receving pay after out

chpperlvr64

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
my question for the group is this: after you either retire or seperated from service do you get payed from the va on your final day of discharged or how long does it take. cus once you sign off on approving the descision that is given to you, you shouldnt have to wait months after your final out to get paid. please let me know, also i keep getting told that the va is still going over my case to rate me which is frustrating

Generally, VA compensation starts between a month to four months after separation via IDES. It's supposed to start within thirty days but sometimes there can be a delay for whatever reason. If retired, you will start receiving retirement immediately until VA kicks in.

my question for the group is this: after you either retire or seperated from service do you get payed from the va on your final day of discharged or how long does it take. cus once you sign off on approving the descision that is given to you, you shouldnt have to wait months after your final out to get paid. please let me know, also i keep getting told that the va is still going over my case to rate me which is frustrating
Well, in most cases on here, including mine, if applicable, you will receive your first retirement pay the following month after the month you retire. For example, I retired 27 MAY, I received my first retirement check on 1 JUL. However, the VA ratings are much longer. I am still waiting to received my finalized ratings. Based on others' receipt of their VA pay on the forum, I was told that I SHOULD receive my first VA payment on 1 SEP. There are some in instances that have retired around the same time as me and received their first VA payment on 1 AUG. Yeah you shouldn't have to wait, but that is the norm with the VA back log. Good luck and keep us posted when you do receive payment!

Thanks for the info but you should have your finished ratings before you get out I wOuld think and you shOuldn't have to wait to get paid from the va its such bs having to wait to receive pay from them what are you suppoaed to do if youdon't have enough money to survive till then ya know f ing bs

Thanks for the info but you should have your finished ratings before you get out I wOuld think and you shOuldn't have to wait to get paid from the va its such bs having to wait to receive pay from them what are you suppoaed to do if youdon't have enough money to survive till then ya know f ing bs
Yeah, really! I agree! It's sad, but my family is making ends meet with alternative income. I really feel bad for some people that are in similar situations. Although VA is taking forever still on my ratings, I am blessed as we have a roof over our heads, food to eat, and are able to pay bills. But you're right, having to wait this long is BS! I was initially told that I would start receiving VA payments the next month after I retired. The VA's response was that you get paid in July for June benefits-go figure!

Generally, VA compensation starts between a month to four months after separation via IDES. It's supposed to start within thirty days but sometimes there can be a delay for whatever reason. If retired, you will start receiving retirement immediately until VA kicks in.
Did you receive VA back pay? If so, when did it come? Was it separate from your regular payment?

I would like to think you get back pay but knowing them probably not since you filed it while You were still active they really have to fix there whole system cus when you are on your last day of active duty and the next day your out you should get your check shortly after that not no 1-4 months after your officially out cus when your out your findings and ratings are complete you signed off on everything and you get your either seperation or retire date there is no need to wait on the va's descision anymore

I would like to think you get back pay but knowing them probably not since you filed it while You were still active they really have to fix there whole system cus when you are on your last day of active duty and the next day your out you should get your check shortly after that not no 1-4 months after your officially out cus when your out your findings and ratings are complete you signed off on everything and you get your either seperation or retire date there is no need to wait on the va's descision anymore

Everybody here understands your frustration, but also know it is an established process. Yes, you get proposed ratings, but that is exactly what they are, proposed. The reason for this is because you can not receive any form of VA compensation benefits until you are a veteran. They don't make that rule, your fine elected official do, and it is part of public law.

Yes, one would think your proposed ratings could become final ratings the day after you separate, but that also isn't the case. A few factors play into this. One, your rating decision is reviewed for accuracy, two, this doesn't just happen, you fall into a stack of paperwork and are processed in the order you hit the list. Finally, there are many things that need to connect between the VA and the military. The big one being your DD 214 to get the ball rolling. Sometimes a MSC may not be great and hangs on to DD 214s until he gets a couple of weeks. Yes it wrong, but there are sub par workers in every job in the world.

