Recent Timelines and Ebenefits Weirdness

emstevens93

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good morning all,

I normally lurk more than post here, but I figured I'd let people know how my case is going, and see where other's line up with mine, considering the shutdown and all.
8/14/17 MEB Initiated (Initial email from PEBLO)
11/7/17 NMA FINALLY sent to PEBLO (Ball got dropped on that one)
12/19/17 NARSUM and MEB Findings returned
12/20/17 NARSUM Signed and returned
01/01/18 Ebenefits states PDA, time of completion estimated at 04/18 through 07/18
02/05/18 Ebenefits went back to Gathering Evidence with completion dates of 09/18-03/19 (I officially panicked and emailed PEBLO)
02/06/18 PEBLO said not to worry, packet is still at PEB, no further information is required.

So Where's everyone else with this? Has anyone else's Ebenefits made a weird shift like this? Does it actually correspond with the PEB and/or the VA ratings completion, or is the VA just being weird?

Ebennies like's to be weird...check my timeline in digital signature

E-benefits has its ups; but it has little utility as a way to keep the member informed of progress

@chaplaincharlie and @138MISFIT
I just checked Vets.gov out of curiosity, and it says my VA case is closed, and they sent me a decision letter. So is Vets.gov more accurate than Ebenefits? Which should I believe?
And if the VA decided on my rating, does that mean I was definitely found Unfit, even though the PEB/my PEBLO hasn't gotten back to me?

If the VA has rated you at all you have an unfitting condition. Do you have a Historical claim in Ebennies? You can call PEB and ask if your package has been recieved from the VA yet. PEB number is in signature

@138MISFIT Ebenefits has me listed as Gathering Evidence still...But Vets.Gov has everything listed as complete. Oh hey wait, I do have one listed as complete, in the historical section of Ebenefits. So why is Ebenefits so confused? It still shows a claim being in the Gathering Evidence phase, my original claim dated 10/17, but then it has a claim dated 01/29 completed on 02/02. Sooooo. Now I'm even more lost than I was before haha. So I guess the best bet is call my PEBLO?

So if your claim has gone historical in 10 days from the completed date call the VA @ 1-800-827-1000 and ask to have your letter faxed to you. Also make sure the proposed ratings got sent back to the PEB.

@138MISFIT Ebenefits has me listed as Gathering Evidence still...But Vets.Gov has everything listed as complete. Oh hey wait, I do have one listed as complete, in the historical section of Ebenefits. So why is Ebenefits so confused? It still shows a claim being in the Gathering Evidence phase, my original claim dated 10/17, but then it has a claim dated 01/29 completed on 02/02. Sooooo. Now I'm even more lost than I was before haha. So I guess the best bet is call my PEBLO?
Look at my timeline in digital signature and follow steps

updated timeline in signater

Hi MISFIT,
I called the VA, they said they can't confirm or deny if in fact Im in PDA. The VA rep also stated they can't see anything in ebenefits....the PEBLO said PDA means nothing, "that system will just keep going." I called the PEB number provided, he told me call back Monday because he couldn't see if it was sent or not and everyone else is gone.(didn't catch his rank). There was another guy who was found fit and even before he appealed it his ebenefits said PDA. Did you know your package was sent to the va before the claim went historical?

Hi MISFIT,
I called the VA, they said they can't confirm or deny if in fact Im in PDA. The VA rep also stated they can't see anything in ebenefits....the PEBLO said PDA means nothing, "that system will just keep going." I called the PEB number provided, he told me call back Monday because he couldn't see if it was sent or not and everyone else is gone.(didn't catch his rank). There was another guy who was found fit and even before he appealed it his ebenefits said PDA. Did you know your package was sent to the va before the claim went historical?
has a "Historical" claim been created in Ebennies yet? Yes I knbew the VA had it because it showed up in Ebennies. What does your timeline look like?

Nothing historical..
10/16/17 -MEB stared
11/17 -C&P exams
????-recommend for PEB
12/26/17- PEB package submitted
01/19/18 -found Fit(becuase NMA)
01/29/18 -request for reconsideration/FPEB sent
02/02/18 -randomly checked ebenefits seen PDA. (Have no clue when I went to PDA)

It sounds like you are resubmitting your NMA for the FPEB?

Yes..Im new to this command, they wrote it like they were giving me an award. I dont even know these people. They thought my case was a "slam dunk." The real authors of my NMA where afraid to do a new one becuase it would then "contradict the CO." There was so much other BS with this process, it would only make me more angry to type. However, I was able to provide New NMA, with verification I was moved from my department becuase of my issues. This process should be illegal.

Is Ebenefits the only way to tell if your package got sent to the VA or not?

Yes..Im new to this command, they wrote it like they were giving me an award. I dont even know these people. They thought my case was a "slam dunk." The real authors of my NMA where afraid to do a new one becuase it would then "contradict the CO." There was so much other BS with this process, it would only make me more angry to type. However, I was able to provide New NMA, with verification I was moved from my department becuase of my issues. This process should be illegal.
That's a bummer. I haven't had your exact situation, but if I do remember reading some threads that were similar concerning the NMA situation. Browse around the forum and use the search function, I know you'll find it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

No worries, the package has already been sent. Nothing eles I can really do but wait. You were very hepful, thank you.

When would any of you recommend to start checking E-Benefits? I got the MOL notification that my case was accepted on February 2nd. When I check under duty status on my BIR it says PEB CASE ACCEPTED and is dated January 24th. Not sure if this is the date it was actually accepted. The reason I bring that up is January 24th and February 2nd is a 9 day difference that it could've been at the PEB, which is significant. I've been checking EBenefits everyday just hoping, but I know that seeing nothing at this time doesn't mean anything negative or have any bearing on how my case will come back.

Re: "When would any of you recommend to start checking E-Benefits?"

As you probably know, eBenefits is not directly updated by a VA employee. It takes information from other VA systems such as the Veterans Benefits Management System (VBMS) and the result is shown in the applicable area of eBenefits. Sometimes the results shown in eBenefits are misleading.

My recommendation, which will be in the minority I suspect, is to not be concerned with unexplained blips in eBenefits. Nothing is official until the VA award/decision letter is generated, which you receive via regular mail.

I think eBenefits is excellent for filing claims, changing direct deposit, and many of its other features. Conversely, I have seen dozens of cases where a veteran becomes unduly concerned because of the erratic presentation of processing stages of claims.

Again, I am confident this opinion will be in the minority.

Good luck,

I called the PEB this morning and the Sgt up there informed me my package was sent to the VA on February 8th. I called the 1-800 number for the VA to confirm this just to hit all my bases, and the VA rep told me it was received on the 8th and they we're preparing to make my proposed ratings. Does this mean that I am found UNFIT? I'm trying not to get too excited throughout all of this until I see something in my hand with my own eyes and sign off on it. The VA rep told me it usually takes about a month to get back to the PEB, so I'd be looking around March 8th for the package to get back to them before they do all the review they have to do. Another reason I'm not trying to get ahead of myself is nothing is showing up on eBenefits at all. Is this normal? (I understand you said eBenefits isn't directly tied to the VA) just seems weird a lot of others have seen updates on there and I don't have anything. Again, just don't want to get ahead of myself or excited for nothing.