Redux question

Mossyman

Registered Member
I am at 21 years in the Army and have completed the MEB process. The only thing I'm waiting on is clearing papers. Since I took the Redux at 15 retirement services is telling me I fall under that retirement plan. According to the DFAS website since I'm being medically retired I am not affected other than the 1% COLA. After finally getting a human at DFAS she said its up to the branch of service on what plan I fall under. Does anyone know what I fall under because no one here at Benning has a clue.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you are supposed to fall under whichever is most beneficial for you.

I use the search button and I've seen that post along with many others but it contradicts what everyone else (retirement services, Fort Benning finance office, and DFAS) is telling me.

https://www.garrison.hawaii.army.mil/dhr/rso/CAREER STATUS BONUS (CSB REDUX)/10 CSB REDUX FAQS.pdf

Suppose a soldier elects CSB/REDUX and accepts the $30,000 CSB but later retires for disability. Which formula will be used to calculate the soldier’s retired pay?

If High-3, will the soldier have to pay back the CSB?

Will this soldier receive COLAs based on the High-3 or CSB/REDUX retired pay formula?

The High-3 formula would be used. The soldier would not have to pay back the $30,000 CSB. Because this soldier originally elected REDUX, the soldier will receive the reduced CSB/REDUX COLAs even though the disability retired pay will be calculated under the High-3 formula.

I saw that one as well...if only it was easy enough to show them these posts and tell them to not place me under the redux retirement plan. I'm just confused as to why DFAS would say one thing on their website but tell me something different.

The confusion lies in this: there are different rules for those over or under 20.

If you are over 20 you gain certain advantages such as CDRP. You gain the disadvantage of being stuck with redux.

Under 20 and you have the advantage of redux bonus at 15 not being recouped, but with the disadvantage of not getting CDRP.

Of course TERA is an exception to both.

I took the redux and had over 26 years active duty when medically retired. Sure DFAS states you will only lose the 1% COLA but the pay difference is corrected when DFAS figures your retirement and VA pay. I show my total pay for over 26 years on my retired statement but then the redux difference is adjusted to correct the minor difference in my personal pay. Since I had over 26 years active duty, the difference is less than $175.00 per month. I took the redux so I have no problem with the adjustment. Now I have heard "stories", which I can't verify, that some individuals questioned it and are not getting the amount adjusted in their pay. If that is the case and whoever changed the adjustment at DFAS to not reflect the deduction amount of the redux and they are wrong whenever DFAS figures the mistake I'm sure they would recoup the overpayment. If DFAS is wrong for adjusting my personnel pay then when DFAS figures out that they were wrong they would owe me. By the way I did call DFAS and questioned my concerns and was told, after they looked over my situation, that the adjusted amount was correct.

Last edited:
Was your initial retirement figured under high-3 (2.5%xLOS) or the redux percentage? I'm being told by retirement services that my medical retirement (23 yrs LOS) will be 50.79%. The manuals and Jag told me it would be high 3 except I am still bound to the cola adjustment. Final out on Nov 2nd and noone can tell me what my check is going to be. :(