RA: Unfit/ MEB vs. AR 600-9

natedog75

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello fellow Soldiers!

I'm a little curious about the goings on in the Army and would like to see other's thoughts about what Im about to discuss. So Im a SSG at FT Drum waiting on my 199 from seattle, been found unfit since March and also flagged for being 3% over my allowable percentaged IAW AR 600-9. I have been on the program since the same time I got my unfit and can't budge the 3% i have inherited. My permament profile pretty much says no high impact activities, no pu, su or apft period! no ruck, jumping, bending or lifting < 15. Pretty much do what I can to my own tolerance and pace. So ok no problem follow my profile right? So my question is this : If the HIGHER powers to be say that I'm to broke to serve/ meet the standards and that the VA in seattle, WA has my packet right now to make a percentages decision to either militarily retire or discharge, then why is my chain busting my chops? I mean I get it they are just doing there job but to continously waste there time with me knowing full well I'll be out of there hair is becoming to dramatic. If your broke/ unfit then depending on the severity of the injury how can someone responible meet the standards with 1. not adding more injury or creating a new one 2. starvation 3. going to behavoiral health? If I sound like a cry baby I do apologize, Im not the smartest person out there but I do have alot of common sense and out of the group of overweights I have the pleasure of doing remedial pt with I'm the only one that tries and has the unfit/ meb going for him. Some of the other individuals are purposely trying to get out, some just can't cut it and then you have those other individuals that get away from the program because they must be chummy chummy with someone lol. That makes me laugh, I mean you look at these folks and you can automatically tell they would fail tape with out the tape. I will never speak for the army as a whole but my god something needs to give!

Hello fellow Soldiers!
I'm a little curious about the goings on in the Army and would like to see other's thoughts about what Im about to discuss. So Im a SSG at FT Drum waiting on my 199 from seattle, been found unfit since March and also flagged for being 3% over my allowable percentaged IAW AR 600-9. I have been on the program since the same time I got my unfit and can't budge the 3% i have inherited. My permament profile pretty much says no high impact activities, no pu, su or apft period! no ruck, jumping, bending or lifting < 15. Pretty much do what I can to my own tolerance and pace. So ok no problem follow my profile right? So my question is this : If the HIGHER powers to be say that I'm to broke to serve/ meet the standards and that the VA in seattle, WA has my packet right now to make a percentages decision to either militarily retire or discharge, then why is my chain busting my chops? I mean I get it they are just doing there job but to continously waste there time with me knowing full well I'll be out of there hair is becoming to dramatic. If your broke/ unfit then depending on the severity of the injury how can someone responible meet the standards with 1. not adding more injury or creating a new one 2. starvation 3. going to behavoiral health? If I sound like a cry baby I do apologize, Im not the smartest person out there but I do have alot of common sense and out of the group of overweights I have the pleasure of doing remedial pt with I'm the only one that tries and has the unfit/ meb going for him. Some of the other individuals are purposely trying to get out, some just can't cut it and then you have those other individuals that get away from the program because they must be chummy chummy with someone lol. That makes me laugh, I mean you look at these folks and you can automatically tell they would fail tape with out the tape. I will never speak for the army as a whole but my god something needs to give!
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

From my experiences within the DoD IDES process, indeed, upon official referral until disability retirement/ separation, it seems to be a perception that a so-called "broken soldier" is "dead weight" in some U.S. Army units and those "dead weight broken soldiers" become targets on the Command Leadership's "I am out to get you" hit list unfortunately in my opinion! :mad:

Nonetheless, those so-called "dead weight broken soldiers" are still highly trained and highly skilled professional military personnel who now unfortunately have medical issues which shall prevent them from continuing to physically serve in the United States Armed Forces. :(

With that all said, please keep your head up and continue to become the best "dead weight broken soldier" in your entire military unit until official placement onto the PDRL, the TDRL, or given DSWP. Be proud, stand tall, and enjoy your forthcoming well-deserved military disability compensation for sure! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Hello fellow Soldiers!

