Questions & Calculations: PEB Results: 80% DoD (TDRL) / 100% VA

Kmr08n

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning from Europe!

Long time lurker here; this forum has been an incredible resource throughout my IDES/MEB process (since July 2020 :eek:), especially considering I am Active Duty Air Force in an OCONUS location. I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible, as I know brevity is often met with follow up questions and clarifications.

I am an AD Air Force Officer working as a Special Agent with the Office of Special Investigations (O-4 select with an unknown pin on date - likely won't make it to pin on?) I have a question about that below.
Entered Active Duty on 9 May 2012, so just over 9.1 years of AD service
My current base pay is 6628.20/month
I am married with no children

I received my ratings yesterday from my PEBLO: 80% DoD (TDRL) and 100% VA (Unknown if P&T?)

Ratings for conditions on the DoD side were listed as: PTSD (Unstable @ 70%) and Chronic Back Pain with Stress Fractures (Permanent and Stable @ 40%) and GERD with Esophagitis (Not rated by DoD, but rated on VA side @ 10%)

So from my understanding, I will be PDRL regardless of my PTSD deterioration and/or recovery (unlikely due to combat and job-related traumas), is that correct?

My questions are as follows:

Question 1: Have I calculated my military retirement pay correctly? This is without combat-related designations.

Base Pay = 6628.20 X 0.75 = 4971.15
VA Rating @ 100% = 3321.85
4971.15 - 3321.85 = 1649.15 (offset) taxed @ 20% (Not sure which tax rate to apply? Federal or state? I am a FL resident so there would not be any state income tax if that is the tax rate)
Assuming it's 20% income tax = 1649.15 X 0.20 = 1319.32
So, I would receive one paycheck from the VA for 3321.85 and one paycheck from the DoD for 1319.32 for a total of 4641.17? Please let me know if my calculations are correct? I'm a gun-toter, not a calculations guy! :)

Question 2: My PTSD is marked as 'YES' for incurred in a combat zone or during combat operations; however, combat-related is marked as 'NO'. Is this worth fighting for the combat related designator? If so, what are the financial/long term benefits?

From my understanding, if I fight this at the FPEB to reflect 'combat-related', then I would receive the complete offset, tax-free (1649.15), which would increase my total compensation from 4641.17 to 4971.00 per month? Is that accurate? Are there any other benefits to fighting for this? I know this is separate from CRSC (question on that later). I had my intake with the appointed ODC lawyers yesterday to determine whether combat-related was worth fighting for (she estimated it would be a 4 week turnaround to submit a paper case in absentia to FPEB). I sent her all of my evidence in support of my 'combat-related' designation, such as my Joint Commendation Medal with Combat Device, AFG and NATO campaign medals, letters from SOC leadership, as well as the impact and subsequent severe PTSD symptoms upon return, all of which was captured in my Trauma treatment assignments (included as evidence to her as well). I deployed in a joint capacity with members of the SOC community to AFG and witnessed first hand the death of two US teammates and friends upon return from mission, as well as hundreds of kill confirmations, drone strikes, as well as being fully imbedded with AFG military forces for weeks at a time with no other US presence. I traveled thousands of miles across the country in support of counter-insurgency operations. So, all of that to say, do you think this is worth fighting for at this point? I am in a toxic work environment currently and I cannot get out of Europe and back to the US quick enough, so I am not sure if we should fight this now or later?

Question 3: How does one determine their P&T status on the VA side prior to retirement?

My lawyer did some research in my VA paperwork yesterday and said, based on the verbiage used, even with the VA taking my 70% rated PTSD out of my VA calculations, they still met a 100% rating on the VA side; so, she foresees me being awarded P&T based on their verbiage and use of USC 35 something or other, can anyone weigh in on this? What are the benefits of P&T at 100%? Is there any way to find out for sure that I will be awarded P&T status at this point in the game?

Question 4: With my TDRL designator, when can I expect to be seen for PTSD on the outside for re-evaluation? What is the average waiting period for this? Do I have to wait three years to go PDRL?

Question 5: In the event they lower my PTSD rating (unlikely according to my MH team, PEBLO and the lawyers); would the offset payment be removed at that point, as I would go down to 40% DoD?

