script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Reserve Components: Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force -- chance to be heard

VAJumper

PEB Forum Veteran
All who have had or or having medical continuation orders or DES issues should post their comments (anonymous) after this news article. This may be our one chance to get the attention of Congress to correct the problems with Reserve orders issues and the DES. The period for comments is normally closed after a few days.

Air Force colonel claims lack of oversight in reserve health care | 13NEWS / WVEC.com | Hampton Roads News, Breaking News | wvec.com | News for Hampton Roads, Virginia

Although problems with the DES weren't detailed in this news report or article, it was one of three main points discussed with Congressman Wittman.

robs42

PEB Forum Veteran
i added my 2 cents and i hope other in the same boat as us do. way to go doug!!!

VAJumper

PEB Forum Veteran
Colonel Claims Fault in Health Care

Thanks for all who replied to comment section as this story has gained traction in the House, Senate, and DoD. SMSgt McDermott and I doing this to bring attention to the plight of all active duty, reserve, and guard members enlisted and officer injured or ill in the line of duty.

Once the tip of the iceburg is exposed, details of the flaws in the DES system will come to light as well--I can assure you.

Doug Strand

Ruptured Duck

PEB Forum Veteran
We need to protect the 850,000 Reserve and National Guard members with new policies aimed at enforcement and accountability ABOVE the DoD level. EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET INVOLVED!

VAJumper

PEB Forum Veteran
Reserve Components: An Amendment to the 2011 Defense Authorization Bill for YOU!

New Letter to Congressman Wittman. If you support these amendments, please write your Congressman. Here's a link: Contacting the Congress
----------------------------------

Gentleman,

I’d like to ask for Congressman Wittman’s support of Congressman Schrader’s amendments to the annual defense authorization bill which contains provisions for a study of military medical processing and entitlement education due to the poor treatment of injured/ill military. However, both amendments should not be limited to just the Army returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. The standards should be applied to all Reserve and Guard injured or ill in the line of duty from all branches of service. Afghanistan and Iraq are not the only places our Reservists and Guard are injured in the line of duty. Those with injuries sustained at home, aboard ship, or even in training status should be afforded equal care and treatment under the laws which must be enforced; with those responsible for violating the laws held accountable.

Feel free to use my case as an example. I’m ready to testify if needed.

Respectfully,

//signed—DPS//
DOUGLAS P. STRAND, COL, USAFR

House seeks probe of Guard medical treatment

By Peter Urban - Gannett Washington Bureau
Posted : Thursday May 27, 2010 18:13:58 EDT

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

WASHINGTON — The House indicated Thursday that it wants the Pentagon’s chief watchdog to investigate whether National Guard and Reserve soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are getting second-class medical treatment.
Rep. Kurt Schrader, D-Ore., proposed the measure after hearing complaints that members of the 41st Infantry Brigade Team returning from a 10-month tour of duty in Iraq were being systematically denied benefits.
Schrader offered two amendments to an annual defense bill to address those concerns, which he said go beyond Oregon.
“I am offering my amendments because of the treatment Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, Nevada, Maryland and Vermont Guardsmen may have received when they got back from tours in Iraq and Afghanistan this spring,” Schrader said during floor debate Thursday.
The first amendment would instruct the Inspector General of the Defense Department to conduct a study assessing the medical processing of National Guard and Reserve soldiers returning from Iraq or Afghanistan.
The second would require the military to provide each member of a Reserve component returning from Iraq or Afghanistan with a comprehensive statement of the medical care and treatment he or she is entitled to receive.
Schrader wants the Inspector General to report back to Congress by the end of the year on the results of the review comparing treatment received by National Guard members and regular Army soldiers.
“The National Guard and the Army have been fighting side-by-side through nearly nine years of war; it is time we make a full assessment of the treatment our National Guard soldiers receive when they get home,” Schrader said.
Schrader and his fellow Oregon Democrat, Sen. Ron Wyden, have written the Pentagon seeking an investigation.
In particular, they said that a PowerPoint presentation created at the base showed that Joint Base Lewis-McChord had instituted a process for handling the medical needs of active-duty soldiers that was different from the process for treating National Guard and reservists. The presentation included an image labeling National Guard soldiers “weekend warriors.”
Army Surgeon General Lt. Gen. Eric Schoomaker responded in a letter to Wyden, apologizing for the PowerPoint presentation that had been shown in March to staff at Madigan Army Medical Center. Schoomaker said he was “appalled by the insensitivity” of one of his officers.
Schoomaker said the commanding general of Lewis-McChord had also directed an investigation to “define the scope of the problem, look thoroughly into all issues, and provide recommendations for action to improve operations involving the Joint Mobilization Brigade, the Warrior Transition Battalion, the Soldier Readiness Center, and demobilizations involving Reserve Component Soldiers.”
If included in the final bill, Schrader’s amendment would require an official investigation.
No one spoke against Schrader’s amendments, and on voice vote they appeared to have a majority, but a routine request for a roll call vote delayed a final determination until later in the debate. The House was considering 82 amendments to the bill Thursday afternoon and was taking up roll calls in batches rather than one at a time.