Requirements to be in med board

mike1010

Registered Member
My buddy is currently in airforce bootcamp and he has called me because he has been having medical problems (chest pains, back problems) and anyways, he is wondering if they will put him in med board. so he wants to know what are the requirements to be placed in med board.

I guess med board is a bad thing? because you dont get any benefits or something? Or maybe thats backwards. I could only understand half of what he was saying on his pay phone so I don't really understand whats going on, but he did want to know what one has to do to be in med board in the air force.

Thanks for any help! I'm totally lost trying to search this on google.

You need to be referred by your PCM.

Barring gross negligence that led to his (Chest pains, back problems) on the account of his instructors (That he can prove btw) he should and will most likely be seperated/chaptered out with no benefits as the military doesn't owe him anything at this point as it will be seen as obviously something that was missed at MEPS if anything at all and will most probably be classified as "Existed Prior to Service". This is especially so in the AF as the BCT doesn't have as rigorously strict physical requirements as combat BCT's that the army or marines have. However it also depends on how long he has been in as I know AF BCT is a little over a month long and if he hasn't even been in 30 days on active duty he may not even qualify for a medical board. Also chest pain and back pain are pretty normal for basic training especially for people who led a lethargic life or didn't exercise daily before joining, we'll need ALOT more information to understand your friends problem if we are to try to give any advice. Also note this is from my knowledge of the army system and schools and not the airforce it may be different but I highly doubt it. From your post it sounds like your friend just wants to get out with benefits btw which is frowned upon in most circles especially if he's only in basic training. If such is the case that he simply wants benefits, I would HIGHLY recommend against him asking for any kind of board which would lead to an investigation into his problems which could end up with him getting discharged for "Fraudulent Enlistment" if its found that the problems existed before entry and he lied about them.

I think Ryan R is correct. Would seem pretty werid if they allowed him a "retirement" based on an injury in basic training. However, I am not the expert here. Personally, it would erck me that he would get a med board which could subsequently lead to a medical retirement if rated at 30% or more right out of basic training. Especially since most of us that have been in for A LOT longer have to fight and fight to get a retirement after years of abuse to our bodies and minds. There are a lot of people that went out, deployed and got hurt and are fighting for retirement. Thats just my personal erck though. Ask Jason or Maparker's opinion they are the experts. I have 11 years in..numerous bullgings discs, ankylosing spondilitis, PTSD, tbi adn a slew of medical problems from my 11 years and 4 deployments...so yea..a retirement out of basic would erk me.

I don't completely understand my buddy's situation or even what a med board is, or what his intentions are, but I definitely have a lot of respect for you guys that do serve and put in your time so thanks for doing what you do!

My buddy was actually in a car accident when he was younger and he thinks his back problems are from that, but he did fail to mention the back problems when joining. However he thinks if they kick him out for fraudulent enlistment it wont be a big deal only because he hasnt been there that long. I think they put him in a different unit or something just a few weeks in.

I feel kinda bad now because my friend is sounding kinda like a dick and here michigan0782 and the rest of you are putting in time and paying the price for it.

He could get MEB from basic training if the accident happened there or was irritated more from the military. Since the accident happened prior to enlistment and he failed to list it, chances are he will get nothing. I was investigated for fraudulent enlistment (I didn't) years ago and it was not a good situation. The OSI was invovled and I was called downtown to a hotel for the investigation. The government still spent a lot of money on him up to this point so I'm not sure it will be nothing.

A MEB is supposed to be initiated when one has a triggering condition. See enclosure 4 of DoDI 1332.38 for a listing of such conditions. You do not have to be in for 30 days to qualify for disability benefits. Rather, one must be on active duty and the orders to active duty state the call to active duty is for more than 30 days. Those in basic training are covered from day one.

Fraudulent enlistment is a big deal. Did he deliberately leave off the back issue or did the back issue only resurface once he hit basic? Permanent aggravation of pre existing condition is compensable under the Disability Evaluation System.

Decades ago, I had a friend who enlisted in the Navy. He had migraines as a kid and the recruiter told him not to list the condition. He wasn’t in basic but about two weeks when he had a monster migraine attack. They were going to charge him with fraudulent enlistment but backed off when they learned of the recruiter’s role in the issue. He was discharged with an honorable discharge if memory serves.

Yes, one can be medically retired out of basic training. It is not an issue of time served. It is an issue of the compensability of the unfitting condition (incurred or aggravated on while entitled to basic pay w/o gross neglect) and the rating (30%+) of the unfitting condition.

Imagine the situation of a recruit being accidentally shot by another recruit on the rifle range and paralyzed. That individual would certainly receive a disability retirement.

Mike

maparker is correct, and in the situation he mentions it makes sense I'm sorry if I was a bit critical. Its just that I remember quite a few soldiers back when I worked at the school house who would get medical retirements and disability and to the boards they looked far worse than they really were because they were constantly hitting up sick call and just complained enough, these were guys straight out of basic too. We had this one gal who was an older woman who was just barely on the age line and I think required a waiver, she had permanent profiles straight out of basic and eventually was medically retired after a few months along with her husband who was also old who joined in and ended up with the same permanent profiles, arthritis, etc. It makes me mad not so much that they got taken care of but that I know many people who have been in for years who don't get a retirement or barely any disability rating from the boards and its mostly because they had a longstanding condition and just dealt with it and to the board it didn't appear as if there was enough evidence. I know a sergeant whos been in 15 years, been blown up a few times, had a few surgeries and just kept trucking but because he challenged the 20% rating they gave him 0% I believe and severance pay because there wasn't enough evidence, he then fought that and they found him fit for duty. However from knowing the guy a few years you know he had problems but learned to compensate for his deficits and thats what got him. I really think the army medical sick call system is broken and that our troops would get better care if there was a after hours sick call that didn't interfere with duty, (the ER its not a sick call btw) and I think that would really fight the stigma in the army about taking care of oneself. I firmly believe that many conditions, injuries, and accidents would be remedied and soldiers in many cases would be able to get better because they would seek treatment and not have such chronic problems if this was put into effect.

I'm not sure that is the answer. I have gone in for an issue and as soon as they started talking MEB my mouth was shut. I suffered through a lot and I've seen others do the same just to stay in. Yes I paid for it at the MEB when they finally caught up to me but I feel it was worth it. I would still like to have stayed.

There are people who only do things to avoid a situation or to get something for free. There is a price for everything and nothing is free. I'm paying a heavy price in my opinion for my actions but others are paying a much higher price. I try hard not to think of what others are doing because it will drive you crazy.

I'm not sure that is the answer. I have gone in for an issue and as soon as they started talking MEB my mouth was shut. I suffered through a lot and I've seen others do the same just to stay in. Yes I paid for it at the MEB when they finally caught up to me but I feel it was worth it. I would still like to have stayed.

There are people who only do things to avoid a situation or to get something for free. There is a price for everything and nothing is free. I'm paying a heavy price in my opinion for my actions but others are paying a much higher price. I try hard not to think of what others are doing because it will drive you crazy.

You're right Jeep Freak. I see several young soldiers right now that have back injuries, knee injuries, etc... and they insist on "toughing it out" because they are afraid of how their fellow soldiers will view them. I try very hard to explain that, years from now, when they are out of the Army and having trouble finding a job, etc... their fellow soldiers will not be there to take care of them and most likely won't even remember your name. So to hell with what any of them think. Get your issues addressed ASAP because it is unlikely that it will magically heal itself and more likely that it will just get worse. Remember, it is you that will have to live with the pain and aggravation the rest of your life...is it really worth it? I think not.