Question 6: I've read multiple posts about CRSC, and I wanted to see if someone was able to help me calculate the potential benefit and whether it is worth pursuing once retired; please see below:

Base Pay = 6628.20 (O-3 with 9.1 years in)
DoD disability percentage = 80%
Active duty years = 9 years 1 month
VA compensation = 100% (one spouse, no children)
Approved CRSC percentage (Would apply only to the 70% for PTSD I assume?)

Question 7: I know this question is outside the scope of TDRL sub-forum; however, how does PTDY and leave work from OCONUS? I know we are authorized UP TO 30 days, which I requested yesterday. However, are we allowed to take our leave first (we have 60 days) and then our permissive TDY on the back end? Reason being, we are trying to travel Europe on the front end with our leave and then house hunt CONUS on the back side? Can any personnelists, travel or finance folks help me to answer this?

Question 8: Having been selected to the rank of O-4 (Major), how does that play into things? I will not even be on Active Duty service to pin on? Any benefits to this at all?

Question 9: Transfer of Post 9/11 GI Bill: I've heard we are able to transfer our GI Bill benefits during the MEB, is this accurate? Has anyone done this successfully? I want to set up my spouse and future kids for success, if possible, so I would like to do this prior to exiting AD service in the coming months.

Thank you all so much for your assistance with these questions; I have six days to respond to my AF 1180 after consulting with my lawyer, so I want to make sure I am making sound decisions, specifically for the combat-related designator. Cheers!

Good morning from Europe!

Long time lurker here; this forum has been an incredible resource throughout my IDES/MEB process (since July 2020 :eek:), especially considering I am Active Duty Air Force in an OCONUS location. I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible, as I know brevity is often met with follow up questions and clarifications.

I am an AD Air Force Officer working as a Special Agent with the Office of Special Investigations (O-4 select with an unknown pin on date - likely won't make it to pin on?) I have a question about that below.
Entered Active Duty on 9 May 2012, so just over 9.1 years of AD service
My current base pay is 6628.20/month
I am married with no children

I received my ratings yesterday from my PEBLO: 80% DoD (TDRL) and 100% VA (Unknown if P&T?)

Ratings for conditions on the DoD side were listed as: PTSD (Unstable @ 70%) and Chronic Back Pain with Stress Fractures (Permanent and Stable @ 40%) and GERD with Esophagitis (Not rated by DoD, but rated on VA side @ 10%)

So from my understanding, I will be PDRL regardless of my PTSD deterioration and/or recovery (unlikely due to combat and job-related traumas), is that correct?

My questions are as follows:

Question 1: Have I calculated my military retirement pay correctly? This is without combat-related designations.

4971.15 - 3321.85 = 1649.15 (offset) taxed @ 20% (Not sure which tax rate to apply? Federal or state? I am a FL resident so there would not be any state income tax if that is the tax rate)
So, I would receive one paycheck from the VA for 3321.85 and one paycheck from the DoD for 1319.32 for a total of 4641.17? Please let me know if my calculations are correct? I'm a gun-toter, not a calculations guy! :)

Question 2: My PTSD is marked as 'YES' for incurred in a combat zone or during combat operations; however, combat-related is marked as 'NO'. Is this worth fighting for the combat related designator? If so, what are the financial/long term benefits?

From my understanding, if I fight this at the FPEB to reflect 'combat-related', then I would receive the complete offset, tax-free (1649.15), which would increase my total compensation from 4641.17 to 4971.00 per month? Is that accurate? Are there any other benefits to fighting for this? I know this is separate from CRSC (question on that later). I had my intake with the appointed ODC lawyers yesterday to determine whether combat-related was worth fighting for (she estimated it would be a 4 week turnaround to submit a paper case in absentia to FPEB). I sent her all of my evidence in support of my 'combat-related' designation, such as my Joint Commendation Medal with Combat Device, AFG and NATO campaign medals, letters from SOC leadership, as well as the impact and subsequent severe PTSD symptoms upon return, all of which was captured in my Trauma treatment assignments (included as evidence to her as well). I deployed in a joint capacity with members of the SOC community to AFG and witnessed first hand the death of two US teammates and friends upon return from mission, as well as hundreds of kill confirmations, drone strikes, as well as being fully imbedded with AFG military forces for weeks at a time with no other US presence. I traveled thousands of miles across the country in support of counter-insurgency operations. So, all of that to say, do you think this is worth fighting for at this point? I am in a toxic work environment currently and I cannot get out of Europe and back to the US quick enough, so I am not sure if we should fight this now or later?

