Quick DOD compensation vs VA compensation Question

phaerix

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm in my MED board now for Ulcerative Colitis and will most likely be retired (11 yrs TIS, E-6). If I choose the DOD compensation over the VA and need surgery in the future to remove my colon/rectum would I be able to get my compensation bumped up from a 60% rating since that surgery calls for a 100% rating (guessing not)? If it works how I think it works, It would be smarter to take the VA compensation route and lose out of a couple hundred a month if I expect this colectomy surgery at some point in my life because 100% VA compensation is significantly higher than a 60% DOD. Am I thinking clearly here?

I'm in my MED board now for Ulcerative Colitis and will most likely be retired (11 yrs TIS, E-6). If I choose the DOD compensation over the VA and need surgery in the future to remove my colon/rectum would I be able to get my compensation bumped up from a 60% rating since that surgery calls for a 100% rating (guessing not)? If it works how I think it works, It would be smarter to take the VA compensation route and lose out of a couple hundred a month if I expect this colectomy surgery at some point in my life because 100% VA compensation is significantly higher than a 60% DOD. Am I thinking clearly here?
I think you misunderstand some aspects of your benefits.

1. If you choose to receive VA compensation, that does not negate or cancel your DoD benefits. You still have the same DoD rating, but your retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. Often, that reduction leaves zero retired pay; however, your medical and other benefits remain intact.

2. As I have said dozens of times, I can see no benefit in declining VA compensation. IF there is residual (left over) retired pay after the reduction, the retiree gets to keep it.

3. You said, "...would be smarter to take the VA compensation route and lose out of a couple hundred a month..." I have explained this at items one and two. There is no loss of a couple of hundred a month (item 2).

Ron

Some examples using numbers picked at random.

1. VA comp =3000...DoD = 2000
The amount of VA comp reduces the DoD to zero
Total paid each month = 3000 VA comp

2. DoD = 3000...VA comp =2000
The DoD is reduced to 1000 and the retiree also receives 2000 VA comp
Total paid each month = 3000

Ron

edited to add:
In both examples the retiree retains medical benefits for both VA and DoD

Thanks for the explanation Ron. Why is there even a choice to decline VA compensation? It seems it wins no matter what.

Thanks for the explanation Ron. Why is there even a choice to decline VA compensation? It seems it wins no matter what.
Still...some CH 61 retirees decline VA compensation for reasons that escape me.

It has its origins in an 1890s law.

"In 1891, Congress first prohibited payment of both military retired pay and a disability pension under the premise that it represented dual or overlapping compensation for the same purpose. The original law was modified in 1941, and the present system of VA disability compensation offsetting military retired pay was adopted in 1944. Under this system, retired military personnel were required to waive a portion of their retired pay equal to the amount of VA disability compensation, a dollar-for-dollar offset."

"For certain retirees: Concurrent receipt refers to the simultaneous receipt of two types of monetary benefits: military retired pay and Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation. With several separate programs, varying eligibility criteria, and several eligibility dates, some observers find the subject complex and somewhat confusing. There are, however, two common criteria: first, all recipients are military retirees; second, they are also eligible for VA disability compensation. This report addresses the two primary components of the concurrent receipt program: Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP)."---source Congressional Research Services

Ron

Just wondering if you ever got your ratings? I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Pancolitis a few months ago. I am on Remicade and immunosuppressants. My GI docs keeps talking about MEB, but I haven't heard anything else of it. I'm active duty army, 6yrs TIS, E-6

Just wondering if you ever got your ratings? I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Pancolitis a few months ago. I am on Remicade and immunosuppressants. My GI docs keeps talking about MEB, but I haven't heard anything else of it. I'm active duty army, 6yrs TIS, E-6
Not yet. I should know in 2-3 weeks. UC pancolitis here too... remicade and imuran.

I'm on the max does of Remicade and imuran. Just had my first flare up after 2 months on it. Ive been getting a bit nervous seeing many people with our condition not get the proper ratings they deserve. But with a severe form like Pancolitis fingers crossed! If you don't mind let me know how it goes battle!

I'm on the max does of Remicade and imuran. Just had my first flare up after 2 months on it. Ive been getting a bit nervous seeing many people with our condition not get the proper ratings they deserve. But with a severe form like Pancolitis fingers crossed! If you don't mind let me know how it goes battle!
Ill let ya know what I get back.
I was hospitalized in April for 2 weeks and on quarters for 2 more. Struggling with anemia and weight loss. Doing good the last 3 months on these new drugs though. My VA exams were marked to support a 60% rating... hoping that works out!