Received my CRSC Approval letter today.

Recent info from DFAS:

Posted yesterday: "Just had the most pleasant conversation with someone from DFAS I think I've ever had. The CRSC website says that you should receive retro pay anywhere from 30-60 days from receipt of your first CRSC payment. It's actually 90-120 days from first payment and those are calendar days not business days."

----------------

Opinion: I think it is a moving target and the volume of CRSC approvals drives the time required to process payments for retro CRSC. One to three months is common.

Ron
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Outstanding news, indeed; congratulations! :D Take care and enjoy! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Hello all. What is the likely hood of being approved for CRSC. Hubby and I are confused as to how we know what disabilities are combat related. Is it stated on the VA disability paperwork as combat related. He is on the permanent disabled retired list with 90% va compensation. The letter was mailed out the 8th of November 2018. Was told it could take up to 30 days to receive it. when Would mypay update to show crsc.
Thanks for any info and help.
So very confused and hope this goes in husbands favor.

Justpaint89,
I infer the letter you are waiting for is the CRSC decision. If your husband was in the Army,
a copy of the decision can be downloaded from the HRC web page.

HRC (Army):

Path

1. https://www.hrc.army.mil/

2. "My Records"

3. Login with DS password

4. Click "Reserve/Retiree/Veteran

5. Click "Documents"

6. Click on the CRSC decision you want to view/copy (all should be available)
---

I do not know if the other services have a similar option.

——
The document at the following link has examples of what might be approved for CRSC:
https://www.pebforum.com/resources/supplement-to-crsc-information.103/
—-
DFAS produces a separate statement for CRSC; it is not on the regular RAS on MyPay. The final DFAS update for each month is around the 21st. If approved for CRSC, the CRSC statement would appear not later than ~21st.

—-
In 2011, the Navy stated: “The CRSC board only considers VA rated service connected disabilities. Slips, trips, and falls, lifting heavy objects, as well as physical training, are not combat-related disabilities. The fact that a veteran incurred a disability during a period of war or simulated war; or in an area of armed or simulated conflict, or while participating in combat or simulated combat operations; is not sufficient to support a combat-related determination.” This stands to reason since CRSC replaces some of all of Retired Pay waived/lost due to receipt of VA compensation for combat-related disabilities.

—-
Ron

Last edited:
Justpaint89,
I infer the letter you are waiting for is the CRSC decision. If your husband was in the Army,
a copy of the decision can be downloaded from the HRC web page.

HRC (Army):

Path

1. https://www.hrc.army.mil/

2. "My Records"

3. Login with DS password

4. Click "Reserve/Retiree/Veteran

5. Click "Documents"

6. Click on the CRSC decision you want to view/copy (all should be available)
---

I do not know if the other services have a similar option.

——
The document at the following link has examples of what might be approved for CRSC:
https://www.pebforum.com/resources/supplement-to-crsc-information.103/
—-
DFAS produces a separate statement for CRSC; it is not on the regular RAS on MyPay. The final DFAS update for each month is around the 21st. If approved for CRSC, the CRSC statement would appear not later than ~21st.

—-
In 2011, the Navy stated: “The CRSC board only considers VA rated service connected disabilities. Slips, trips, and falls, lifting heavy objects, as well as physical training, are not combat-related disabilities. The fact that a veteran incurred a disability during a period of war or simulated war; or in an area of armed or simulated conflict, or while participating in combat or simulated combat operations; is not sufficient to support a combat-related determination.” This stands to reason since CRSC replaces some of all of Retired Pay waived/lost due to receipt of VA compensation for combat-related disabilities.

