Rating Estimates

Hey y’all. First off, thank you to everyone that participates in this forum. I would be pretty lost and I’ll-prepared without the knowledge I have gained from this site.

My question is if your rating estimates made by your counsel or attorney were close to what you actually received. My counsel gave what he considered a low estimate of 30%DoD/90% VA. I am currently awaiting my ratings from the VA. I will not make any major financial decisions based on estimates but I would like to have a decent idea of what I will be working with in terms of income. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

You will probably be waiving all your retired pay to collect VA disability so you will most likely only be getting your VA check, if the DoD pay is combat related you may be able to collect CRSC.

Last edited:
You should receive 30% of your average high three for retirement as retired pay.

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation...you likely will be left with zero retired pay.

You will receive all of your VA compensation.

See the following for CRSC info: LINK <—-

Ron

You will probably be waiving all your retired pay to collect VA disability so you will most likely only be getting your VA check, if the DoD pay is combat related you may be able to collect VA disability.
Thank you for the info. I was also wondering about the more subjective side of whether what the PEBLO and counsel estimate the ratings to to being close to the actual ratings given by the VA.

Sorry...I have no experience in those areas.

Ron

Yes they should match but only the unfitting condition is rated by the DoD the VA rates all your disabilities that's why it's usually higher.

My counsel gave what he considered a low estimate of 30%DoD/90% VA

Its hard to give an estimate without knowing what it is you've been referred for, and then, what other disabilities were claimed in addition to those.

The only way to truly get an accurate idea of what your ratings will be is to get copies of the DBQs and compare them to the VASRD. Or you could compare them to militarydisabiligymadeeasy.com

The only way to truly get an accurate idea of what your ratings will be is to get copies of the DBQs and compare them to the VASRD. Or you could compare them to militarydisabiligymadeeasy.com

Good outcome, i have almost the same diagnosis and currently in the DES process; quick question...being retire you get 100% of your O-4 pay?

Good outcome, i have almost the same diagnosis and currently in the DES process; quick question...being retire you get 100% of your O-4 pay?
I am not Tony, but IF you are medically retired from the military, your retired pay will be the higher of

a. DoD disability percentage (max 75%) x average high three base pay (i.e., total of highest 36 months base pay divided by 36)
OR
b. Your active duty years and months (or equivalent for reserves) x 2.5% = longevity multiplier. Longevity multiplier x average high three base pay = longevity retirement

Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of your VA compensation unless you are eligible to receive another type retirement besides disability. Then...CRDP would apply.

Ron