Question 3: How does one determine their P&T status on the VA side prior to retirement?

My lawyer did some research in my VA paperwork yesterday and said, based on the verbiage used, even with the VA taking my 70% rated PTSD out of my VA calculations, they still met a 100% rating on the VA side; so, she foresees me being awarded P&T based on their verbiage and use of USC 35 something or other, can anyone weigh in on this? What are the benefits of P&T at 100%? Is there any way to find out for sure that I will be awarded P&T status at this point in the game?

Question 4: With my TDRL designator, when can I expect to be seen for PTSD on the outside for re-evaluation? What is the average waiting period for this? Do I have to wait three years to go PDRL?

Question 5: In the event they lower my PTSD rating (unlikely according to my MH team, PEBLO and the lawyers); would the offset payment be removed at that point, as I would go down to 40% DoD?

Question 6: I've read multiple posts about CRSC, and I wanted to see if someone was able to help me calculate the potential benefit and whether it is worth pursuing once retired; please see below:

Question 7: I know this question is outside the scope of TDRL sub-forum; however, how does PTDY and leave work from OCONUS? I know we are authorized UP TO 30 days, which I requested yesterday. However, are we allowed to take our leave first (we have 60 days) and then our permissive TDY on the back end? Reason being, we are trying to travel Europe on the front end with our leave and then house hunt CONUS on the back side? Can any personnelists, travel or finance folks help me to answer this?

Question 8: Having been selected to the rank of O-4 (Major), how does that play into things? I will not even be on Active Duty service to pin on? Any benefits to this at all?

Question 9: Transfer of Post 9/11 GI Bill: I've heard we are able to transfer our GI Bill benefits during the MEB, is this accurate? Has anyone done this successfully? I want to set up my spouse and future kids for success, if possible, so I would like to do this prior to exiting AD service in the coming months.

Thank you all so much for your assistance with these questions; I have six days to respond to my AF 1180 after consulting with my lawyer, so I want to make sure I am making sound decisions, specifically for the combat-related designator. Cheers!
#1. Your pretty close. Not sure what is withheld but you will pay in taxes whatever your due to pay for Federal Income taxes since you don't have state income taxes.
#2. I am a firm believer that you should fight for anything that isn't right while in IDES unless there is no future benefit to getting something corrected. In this case I would challenge the combat code if incorrect. Also, it's possible the FPEB sees your supporting documentation that you are submitting ahead of the formal board date and concurs without you needing to attend the FPEB. It happens.
#3. I can't help here. I don't know.
#4. Typically 1 year to 18 months. Make sure to keep your address on file correct and don't rely on them entirely. I would check in with them every year if not contacted already. If 2 years go by with no contact from TDRL something is probably wrong or got lost in the mail. Don't be that person that fell off TDRL with a 0% rating because of a mix up by missing an exam.
#5. Yes. If the other unfitting condition is permanent and rated 30% or higher you will still be medically retired regardless of the final rating for PTSD.
#6. @RonG should be able to help you on this one.
#7. I can't help here. I don't know.
#8. You will retire as a Major. It won't help you on your retirement income. So if you get on the promotion list then you get to retire in that grade. Make sure to ensure its on your TDRL retirement orders correctly and on your DD214. Its a pain to try to get it fixed afterword's.
#9. You need to transfer this ASAP to your spouse! Your future kids are out of luck. You still have time to transfer to your spouse though there are some caveats regarding eligibility with some more recent changes to the requirements being in 2020. See this link: https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/education/Post-911_Transferability.pdf

[selected text]

From my understanding, if I fight this at the FPEB to reflect 'combat-related', then I would receive the complete offset, tax-free (1649.15), which would increase my total compensation from 4641.17 to 4971.00 per month? Is that accurate? Are there any other benefits to fighting for this? I know this is separate from CRSC (question on that later). Ithat to say, do you think this is worth fighting for at this point? I am in a toxic work environment currently and I cannot get out of Europe and back to the US quick enough, so I am not sure if we should fight this now or later?

Comment: I did not re-compute your figures. Ron

Item 1: 4971.15 - 3321.85 = 1649.15 (gross residual retired pay you keep) Normally, I do not compute taxes and other deductions.
Note: Final pay is not used. The total of your highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36 is part of the formula.