My final point would be to say that your separation was a planned event in some form or another. It took at least 6 months to complete your board process, and D Day was not a surprise. Some planning on your part was required, and planning for waiting on this has to cross your mind. Veterans today, me included, are taken care of bettr than any generation in the past. It is constantly improving and is way better today than it was even 10 years ago. Where I feel the crime is, is how a Vietnam Vet has to wait nearly two years to get earned benefits. You will get paid in a few months.

Be patient, write your congressman, and remain active in future legislation. Will it help you?, no, but it will help future vets.

Joe

Ranger, that is true how some Vietnam Vets have to wait years, and many have to wait for very low ratings and keep fighting for increases. Many Vets who fought in wars are having to fight for compensation and there are many who were never deployed nor fought who receive compensation-even 100%. What's even sadder is how many of those same Vets are so mentally affected that they aren't even able to file claims. The VA needs to revisit their compensation and claims process so that ALL VETERANS, new, seasoned, deployed, non-deployed, those who fought in wars, and those who didn't fight should be able to have a feasible process, which doesn't add more stress and which compensation shouldn't be a battle to fight for.

Ranger, that is true how some Vietnam Vets have to wait years, and many have to wait for very low ratings and keep fighting for increases. Many Vets who fought in wars are having to fight for compensation and there are many who were never deployed nor fought who receive compensation-even 100%. What's even sadder is how many of those same Vets are so mentally affected that they aren't even able to file claims. The VA needs to revisit their compensation and claims process so that ALL VETERANS, new, seasoned, deployed, non-deployed, those who fought in wars, and those who didn't fight should be able to have a feasible process, which doesn't add more stress and which compensation shouldn't be a battle to fight for.
Preaching to the choir. Most here couldn't agree more. :)

One point I want to make that hasn't been made in this thread is that: If at all possible, VA compensation should not be relied upon as income. I know that's easier said than done and that many veterans are too severely limited and disabled to work; thus, must rely on disability compensation. Also, SM's need to prepare for separation by saving as much as they can.

[URL='http://pebforum.com/site/members/chpperlvr64.24827/'][COLOR=#000000]chpperlvr64[/COLOR][/URL] said:

I read this and agree, But i cannot help but look into history. There seem to be alot of people complaining that stuff does not happen fast enough, that there is a gap between service and VA benefits;

First off, the VA is working HARD. The VA is a TREMENDOUS organization that is kicking butt to make sure you and me are taken care off; The backlog is not a joke, but neither is the incoming cases and vietnam vets and what not; The VA provides education, compensation, employment services, disability services, and rehabilitation services to you, me, and Sergeant Snuffy...That being said, they deserve ALOT more credit than alot of people on this site want to give them because "OhEmGeee...its taking FOREVER...."

Secondly, I, and the other more seasoned people on this site understand that frustration, anxiety, and the feeling of being helpless is very real! We know that you feel frustrated and alone, but there has to be a line drawn in the sand where enough is enough.

Thirdly, the IDES process completes VA compensation in approx. 12 months (dont know the most recent numbers, but lets use this as i know its getting shorter and shorter....mine took about 10 months.) Out of those 12 months, WORST case scenario, only 4 of them are without VA income (and in that case the DoD is still paying.......)

Long story short, you are 4 months with reduced income VERSUS 12-24 months off the old system. It is NIGHT AND DAY difference. Its easy to miss the point that the va is doing a great job when all you know is the new system, I was honored and gratefull enough to be in the IDES process; A process that the VA implemented to speed up the process.

Now I am going to get off of my high horse.

One point I want to make that hasn't been made in this thread is that: If at all possible, VA compensation should not be relied upon as income. I know that's easier said than done and that many veterans are too severely limited and disabled to work; thus, must rely on disability compensation. Also, SM's need to prepare for separation by saving as much as they can.

Very well stated, in my opinion! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Yes, I definitely should have saved, especially since I haven't started receiving my VA payments. Factually, with my VA compensation and disability benefits, that is just as much as I was when I was on Active Duty. With the unemployment added, that is actually more than what I was making-go figure!

