Re-enlistment Question

IneedAnswersPlease

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Please can someone give me answers ASAP. I want to renenlist but cant because I have been on profile waiting for my surgery. I just had surgery on March 28th 2011. My ETS date is May 16th, 2011. When I talk to my retention NCO he just talks circles about paperwork from the doctor. What specifically do I need to do to get an extension to heal my doctor said it will take 6 months to heal and be able to be back in condition to take my APFT (pt test) and be able to wear my gear for the range. What do I need from the doctor/command to get things done as I am on a time crunch here and trying to heal I am on 30 day conleave. thanks in advance and please if you can expedite this

I see a few issues here:
What does your profile say? Bottom line, AR 601-280 says this about standards for reenlistment:

"e. Medical and Physical Fitness.
(1) Soldiers must meet the medical retention standards of chapter 3, AR 40-501, or have been found physically
qualified to perform in his or her PMOS per AR 635-40. Soldiers who have been found qualified for retention by a
Physical Evaluation Board will not be denied reenlistment under this provision. Soldiers pending MMRB action per
AR 600-60 will not be reenlisted until the MMRB action has been finalized; however, they may be extended for the
minimum time necessary to complete the MMRB action."

So, unless you fail retention standards or need an MMRB, you should be physically qualified for reenlistment.

What if you fail retention standards? In that case, you need to be referred to a MEB and must be extended until completion of your PEB. That means that you should not be separated at your ETS if you are undergoing MEB/PEB processing. Either way, you should either be able to reenlist or you should be extended until your fitness is determined.

Jason thank you for explaining that to me now I better understand it. My profile says that I cant run or wear my gear put any extra weight on me now that I had surgery I need the time to recover and get back up to speed. If you could explain to me how to go about getting and extension until my fitness is determined I know it will be a minimum of 6 months before I am back in the game. Please tell me what paperwork I need to start this process and any details because my retention nco told me to get a letter from my doctor. I told my doctor and he said that I need to talk to my command. So its hard for me to know what exactly to ask for without stepping on shoes but they keep giving me the run around go to the doctor go to the command you see what I mean? I need to know exactly what to ask for to start initiating the paperwork and in the fastest way as my ETS is May 16th 2011. thank you for responding and putting this question in the proper spot I didnt know how this forum works.

Glad to help....Look at your profile. Under block 4, c., it will say whether you need MEB or MMRB. If it does not indicate either one, then you should be allowed to reenlist. You would not need anything from your doctor (for a few reasons, it is probably in your interest to reenlist if you can). If it does indicate that you need MEB, you need to contact PEBLO at the Military Treatment Facility. They should be contacting you anyway, but since time is short, you might want to try to expedite things. If you need MMRB, you should talk to S1 shop and see if they have forwarded notification paperwork.

Bottom line, you either need to be allowed to reenlist (in which case, the issue is with the retention NCO) or you need to be put in the MEB/PEB channels (which lies with the MTF).

I looked at my profile it says 113111 in the box. So what does that mean I need to do? contact s1 and ask them to put me in the MEB/PEB channels and how long will that take? do i ask for an extension as it may not be sooner than my ETS date of May 16th, 2011. So with that being in the box 113111 does that mean I need to change my MOS? or will I stay in my MOS? thank you again for being so prompt.

Hold on there. Look at block 4.c. What does it say? As for the profile numbers in block 3, is it under temporary or permanent?

It says temporary. Its actually expired the date on this profile, I am getting a new on April 12th on my follow up exam. I will ask for a new one this one is expired and hasnt been updated, I am sure it will be temporary again and then when it expires they will update every 3 months. I only 6 to recover and now my window is closed for reenlisting I was on profile for long time even 90 days prior to my ETS. So what does it mean if it is temporary with 113111 PULHES box? what are my options? do i change my MOS? go to medboard get extension? do i go warrior transition unit until i get ready to play again which is 6 months? everyone looks at me like i am a foreigner when I try talking to them its so frustrating and they send me to other people to just send me to someone else.

Well, per my previous post, it sounds like you are good to go for reenlistment. If they have not referred you yet to MEB/MMRB, you appear to meet reenlistment criteria. I think your first stop is with the retention NCO. Don't let him not do his job. Ask why he thinks you are not eligible for reenlistment. Quote the regulation I posted above. If the answers are not clear or if he won't answer, consider getting your 1SG involved. (As a general matter, it is good for the command to have you reenlist...though, you may also be burning up their PowerPoint slide at Command/Staff brief and USR...either way, regulation suggests you should be able to reenlist). Maybe you need some informal advocates within your unit. Can you talk to Squad Leader/PSG/PL/1SG/CO?

thank you for your time and help and i really appreciate it. a stranger giving me more advice thats understandable than my own retention nco.

Back