Requests for Increases in VA Ratings--AFTER Retirement or Separation

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
This does not pertain to the PEB/MEB/IDES processing.

A fellow member of another board to which I belong recently posted the recommendations below. They are important since he is a current rater with the VA.

[start]
About twice a year I’d say I post warnings like the following. Cases where you just have to shake your head. Some info may or may not be tweaked to protect the guilty.

Rated a claim for increase that wound up being a GIANT decrease.

Vet a couple week ago received a BVA decision that denied an increase in conditions but granted IU and there were no future exams, so this vet would soon be TDIU. This will be important later; the increases where denied by BVA because improvement was indicated on the last exams 2 years ago, but was not “sustained improvement” under 3.344, so the ratings were continued. No RFE set as vet is over 55. 3.327.

So, this vet had it, made TDIU, just had to wait for the rating decision to execute BVA’s decision....but no....

The vet files a regular claim for increase on the issues just denied an increase by BVA. BVA decision is executed giving vet years of back pay. But days after that, has the increase claim C&Ps.

You guessed it, the new exams confirm improvement. So the result is proposed reductions which takes this vet to an overall of 30%. Thus resulting also in proposing the discontinuance of IU and chapter 35.

Sent the case info to a VBA friend of mine to review something for me, his response, “too bad the vet didn’t have a VSO.”

If you don’t know what you’re doing, get a VSO. I’ll remember this case for awhile. Peace.
VBA RVSR 2016-current
[end]

Ron

Last edited:
Wowza. Keep this one in the back pocket for future reference for sure.

This why it is important to understand 1) the process and 2) have a handle on what your claim is worth (vice what you would like it to be worth).

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a question; can I submit new evidence to get a couple of ratings review/increase? or do I have to wait until I retire? I was given wrong information by my PEBLO and assigned lawyer.
I have my telephonic FPEB tomorrow but I am only submitting one appeal (referred condition)

Thanks

You can submit new evidence and you should definitely do that before you retire.

Hi,

I have a question; can I submit new evidence to get a couple of ratings review/increase? or do I have to wait until I retire? I was given wrong information by my PEBLO and assigned lawyer.
I have my telephonic FPEB tomorrow but I am only submitting one appeal (referred condition)

Thanks
VA claims less than 12 months old can be appealed. You can file your appeal via E-Benefits.

Thank you Mike,

one more question/opinion/feedback; I was awarded 0% for Migraines for a diagnosis given back in 2010, since my diagnosis I have been taken OTC(Tylenol, Advil) but now they don't work and I went to see my doctor and he prescribed migraine medication. the question is; I have only one encounter stating that I started the medication. will that be enough to submit an appeal? or should I wait until I have more doctor visits?

Thank you