I read this and agree, But i cannot help but look into history. There seem to be alot of people complaining that stuff does not happen fast enough, that there is a gap between service and VA benefits;

First off, the VA is working HARD. The VA is a TREMENDOUS organization that is kicking butt to make sure you and me are taken care off; The backlog is not a joke, but neither is the incoming cases and vietnam vets and what not; The VA provides education, compensation, employment services, disability services, and rehabilitation services to you, me, and Sergeant Snuffy...That being said, they deserve ALOT more credit than alot of people on this site want to give them because "OhEmGeee...its taking FOREVER...."

Secondly, I, and the other more seasoned people on this site understand that frustration, anxiety, and the feeling of being helpless is very real! We know that you feel frustrated and alone, but there has to be a line drawn in the sand where enough is enough.

Thirdly, the IDES process completes VA compensation in approx. 12 months (dont know the most recent numbers, but lets use this as i know its getting shorter and shorter....mine took about 10 months.) Out of those 12 months, WORST case scenario, only 4 of them are without VA income (and in that case the DoD is still paying.......)

Long story short, you are 4 months with reduced income VERSUS 12-24 months off the old system. It is NIGHT AND DAY difference. Its easy to miss the point that the va is doing a great job when all you know is the new system, I was honored and gratefull enough to be in the IDES process; A process that the VA implemented to speed up the process.

Now I am going to get off of my high horse.
Yeah, I agree on some aspects of your response, however if a SM completes an IDES with proposed ratings, I think 3-4 months is more than ample time to finalize proposed ratings for a claim that was submitted 15 months ago. I became a Veteran in May. Not only VA, but other government agencies continue to have problems with servicing claims and etc. But they have the budget, just hire more employees. I am really appreciative that I am even able to receive VA tax free compensation-that is a blessing, itself. However, being appreciative won't feed my children, provide for these newborns, pay these bills, and keep a roof over my head. But, in the meantime, I have no other choice, but wait. Maybe legislation will aid in expediting the process for all Vets. I can damn near guarantee if there was an incentive-based claims process for employees, more claims would be processed.

Yeah, I agree on some aspects of your response, however if a SM completes an IDES with proposed ratings, I think 3-4 months is more than ample time to finalize proposed ratings for a claim that was submitted 15 months ago. I became a Veteran in May. Not only VA, but other government agencies continue to have problems with servicing claims and etc. But they have the budget, just hire more employees. I am really appreciative that I am even able to receive VA tax free compensation-that is a blessing, itself. However, being appreciative won't feed my children, provide for these newborns, pay these bills, and keep a roof over my head. But, in the meantime, I have no other choice, but wait. Maybe legislation will aid in expediting the process for all Vets. I can damn near guarantee if there was an incentive-based claims process for employees, more claims would be processed.

What you dont know...
There are incentives for VA raters.
To be a VA rater you have to have a minimum of a bachelors degree.
There are even mandatory overtime rotations...
"The Budget" has already been filled to "Hire more employees"
New Hires take time to train
New Hires make mistakes (and thats ok, because they are new...but in the end it makes it hard)

You are thinking singularly. A single claims processor processes HUNDREDS of claims a week; That person is overworked, over criticized, and under appreciated (dont know the salary, so dont know the pay). I find it very narcissistic and self serving to believe that in the current culture (Backlog, forced overtime, never ending workload on raters) that you feel the need to imply that you are not being served fast enough. This is the line in the sand, at least in my mind. I understand, and feel for your situation! I really do, but as Ranger(I believe) already said, and as YOU just said, 15 months is a LONG time to prepare for the inevitable D-Day of separation. That is, according to standard accountancy practices of safe, and managable saving, plenty of time to save 4 months of income.

On behalf of your newborns! CONGRATULATIONS! I have recently gotten bit by the baby bug and really wanna get this family thing started! Best of luck to you! I dont doubt, (from your concern of the future) that you will provide for those babies! And I am assuming they are twins because its plural....that alone must be taxing and stressful!

