Remote Care MEB/College Option

only1shakyjake

PEB Forum Regular Member
Does anyone know of a regulation for a remote care MEB? My unit seems to not realize that I do not know my "out" date and therefore can not plan to get a job once I am out. With 2 babies I have to make sure there is food on the table and my wife is trying to get a job but without me being able to be home at a decent hour, it will just not be possible here. Any advice or references would be greatly appreciated. I have been in this process since august 2009 and am about fed up with it!

highly doubt it. You would have to first be considered unfit. But even then you still have to wait for the VA ratings. You arent even supposed to take leave during an MEB w/out prior approval. Once the findings get back then you have 90 days (for AF at least) to get out. Youd still have to outprocess, go through TAPS, etc. They wouldnt pay for a move in the event that you are found fit or need to fight the va rating.

I tried to find out about this, as I was told by my PEBLO it was possible, and another PEBLO that it was not. Only regulation I could find deals with Home Awaiting Orders for MEB Soldiers who were inpatients when their MEB was initiated. See AR 635-40, Appendix E, Paragraph E-5 (a) through (c).

E–5. Administrative control of Soldiers after PEB action

b. Physically unfit. The MTF commander will retain a Soldier under his or her control pending final review and
approval of his or her case.

One thing to keep in mind, if you are found unfit, whether you are retired or separated with severance, you are authorized an extra 10 days of PTDY, for up to 20 days. Not to say that your approval authority will approve it (mine is giving me a very hard time about it). Check out AR 600-8-10, Chapter 5, Paragraph 5-35 d. (8) and (9) and e.(1)

d. All eligible soldiers are authorized ten (10) days transition PTDY, as provided in paragraph f, below. The
following soldiers are authorized additional transition PTDY in conjunction with their transition from active duty. If the
soldier is being separated for reasons not listed below, he or she is not authorized additional (that is, in excess of 10
days) transition TDY.

(8) Officers and enlisted soldiers separated for reason of disability rated at less than 30 percent. Commanders must
ensure that a DA Form 31 (Request and Authority for Leave) with inclusive dates of PTDY and leave accompanies the
packet forwarded to the Physical Evaluation Board (PEB). If the PEB finds the soldier fit for duty, the DA Form 31
will be voided.

(9) Officers and enlisted soldiers who have an approved voluntary retirement or disability retirement.

I can tell you that it IS possible. I have completed a great deal of my MEB/PEB as a USAR AGR Soldier assigned to the Fort Drum WTU, but with duty at my home in Maine. As a remote care Soldier, I have to have a duty location (local recruiting stations are usually pretty willing to have an able body answer the phones for them). I call in to Fort Drum every day to check in for a telephonic formation and that's it. The question, however, is this: will your commander authorize it. It's at his/her discretion.

I actually PCS'd from recruiting duty in Connecticut to Fort Drum for my MEB/PEB. My wife went back Maine. After all of my initial MEB/VA appointments were done, I was simply waiting for my Fit/Unfit finding. After about a month, my 1SG and nurse case manager started advocating for the command to let me go to Maine to be with my wife. The only thing I can say for myself is that I'm an E-7, so I think that helped. I also was an exemplary Soldier while I was actually at Fort Drum. Since they had no problems with me, they were willing to let me go. I just signed my DA 199 last Friday, & now I'm just awaiting retirement orders.... at home.

Good luck.

Jeff

Well here is an update. Upon asking my Command team to go on the school option while this process plays out I was told that I had to show up every morning to do "PT". After, I tried to explain the fact that I am not a normal ETS'ing Soldier and my wife needs to get a job so we can pay the bills until I get out and was told "What does that have to do with you being at work?" Ignorance running wild if you ask me. These leaders swear they want to take care of Soldiers yet those of us that are hurt get thrown under the bus. Frustrated and debating going to talk to my BDE CDR since my 1SG seems to think my MEB is taking so long because "the doctors are looking at your stuff and saying hmmmmm he doesnt need to be kicked out" I was speechless.

Back