Rank determination

Tempest

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I've seen this question asked multiple times but I think my situation is a bit different.

I made it to the next rank and I got a line number but I was never allowed to attend ALS because of my medical issues. It was determined that I wouldn't be able to handle the extra responsibilites. I still have the line number and my personnel records shows my next projected rank. The problem is my promotion date came and went.

Will I retire with my current rank or my next projected rank even though I'm allowed to promote now? Am I supposed to speak to someone about this or does it happen autimatically?
I'm not concerned about pay. I'd like to know what my retiree card will say and if I can do anything to help change it.

I've asked so many questions on this board and I'm so thankful for every response I get. Thank you again!

Does the Air Force have a promotion list and are you on it? Since you are holding a line number position for the higher rank that may work too. I would definitely ask a few individuals. Never assume anything will happen just because it is in the regulation. I was on promotion list but would not have been promoted without doing the research and making the phone calls myself. My promotion orders were printed the day they were completing my DD214. The soldier completing my DD214 had to call to get them printed up. I already had the approval letter so it wasn't a big deal. While we were waiting on them to complete orders I went around post to finish up clearing. I came back to a DD214 showing me at the next rank. I am retired Army.

The Air Force had a list with my name on it but I know they moved on to the next cycle.

I agree with you about not sitting around and waiting based off of your experience. I'm glad it worked out for you!

Who did you speak with? Someone at your base or higher up? I think for now I'l call military personnel where I'm stationed and wait to see if you did it any differently.

I wish I would've never said anything. I just asked the question and I was told that I was still projected to promote but they'll send a letter of non-reccomendation to AFPC. I definitely ruined any chance I had if there was one.

The "promotion" part applies if you would have been promoted had you not been discharged.

Enlisted promotions meet a certain line number and are not physically qualified therefore not recommended.

It seems like your situation is tough and disappointing but doesn't sound like you are eligible.

An example of the positive would be if I was selected to promote as an officer and my line number was toward the end of the list so I would normally promote around July/August but I got out in June. I would be promoted before discharge and have the rank but it would really affect my high 36.

I was fully qualified to promote but rather had a date of discharge sooner.