—-
Ron
Thank you it was available. Now how do I calculate crsc at 50%.

so I was just approved for my crsc at 90%
Va 100% with wife and 4 children
and 8 years in the Army can someone help me with some kind of calculations Please

so I was just approved for my crsc at 90%
Va 100% with wife and 4 children
and 8 years in the Army can someone help me with some kind of calculations Please
Your info:
CRSC 90%
Army 70%
va 100%=3613.00
wife and 4 children
8 years AD
high 3 =2756

Estimate:
1. H-3 2756 (which should be the average of the highest 36 months of your base pay) x 0.70 = ~1929 which is all waived due to 3613 VA Comp.
2. 8 yrs AD X 0.025 = 20% multiplier
3. H-3 2756 x 0.20 = ~ 551 longevity portion of retirement pay
4. 90% CRSC (amount found in VA comp tables) is much higher than 551
5. Based on info you provided, your CRSC will be $551.

Ron

Thank you it was available. Now how do I calculate crsc at 50%.
Information needed for Chapter 61 disability retirement CRSC estimate (the information should be provided in an open forum):

The information associated with all of the five numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx)

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation percentage and amount plus identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

Ron

How do I know DFAS received my letter. Got the decision letter today in the mail for approval. Now another waiting game begins. Does everyone who receives crsc get back pay.

I am still confused with how to get crsc calculation. Here’s the info.
High 3: 3563.58
10yrs 4 months
Crsc:50%
Army:30%
Va:90%
Wife and two children
Medically retired.
Please help.

I am still confused with how to get crsc calculation. Here’s the info.
High 3: 3563.58
10yrs 4 months
Crsc:50%
Army:30%
Va:90%
Wife and two children
Medically retired.
Please help.
Estimate.

1. High 3, 3563.58 x 30% DoD = 1069.06 retired pay
2. All retired pay is waived due to receipt of VA compensation that is >= retired pay
3. 10.33 yrs AD x 2.5% = 25.8% multiplier
4. 3563.58 x 25.8 = 919.40 longevity portion of retired pay
5. 50% CRSC, spouse and 2 children = 1039.41 (current tables on this date)
6. Amount at item 4 is less than amount at item 5 = CRSC 919.40

Based on the information you provided, your CRSC will be about 919.40. Earlier periods would be slightly less.

Not everyone receives retroactive payment of CRSC, but if your approval shows a retroactive effective date and you waived retired pay for the retro period, you should receive a retroactive payment.

Ron

Last edited:
I haven’t seen 1 example here where backpay has taken longer than 30 days. Anybody?
I have been waiting 2 months since my approval letter was received. I call and they just tell me it’s still in Audit. Waiting on 5 yrs of back pay.

Estimate.

1. High 3, 3563.58 x 30% DoD = 1069.06 retired pay
2. All retired pay is waived due to receipt of VA compensation that is >= retired pay
3. 10.33 yrs AD x 2.5% = 25.8% multiplier
4. 3563.58 x 25.8 = 919.40 longevity portion of retired pay
5. 50% CRSC, spouse and 2 children = 1039.41 (current tables on this date)
6. Amount at item 4 is less than amount at item 5 = CRSC 919.40

Based on the information you provided, your CRSC will be about 919.40. Earlier periods would be slightly less.

Not everyone receives retroactive payment of CRSC, but if your approval shows a retroactive effective date and you waived retired pay for the retro period, you should receive a retroactive payment.

Ron
So does the estimated 919.40 get deducted from the va compensation or added to it. That’s what also confuses me. I currently receive 2115 a month for va disability. How does the crsc figure in. Will it lower my monthly. Sorry for all the questions.

Good question.

You will receive both: 919.40 + 2115 = 3034.40 total each month.

Ron

Thank you. I guess I did calculate it right just thought that it was 50% of that 919. Appreciate the help. God bless

Ok I just got mine and supposed to get 6 years back pay and my first payment is December 1st so looks like I’m gonna be waiting awhile for back pay

Not yet. Received the approval letter yesterday. Now just another waiting game of 30-60 day to see exactly what DFAS is paying and to get payments. It’s a blessing that’s for sure.

For high 3 do I include 2018 if it’s the year I retired and only had 3 months of base pay in it. I was an e6 since 2014 and I’m confused as to which amounts I include. I retired 10 years 4 months