It is really not that big of a deal, so do not let yourself get down. If you do not meet standards, then the command must treat you the same as every single soldier who does not meet standards for weight control.

There is no such profile as no physical fitness training, so they can have you do something that does not violate your profile.

Let it go, participate just the same as others and make sure you stay within the limits of your profile.

I appreciate the feed back, I guess it's hard when you genuinely care about the organization. The one term that I was told a very long time ago is that the Army doesn't make you ... you make yourself from what the Army teaches and trains you on. Those are very true words and for the first time wearing this uniform I feel like I'm obsolete to the same organization. I guess I've lost the Hooah in me to a extent.

I appreciate the feed back, I guess it's hard when you genuinely care about the organization. The one term that I was told a very long time ago is that the Army doesn't make you ... you make yourself from what the Army teaches and trains you on. Those are very true words and for the first time wearing this uniform I feel like I'm obsolete to the same organization. I guess I've lost the Hooah in me to a extent.

Indeed, you are quite welcome! :)

In addition, at some point in time, the military uniform has to come off and we all shall become ordinary civilians again (as I was once told many years ago) too! ;)

To that extent, please be proud, stand tall, and enjoy your forthcoming well-deserved military disability compensation for sure! :D

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

nate, I know the feeling, I was the go to guy for just about everything when I was healthy. It feels like they abandoned me and could care less about me personally but eventually the shoe will fall on the other foot. Keep your head up and remember the good times and hopefully the process will end soon. I have been at pending decision approval for about 6 weeks now and have heard nothing. Good luck to you.

Walker, thanks for that. I have to say though I won't miss the politics of the military. It's funny how I don't listen to my own advice to Soldiers who are getting out about the pro/ cons of military vs. civilian. I tell them at least if your not happy with your job on the outside, you can always find a new one as opposed to being stuck in a crap MOS at a crap unit in a crap base. The icing on the cake is that in the civilian world we can do the one thing we can't do now in the service .... tell our Supervisor " I Quit!"

I feel your pain brother, i blew the hell up when i got hurt. Luckily my chain of command looked at my profile and were like sweet baby jesus!!! Luckily i was not on the line at the time, i remember how "awesome" the chain can be if you arent pretty! Its the way the army is going on its downward spiral! We promote soldiers who fit in the mold regardless of their ability to make the right decisions under fire! Stay the course, relax, they can bust your chops all they want. You are in the meb awaiting ratings. I was waiting 265 days and then it all flew by! Best of luck

I lost faith in the military. You get 250+ pound people that CAN'T pass a PT test and AREN'T medically flagged pending a boot but they get promoted while your request for exemption to AR 600-9 is denied because you are in the Guard and being booted out... even though your medication causes weight gain and a liver condition and... my favorite... metabolic deficencies... which then exacerbate sleep apnea. I usually have 1 or 2 episodes at night that are central but the added weight created multiple obstructive episodes as well. What bugs me is I have made the appointments and submitted the documents on my condition and fought for MONTHS but in the end, I get booted and no benefits. Hopefully my LOD comes back approved so ABCMR can correct everything.

I lost faith in the military. You get 250+ pound people that CAN'T pass a PT test and AREN'T medically flagged pending a boot but they get promoted while your request for exemption to AR 600-9 is denied because you are in the Guard and being booted out... even though your medication causes weight gain and a liver condition and... my favorite... metabolic deficencies... which then exacerbate sleep apnea. I usually have 1 or 2 episodes at night that are central but the added weight created multiple obstructive episodes as well. What bugs me is I have made the appointments and submitted the documents on my condition and fought for MONTHS but in the end, I get booted and no benefits. Hopefully my LOD comes back approved so ABCMR can correct everything.
well all I can say is that army policy and common sense don't coexist with each other .... if it did then serving would be more gratifying

Back