Item 2. Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), replaces some of all of the the reduced retired pay It requires a separate application. See A Supplement to CRSC Information <----LINK
You said: "...then I would receive the complete offset, tax-free (1649.15), which would increase my total compensation from 4641.17 to 4971.00 per month? Is that accurate?" Answer: No. If approved, you would receive the CRSC percentage/amount approved by your service (application required) OR the longevity portion of your retired pay, which is AD years x 2.5% = longevity multiplier x average high three base pay =longevity portion of retired pay. The combination of your residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Item 6: CRSC estimate. There is a link under my signature block that to a page that outlines what is necessary for a CRSC estimate. Please provide all the info required in one brief reply. You might not receive any CRSC due to the high amount of your projected residual retired pay (see item 2).

Ron

Item 1: 4971.15 - 3321.85 = 1649.15 (gross residual retired pay you keep) Normally, I do not compute taxes and other deductions.
Note: Final pay is not used. The total of your highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36 is part of the formula.

Item 2. Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), replaces some of all of the the reduced retired pay It requires a separate application. See A Supplement to CRSC Information <----LINK
You said: "...then I would receive the complete offset, tax-free (1649.15), which would increase my total compensation from 4641.17 to 4971.00 per month? Is that accurate?" Answer: No. If approved, you would receive the CRSC percentage/amount approved by your service (application required) OR the longevity portion of your retired pay, which is AD years x 2.5% = longevity multiplier x average high three base pay =longevity portion of retired pay. The combination of your residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

Item 6: CRSC estimate. There is a link under my signature block that to a page that outlines what is necessary for a CRSC estimate. Please provide all the info required in one brief reply. You might not receive any CRSC due to the high amount of your projected residual retired pay (see item 2).

Ron

Ron
Ron,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Please see below required for CRSC calculation:

1. My high three average is $6399/month

2. My DoD disability rating is 80%

3. My active duty time: 9 years and 1 month

4. My VA compensation is 100%, $3321.85, with my spouse

5. I have not applied for CRSC, still Active Duty

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers!

[selected text]
1. My high three average is $6399/month

2. My DoD disability rating is 80%

3. My active duty time: 9 years and 1 month

4. My VA compensation is 100%, $3321.85, with my spouse

5. I have not applied for CRSC, still Active Duty

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers!
Hello @Kmr08n

Thank you for providing exactly what is needed. Ron

Estimate.

a. 6399 x 75% = ~4799
b. 4799 minus ~3322 = 1477 residual retired pay you keep
c. 9.083 AD x 2.5 = ~22.71% longevity multiplier
d. 6399 x 22.71% = 1453.21 longevity portion of retired pay
e. For Chapter 61 retirees with less than 20 years, the combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. Your residual=1477
f. There is no CRSC payable in this case since the residual retired pay is more than the longevity portion of retired pay by itself.
g. Based on your info, you should receive each month:
--DFAS residual retired pay = 1477
--VA compensation = 3321.85

Ron
Re: Europe
2 tours in Lower Saxony, FRG, 100 KM from Bremen, and 25 KM from Dutch border
2 tours in Schweinfurt, FRG
1 tour that began in Heidelberg, got promoted and moved to Giessen... then The Wall came down

Question 8:

if you don’t make the pin on point, make sure that they retire you as a Major. Take a copy of the promotion list with your name on it and a copy of title 10 USC 1372 and show to the retirement services office…. This is what I did and they simply “promoted” me on my retirement orders. I didn’t get any special promotion orders or ceremony. My promotion date was my last date of active duty. I had made the MAJ lost but the Army had not gotten to mu sequence number before my retirement date.

At the what point in the process do you talk to that group? I’m guard so I don’t know if that makes a difference

Last edited:
At the what point in the process do you talk to that group? I’m guard so I don’t know if that makes a difference
I was active duty Army. My assignment was ROTC in Nebraska but the nearest army base was Ft Riley KS. So my retirement orders were processed there.

the point where this starts is when your name hits the TRANSPOC list. At this point, the retirement services people will reach out to you.

Can someone help me with my figures?
I am medically retired from the Army. The Army rated me at 30% for my retirement and the VA has me at 100%. I have been approved for CRSC at 90% and my Gross retirement pay from the Army would be $982.00. I do not receive my retirement pay from the Army because of my VA and the offset. I'm just curious on what my pay will be from CRSC. I received my CRSC approval letter in September but I have not receive any pay, yet.

