REFRAD

jamcat77

Registered Member
Does anyone know the regs for returning Guard soldiers back to duty? Or where I can find them? It seems the WTU unit at Ft. Carson has a habit of returning soldiers back to their units before they are healed.

Chinook

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hey jamcat77,

If you're still at Ft Carson, then we are neighbors. I can see the hospital from my backyard :rolleyes:. Are you doing ok other than not being healed and being sent back to your unit? Let us know if you need anything else.

Happy Thanksgiving...What are the soldiers in the WTU doing for Thanksgiving?

I was wondering how the WTU at Ft Carson was doing-I heard it was new....

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Does anyone know the regs for returning Guard soldiers back to duty? Or where I can find them? It seems the WTU unit at Ft. Carson has a habit of returning soldiers back to their units before they are healed.
I think in order to know what regulations apply, you need to give more details. Are they terminating MEB cases? Or are there return to duty fit findings from the PEB in the cases you are talking about? But, the relevant regulations have already been posted, except for AR 645-40. You can find that reg in the Army Info forum.

jamcat77

Registered Member
Let's see if I can respond to everyone. Thanks for the links to the AR's. I already have the consolidated guidance, but there are not a lot of specifics regarding reserve component soldiers. In my (and several other) case(s), the PCM is trying to initiate REFRAD before the proscribed healing plan is complete. This is OK for active soldiers because they can find work with their units while they are still on profile. There are even some jobs that a profile will not hinder for reserve soldiers. But everything I have read says that "until care is complete" the soldier will not be REFRAD. I take that to mean physical therapy as well as surgeries because it is still care.

We actually had a meeting with the head of the medical side of things and got it sorted out for now, but it concerns me that soldiers without the experience to fight (against idiots like my PCM) are being screwed over and declared fit for duty when they are clearly not.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

64chief

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Let's see if I can respond to everyone. Thanks for the links to the AR's. I already have the consolidated guidance, but there are not a lot of specifics regarding reserve component soldiers. In my (and several other) case(s), the PCM is trying to initiate REFRAD before the proscribed healing plan is complete. This is OK for active soldiers because they can find work with their units while they are still on profile. There are even some jobs that a profile will not hinder for reserve soldiers. But everything I have read says that "until care is complete" the soldier will not be REFRAD. I take that to mean physical therapy as well as surgeries because it is still care.

We actually had a meeting with the head of the medical side of things and got it sorted out for now, but it concerns me that soldiers without the experience to fight (against idiots like my PCM) are being screwed over and declared fit for duty when they are clearly not.

Thanks again for all of the responses!
If you can remember, how did you work it out with the chief? I am in the exact same scenario

Padgettra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If you are REFRAD back to the State, then there is a program called INCAP that helps reservist that cannot return to their previous employment while they are in the healing/MEB process. In short, active duty should retain and make a soldier whole before terminating the title 10 orders, yet we all know there is pressure to off load soldiers back to the National Guard. Plus, many individuals just want to go home and do not "fight" for all of the entitlements. Just my opinion and limited experience with the Air Force process.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
If you can remember, how did you work it out with the chief? I am in the exact same scenario
You are responding to a post that is 10 years old.

From my own past experience, use the patient advocate or WTB Ombudsman.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">