Recently separated, waiting on severance/final pay?

ChadHinton

Registered Member
I was medically separated from the Army on 26DEC2012. Silly me figured I would get my severance pay on that day or shortly thereafter. I also figured my last paycheck would come as normal.
Well, now I'm sitting here submitting all sorts of claims and calling different offices to find out whats up. I understand I may have to wait, but I have no idea how LONG I will be waiting or if everything is good to go. I can survive on savings and credit for a while but school starts in a week and now I'm sweating.
Anyone have experience leaving the service with a timeline on your final pay?

P.S: I was rated 10% from the DOD, 60% VA (waiting on VA to finish the case)

Hi Chad, I can't help with that, but maybe you can help me out. :)
Can anyone help with clarification regarding MEB/Medical Retirement? Recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been informed it will cause me to go into an MEB/Medical Retirement status. However, I was told I needed to have 18 good years service before I could medically retire. My concern is I hit my 18 year mark the middle of August this year. Anyone have any information that could help me? I don't want to see my career thrown to the side.

I should add I am an AF Reserve member, have been activated many times, but most of my time has been as a traditional reservist.

You will get it in a few weeks. The military holds your last paycheck to assure all your debt if any has been paid.

yeah they tell you during your outprocessing that your final check will be withheld to deduct any possible debts to the government. and your severance pay won't come until after your Actual OUT of military date. if you are on Terminal / transition leave, you wont get it until after that is up. ( what I was told ). if you have no transition leave, then should be no more then ten days

I was medically separated from the Army on 26DEC2012. Silly me figured I would get my severance pay on that day or shortly thereafter. I also figured my last paycheck would come as normal.
Well, now I'm sitting here submitting all sorts of claims and calling different offices to find out whats up. I understand I may have to wait, but I have no idea how LONG I will be waiting or if everything is good to go. I can survive on savings and credit for a while but school starts in a week and now I'm sweating.

My ETS date was also Dec 26 and I have not recieved anything either. I know my last paycheck was supposed to be held and they told me at finance that I would get it like a month or so after being discharged but that I would get my severance like 7 days after my ets on the 26 and still nothing.... I have called DFAS and tried calling the pay offices on post but I cannot get ahold of anyone that can help..... were you able to find anything out?

Ususally 7-10 WORKING days is normal. It can take up to 30. Give it time. You're only 4 working days out. plus this week is more thatn likely half staffed.

I was separated on 31 Dec 12 and was not briefed in my separation breifing at finance that my final pay would be held. (I'm Air Force) After talking to DFAS when I noticed that my final LES said EOM balance of $0 they explained the audit procedure to me. The gentleman that I spoke with also told me I should see my pay about 30 days out from my hold pay date. My hold pay date was 10 Dec 2012 on my LES. You may want to look at your LES and see you see a hold date in the comments at the bottom. Then calculate about 30 days out from that date. I know it sucks to wait for pay and lucky for me my husband is still active duty. I hope that this information is correct and gives you some hope. I'm waiting till Thursday before I call DFAS again.

Hi Chad, I can't help with that, but maybe you can help me out. :)
Can anyone help with clarification regarding MEB/Medical Retirement? Recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and have been informed it will cause me to go into an MEB/Medical Retirement status. However, I was told I needed to have 18 good years service before I could medically retire. My concern is I hit my 18 year mark the middle of August this year. Anyone have any information that could help me? I don't want to see my career thrown to the side.

I should add I am an AF Reserve member, have been activated many times, but most of my time has been as a traditional reservist.

Your process will most likley take longer then Aug of this year so you will hit your 18 year mark if thats what your concern is. I am not sure of the requirement for years of service with Reservist. I have just completed the MEB phase for Rheumatoid Arthritis myself and have been founf unfit from the PEB. I am now just waiting on my rating. Good luck in your journey. Make sure you read up on the VASRD 5002 to know about how your condition is rated.

Jacqueline

Ha! You know that when someone asks for help from the civilians that we are treated like bumps in their day and an interruption to their schedule, right?

I was discharged 1 February and hadnt heard anything, so decided to take care of myself and make some calls.

At 3 1/2 hours on the phone (and COUNTLESS "that's not my job" statements and passing the buck), I was told by lucky civilian number 10 that Army HRC was still showing me on Active Duty in Alaska (I left AD in 2008) and would I please send over any orders and discharge papers along with an SF 180? Seriously?

At 3 3/4 hours, I FINALLY talked to a lady who was willing to help. She said that my paperwork/situation was sent up to USAR Pay and that it would be worked this week.

I received an email today telling me that my years in service are incorrect and that it would need to be fixed.

I called a lady at the PDRL and was told that it would take 30-60 days from today (or up to SIX MONTHS) for the severance pay to hit my account. Wow. Just WOW.

I hope you are having better luck getting an answer and get paid really soon!

Question on severance:

I am currently active duty and have been for 5 years, and also was reserve for 7 years.

My question is when paying severance do you get paid of total years of service? (my mypay states 12 years of service)

Thanks,
James

Question on severance:

I am currently active duty and have been for 5 years, and also was reserve for 7 years.

My question is when paying severance do you get paid of total years of service? (my mypay states 12 years of service)

Thanks,
James

I was in a similar situation. i am getting paid for 10 years but my total active time was the time they calculate the severance off of. My extra years in service are from reserve time as well.

Man that sucks.. Thanks

Good luck to you man and best of luck to you in the future!

Just had the finance brief at JBLM and they are telling us 30-45 days after our last day on active duty.

Just had the finance brief at JBLM and they are telling us 30-45 days after our last day on active duty.

Yep i had the same brief... Its wonderful how other finance offices around the U.S. are getting done with it in 10-15.

I was discharged and placed on TDRL back in May 2008. On Feb 11, 2013 I was removed from TDRL and given severance (tax free and the VA can't touch it). I have still not received anything from DFAS or the Army. I am waiting patiently but who knows... Just a heads up it can take way longer than 7-10 and 30-45 days. This Saturday is the 90day mark for me.

I received mine the 3rd week in April. I called and talked to the department at JBLM finance that deals with this, and they usually start the severance work between the 2nd and 3rd week for the previous month, and usually takes about a week to finish, and another week to get in the bank account. If it has been longer then 45 days, I would call and ask about it.

Well on mypay I shows listed as being paid tomorrow....One thing I notice is it is a lot more than I expected and it does not show that they took any taxes. Is this new for 2013 ? I thought I would have to request it back from them.

Well on mypay I shows listed as being paid tomorrow....One thing I notice is it is a lot more than I expected and it does not show that they took any taxes. Is this new for 2013 ? I thought I would have to request it back from them.

I got the right amount here in 2013, as mentioned above, it was definitely taxed, but they added my last paycheck in there as well.