Thank you

Can someone help me with my figures?
I am medically retired from the Army. The Army rated me at 30% for my retirement and the VA has me at 100%. I have been approved for CRSC at 90% and my Gross retirement pay from the Army would be $982.00. I do not receive my retirement pay from the Army because of my VA and the offset. I'm just curious on what my pay will be from CRSC. I received my CRSC approval letter in September but I have not receive any pay, yet.

Thank you
We look forward to assisting you with a CRSC estimate. About 50% of those who request an estimate, do not provide adequate background information. We have tried to anticipate what info is needed for each scenario and the following outline is the result. We will not be able to provide an estimate without this info.

CRSC Estimate

The following is needed for someone to compute your CRSC:
Accurate information needed within one reply:

1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36)
Example reply: The Gross retired pay on my DFAS RAS is $2900.
Example Reply 2: The total of my highest 36 months of pay divided by 36 is $3600.

2.--DoD disability percentage
Example reply: My DOD disability retirement (Chapter 61) percentage shown in my retirement orders was 70%.

3. --Active duty years and months (or active duty equivalent for RC members which is total creditable points divided by 360). Your retirement orders will show your active duty equivalent on page one, about 3/4 down the first page as “Disability Retirement”.
Example reply: My active duty equivalent shown on my retirement orders was: 9 years and 8 months
Example reply 2: My total creditable points for retirement divided by 360 results in: 9 years and 8 months

4. --VA compensation (All of the following):
a. percentage; Example reply: My VA Compensation percentage is 80%.
b. amount; Example reply: The amount of my VA compensation is $1900.
c. dependents by category and ages of dependent children.; Example reply: My dependents for VA compensation are spouse and 2 children under 18.

d. Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive.
Example reply: I receive SMC-K.

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service.
Example reply: My approved CRSC percentage is 70%.

6.--Whether you qualify for another type of retirement . Cite the type of other retirement for which you qualify such as reserve component at age 60. Example reply: I also qualify for a reserve retirement.

7.--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment? If REDUX was received, then all the info (amounts and description) on page one of your DFAS RAS is needed in addition to other info requested. Please show a description for each item. Example reply: I did not receive REDUX/CSB.

8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option? Example reply: Yes I was under the blended retirement program.

============================
Ron

CRSC Estimate

The following is needed for someone to compute your CRSC:
Accurate information needed within one reply:

1.--Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36)
My retirement pay at 30% is $982.00 per month. So my High 3 has already been done.
Plus I retired in 2005

2.--DoD disability percentage 30%

3. --Active duty years and months 8 years 10 months

4. --VA compensation (All of the following):
a. percentage; 100%
b. amount; $4234.09
c. dependents by category and ages of dependent children. Spouse, 2 children under 18 and my mom

d. Also provide information pertaining to any SMCs you receive. N/A

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service. 90%

6.--Whether you qualify for another type of retirement . N/A

7.--Did you receive a REDUX/CSB payment? No

8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option? No

============================
Ron

Hello @Ranger11

We needed your average high three to compute your longevity amount of retired pay. You said: "Average high three for basic pay (total of the highest 36 months of pay divided by 36)My retirement pay at 30% is $982.00 per month. So my High 3 has already been done.
Plus I retired in 2005."

However...since 982 (current gross) is 30% of an unknown number:

1. Gross retired pay 982/30% DoD = 3273.33 average high three; 3273.33 x 30% = 982 gross retired pay
2. 8.833 AD x 2.5% = 22.08% longevity multiplier
3. 3273.33 x 22.08% = 722.75 longevity portion of your retired pay (per the info you provided) and your CRSC ceiling.

4. Your CRSC : 722.75
5. Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: According to law, members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code must have the CRSC entitlement limited to an amount that when combined with any military retired pay remaining after offset for VA disability compensation will not exceed the retired pay they would otherwise be entitled to for retirement computed for years of service (i.e., 2 1/2 percent x years of service x pay base)

Ron
edited to add:
In October 2022, you said: "My current CRSC pay at 80% is $650." 650 x 8.7% COLA increase 1.087 = 706.55 which is close to the 722.75 I determined from the info you provided.

Last edited: