Work Sheet, Service Computation, Data for Payment of Retired Personnel (DD Form 2656), Application for Voluntary Retirement (DA Form 2339), and transition orders from the U.S. military.
A1c. TRANSPROC-III application provides an automated means of data collection and document processing to support the functional processes at installations transitioning soldiers from active-duty status to retirement, discharge, or release from active duty. TRANSPROC-III interfaces with Defense Retiree and Annuitant System (DRAS) in order for DRAS to (1) establish Army retiree accounts for separating soldiers who are entitled to receive retirement/annuitant benefits, and (2) obtain personnel data about prospective Army retirement/annuitants. An interface with the Defense Joint Military Pay System (DJMS) allows DJMS to establish separation accounts for soldiers who are separating from the Army so that it can terminate active duty pay.

Q2. How many days for orders, clearing, etc?
A2a. Depends upon the DoD IDES case loads at HQ USAPDA, Army Command-level transition processing at the USAHRC, TAGD, Transition Division, and Army Installation-level processing via the RSO/TC or other personnel support facility; anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.
A2b. Since the USAPDA will assign a "not later than" separation date that will not exceed 90-days after the USAPDA's final determination processing, the Army Installation Commander (through the TC) will establish a separation date within the 90-day window. The not to exceed 90-day window allow installations flexibility to assign a separation date within the 90-day window based on individual military service member circumstances, but should not be construed as an opportunity to delay the departure of a military service member from active duty.
A2c. Generally, the separation date should factor in the total number of days required to clear the command, authorize permissive temporary duty (PTDY) for eligible active component military service members, and allow for the use of accrued leave (e.g., transition leave). To that extent, the 90-day not-to-exceed window includes 60 days of military transition leave + 20 days of military Permissive TDY (if applicable) + 10 days for installation & unit-level clearance activities.

Q3. Do you have to have orders before booking a moving company on move.mil?
A3a. As based upon my military transition experiences while in the DoD IDES process, yes.
A3b. As informed to me while in the DoD IDES process, upon receipt of your military separation/retirement orders, immediately contact your local military Transportation Office for specific instructions/assistance about completing your military DPS shipment request.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

My second VARR was due to a misdiagnosis being corrected and new diagnosis added as unfitting. New unfitting condition equals new VARR rights.

My second VARR was due to a misdiagnosis being corrected and new diagnosis added as unfitting. New unfitting condition equals new VARR rights.
Indeed, that is correct to include any issuance of a new DA Form 199 from my experiences in the DoD IDES process! ;)

To that extent, the new DA Form 199 shall generate another FPEB hearing + another VARR submittal opportunity as well! Albeit, the IDES participant may have to fight for this entitlement (as in my particular DoD IDES case) since the associated Military Department's PEB will seem to want the military service member out of the military as soon as possible via an initial denial of an IDES legal right opportunity!

As such, I just wanted to ensure that you are receiving sound DoD IDES processing advice; good deal! Take care! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Lead time needed for transportation of household goods can vary, generally a month is cutting it close, but I have heard of people getting transpo done in a week. I am not positive if orders are 100% necessary, but I haven't heard of someone using the fact their in the MEB to get the commander to authorize scheduling it early, such as is done with CIF. As Warrior64 noted, definitely do transpo first in the clearing process, more than anything else they can FUBAR your timeline.

You may not be restricted to a winter move. You have up to a year after retirement to be eligible for moving household goods. Unless you are in on post housing, it may be worth staying around until things meet a favorable timeline.