Re-evaluation of disability

MitchMcKinley

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
In 2006, I went to the VA hospital in Fargo, ND to have my disability re-evaluated on my left knee. The VA deemed it to be 10% originally. My range of motion was decreasing and I was having more problems with it locking. My appointment for left knee issues was not handled by an orthopedic surgeon, but rather a Physicians Assistant who literally followed a flow chart out of a book. When it came to range of motion, he physically pulled my leg back as far as he could and when it would not go any further, he leaned into it to hold it in place. I was found to still be at 10%.
I am trying to get a new appointment to re-evaluate it again. Is there any regulation or directive in place that would allow me to have this particular exam done by an orthopedic surgeon?

Don't know about the orthopedic surgeon aspect but the evaluation needs to follow the applicable VA worksheet. The ROM should note the active ROM (how far you can bend it) the passive ROM (how far someone else can bend it) and the ROM test should note the point where pain begins while bending the joint. In additon, the test should be repeated at least three time to note additional functional loss due to use of the joint.

Index of Disability Examination Worksheets (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

Mike