Receiving Retirement Pay Instead of Disability Pay

Orionachrono

Registered Member
I was medically retired on 31 October after 8 years and 7 months in the Air Force. 40% DoD 80% VA. I felt I was briefed a hundred times on the IDES process and how my VA claim would be ready when I separate. However it's December and I've received a retirement check and nothing from the VA. When I check the Ebenefits site I just see 5 different claims all with different statuses. Is there something else I need to get the VA funds to start and the DoD to stop? It's really crucial for me now since I've already relocated and bills need to get paid soon.

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Did you get a award letter from the VA? Once you are discharged, your VA C&P award begins the following day, however there are two things that delay the first payment.

1.) You award begins Nov 1 2018, the VA pays at the end of the month, therefore your first payday will be on the first of the following month (Dec 1st.)

2.) Your proposed ratings are sent to the VA to become finalized. You must provide the VA with a copy of your DD214 to show that you are no longer entitled to active duty pay. The VA processes your finalized claim and you then are paid once everything is verified. Typically this takes 30-60 days, since Nov had 2 federal holidays, I would tend to think it will be closer to 60.

Look for your first deposit on or around the 1st of Jan.

Orionachrono

Registered Member
2.) Your proposed ratings are sent to the VA to become finalized. You must provide the VA with a copy of your DD214 to show that you are no longer entitled to active duty pay.
So they're waiting on me to send them a document that no one ever told me I needed to send? Even if on the VA, Ebenefits, DEERs, and all the other sites it's says I've been honorably discharged??? This is all so baffling.

Orange Sky

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yes, you still must upload your DD214 or give to your VA rep and let him or her do it but I would do it myself to make sure it gets done.

Orionachrono

Registered Member
Yes, you still must upload your DD214 or give to your VA rep and let him or her do it but I would do it myself to make sure it gets done.
Yeah, I called the VA Rep at my last base and emailed him the document. Hopefully I'll get the pay soon. Thanks.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was medically retired on 31 October after 8 years and 7 months in the Air Force. 40% DoD 80% VA. I felt I was briefed a hundred times on the IDES process and how my VA claim would be ready when I separate. However it's December and I've received a retirement check and nothing from the VA. When I check the Ebenefits site I just see 5 different claims all with different statuses. Is there something else I need to get the VA funds to start and the DoD to stop? It's really crucial for me now since I've already relocated and bills need to get paid soon.

“Month after Law"
Ref:
38 U.S. Code § 5111 - Commencement of period of payment

"... payment of monetary benefits based on an award or an increased award of compensation, dependency and indemnity compensation, or pension may not be made to an individual for any period before the first day of the calendar month following the month in which the award or increased award became effective as provided under section 5110 of this title or such other provision of law."

Examples:
— All regular retirements occur on the first day of a month. The day preceding is date of discharge; the first is the first day in a retired status. I retired on 1 August 1991, so 31 July was my final day of active duty and discharge date. In accordance with the cited law, the earliest possible effective date for a VA award would be 1 August resulting in an initial accrual of VA compensation of 1-30 September with payment on 1 October if paid in real time.

—Non-regular retirements can occur on any date, but the same rule/law applies...

1. Discharge 30 October; retired status 31 October = eff date VA comp 31 October; first accrual of VA Compensation 1-30 November... to be paid on 1 December if in real time.
  2. Discharge 31 October; retired status 1 November = Eff date VA comp 1 November, first possible accrual of VA comp 1 - 31 December for payment at end of December if in real time since 1 January is a holiday.

Ron

Last edited:

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
On e-benefits go to the open VA claim and upload your DD214.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">