What you dont know...
There are incentives for VA raters.
To be a VA rater you have to have a minimum of a bachelors degree.
There are even mandatory overtime rotations...
"The Budget" has already been filled to "Hire more employees"
New Hires take time to train
New Hires make mistakes (and thats ok, because they are new...but in the end it makes it hard)

You are thinking singularly. A single claims processor processes HUNDREDS of claims a week; That person is overworked, over criticized, and under appreciated (dont know the salary, so dont know the pay). I find it very narcissistic and self serving to believe that in the current culture (Backlog, forced overtime, never ending workload on raters) that you feel the need to imply that you are not being served fast enough. This is the line in the sand, at least in my mind. I understand, and feel for your situation! I really do, but as Ranger(I believe) already said, and as YOU just said, 15 months is a LONG time to prepare for the inevitable D-Day of separation. That is, according to standard accountancy practices of safe, and managable saving, plenty of time to save 4 months of income.

On behalf of your newborns! CONGRATULATIONS! I have recently gotten bit by the baby bug and really wanna get this family thing started! Best of luck to you! I dont doubt, (from your concern of the future) that you will provide for those babies! And I am assuming they are twins because its plural....that alone must be taxing and stressful!

Thank you, foremost and as you said, yeah twins-good analysis! The savings part could have been less difficult, but I am taking great care of the babies and yes, our needs are met. Although, I have no knowledge of the ratings process during finalization, nor the raters-mere speculation was expressed in my opinion. As a former Department of Treasury employee for over 10 years prior to military service, claims and payments were delayed until an incentive-based program was implemented which boosted processing time for tax refunds and etc. The more tax refunds or payments that were processed, the more money the employees made based on percentages. There are millions of employees that go to work and do their job accurately and in a timely manner, while there are some that are slackers or take their time, per say, especially if they are overworked and or underpaid. This may not be the case, but neither you nor I are raters or VA employees handling the final ratings. Thanks for your input and in conclusion, prior to retirement, little income equates to little savings.

Good thread guys, I like all the comments stated above!
As to the original question, I think this will give you an idea of what you were asking and explain how the pay works out.
Here's what happened to me when I retired last year:
Oct 30th was my retirement date
Dec 1st was my first retirement pay for the prior month plus 1 day for Oct
Dec 31st was my second retirement payment
Jan 15th was when the VA did my final rating
Jan 31st was my third retirement payment
Feb 15th was my first VA payment for the offset of VA benefit to retire pay from Oct 31st to Jan 31st
Feb 28th was my fourth retirement pay
March 1st was second VA payment (but first official payment for an entire month) plus the difference for Feb
I think mine was a little screwy, but in the end I only got screwed an extra month of taxable income.
Hope this helps!!!

Good thread guys, I like all the comments stated above!
As to the original question, I think this will give you an idea of what you were asking and explain how the pay works out.
Here's what happened to me when I retired last year:
Oct 30th was my retirement date
Dec 1st was my first retirement pay for the prior month plus 1 day for Oct
Dec 31st was my second retirement payment
Jan 15th was when the VA did my final rating
Jan 31st was my third retirement payment
Feb 15th was my first VA payment for the offset of VA benefit to retire pay from Oct 31st to Jan 31st
Feb 28th was my fourth retirement pay
March 1st was second VA payment (but first official payment for an entire month) plus the difference for Feb
I think mine was a little screwy, but in the end I only got screwed an extra month of taxable income.
Hope this helps!!!
Thanks Grizz! This was really helpful-glad you're back!!

ok guys so i talked to my case manager today and he told me that my va case was closed on aug 30th my unofficial ratings are this
DOD-10%
VA-100%
now my question/advice is this how can it be such a big differance between them and what would you do with these numbers( accept or appeal) i understand that these numbers are not official yet and could still change from what he told me but i just need some input here thanks

What are your unfit claims, percentages, and are you satisfied with having those? Being you get 100% VA you are pretty set for the rest of your life, though you'll have to figure out a budget on your severence pay. Figure about 4 months to live off of that.