RANGE OF MOTION TEST (ROM)

jlocohead

Registered Member
Hello,

I am new here and wanted some help determining my range of motion and what it means as far as percentage goes. If I need to repost in another location please let me know. Below are my ROMs:

L-SPINE AROM: ACTIVE RANGE OF MOTION:
R SB (20DEG)
ROT (25 DEG)
L SB (25 DEG)
ROT (30 DEG)
FLEXION (40 DEG)
EXTENSION (10 DEG)
PAIN REPORTED IN ALL RANGES OF MOTION

I WOULD BE SO THANKFUL FOR YOUR HELP.

Hello,

I am new here and wanted some help determining my range of motion and what it means as far as percentage goes. If I need to repost in another location please let me know. Below are my ROMs:

R SB (20DEG)
ROT (25 DEG)
L SB (25 DEG)
ROT (30 DEG)
FLEXION (40 DEG)
EXTENSION (10 DEG)

Based on what I read, your back would rate 20%. 0-30 degrees would be 40%. The way he mentioned "pain reported in all range of motion" would mean he is saying that you experience pain in all positions, but there is not a marked increase as you reach full ROM. I could be wrong, but this is all about how the doctor writes it.

Joe

Hello,

R SB (20DEG)
ROT (25 DEG)
L SB (25 DEG)
ROT (30 DEG)
FLEXION (40 DEG)
EXTENSION (10 DEG)

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In addition to ranger2992's information, I offer the following comments as based upon my experiences:

The provisions of 38 CFR 4.40 and 4.45 may be applicable concerning functional loss due to pain, fatigue, weakness, or lack of endurance, incoordination, and flare-ups, as cited in DeLuca v. Brown, 8 Vet. App. 202 (1995).

As such, the aforementioned provision may or may not be considered and applied as based on any additional joint limitation.

Indeed, it seems that an assignment of a 20% evaluation shall potential be awarded albeit a higher evaluation of 40% is not warranted unless there is forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine of 30 degrees or less; or, favorable ankylosis of the entire thoracolumbar spine.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

I only qualified for 20% because my ROM (15 degrees but not greater than 30 degrees). Regardless of my pain levels! However, let them know if you have numbness in your arms due to your condition. That's a separate condition I was awarded an additional 20% for. My rater also told me that headaches/migraines associated with my cervical strain is a separate rating. I didn't know and didn't put in for it, so I lost out there. When in doubt, add it to the list or tell your rater all your symptoms. The best thing I did was make a list of things I could no longer do because of my injury (I.e. Push ups, shoveling, surfing etc.). This gave my rater a better idea of my condition and my limitations. Helped me with my rating! Good luck!

If your flexion ROM is less than 30 degrees it is 40%. There is a miscommunication somewhere.

Hello,

R SB (20DEG)
ROT (25 DEG)
L SB (25 DEG)
ROT (30 DEG)
FLEXION (40 DEG)
EXTENSION (10 DEG)

Just to piggyback, does your C&P Exam mention where your painful motion begins specifically for your Flexion?

If you could post that, it would be helpful.

Take care.