Received NARSUM, unsure whether to go with it or fight it

edcny

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I received my NARSUM from my PEBLO and am having Legal review and we will come up with a game plan together in order to drive this the way we want. The C&P Exams were in the packet and my doctor, I thought did a great job annotating everything in the DBQ's; however, the Doctor who wrote my NARSUM (who I have never met) downplayed literally every condition reported by the C&P exam doc. So my question would be, does the PEB take into account more the DBQ's or the NARSUM? If they rely heavily on the DBQ's I should be fine, if the NARSUM then I may want to fight this. Any wisdom on this would be appreciated. Thanks

19OCT18- MEB begins
24OCT18- PEBLO/VA counseling
14NOV18- 3 C&P Exams
12DEC18- Final C&P Exam
07JAN19- Received NARSUM (begin 5 day MEB deliberation)(have Legal reviewing NARSUM to identify gameplan moving forward)

Orange Sky

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
For me personally, my dr notes were relied on heavily, as my dr knew me better than someone who was contracted out to conduct an exam. You could always request a review and include your own memorandum, although I don’t know if that would be beneficial or not. I was given that option.

edcny

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yeah I have that option, Unfortunately I am geographically separated from any military base without a 2 hour drive so a military PCM was not an option and they wont allow my civilian doc do a NARSUM, so its just some random army doc who I have never met.

edcny

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
An independent medical review could be request.
Do you know what an Independent Medical Review really does? My PEBLO hasn't really explained what it means and I cant talk to the lawyer until Friday.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
An IMR involves another doctor reviewing your medical records and seeing if the NARSUM accurately reflects your condition(s).

lucky208

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Is it possible (either in person or over the phone) to discuss the NARSUM with the MEB Dr? I'm not jaded with the process yet, so its my belief that a conversation is possible with the MEB Dr to discuss your concerns/ how the NARSUM is markedly different from the exams. If that does not provide you the answer you're searching then an IMR is the next choice. The IMR as discussed above will allow an independent medical provider the opportunity to review your medical history and provide their assessment.

Orange Sky

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
^this. And the timeframe is given 10 days if you’re trying to buy your time out. You also have the opportunity to present your case to the formal board as well. That’s what I did because one of the QTC docs dismissed a diagnosis I have for several years. My dr wrote it up in my package and I went to the board to get it added. Was successful.

edcny

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So legal gave told me to attempt to get a fit finding (changing my P3 profiles to P2) in order for me to hit 20, and if still found unfit then we will fight it with the PEB.

edcny

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Is it possible (either in person or over the phone) to discuss the NARSUM with the MEB Dr? I'm not jaded with the process yet, so its my belief that a conversation is possible with the MEB Dr to discuss your concerns/ how the NARSUM is markedly different from the exams. If that does not provide you the answer you're searching then an IMR is the next choice. The IMR as discussed above will allow an independent medical provider the opportunity to review your medical history and provide their assessment.
Great advice, I will discuss with them soon. Talked to the PEBLO and it is not an issue. Thanks fellas.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">