Reserve Officer Retired with Active Duty Benefits, are they for life?

Michelle13

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Greetings,
I was deployed to Iraq in 2004, I returned with extreme migraines. I was medically retired with a 60% rating, credited with nearly 7 years of service (24 years of reserve time)in 2013. I am on the permanent list and I presently receive benefits at the rate stated above. In other words I have full retirement benefits now prior to the age of 60. My question is, are these my benefits for life? I would have otherwise been eligible for retirement at age 60 but with my years of service, it would have been at a lesser rate. Will these benefits change when I'm 60? If so, how?

I have applied for CRSC but I haven't heard from them. Its been 5 months, should I have heard from them?

Thank you for your assistance.

Good question, I'm in the same boat being medically retired from the ARNG and receiving benefits prior to the normal reserve component retirement. As far as I know, medical retirement is the same for AD or RC, meaning that you are no longer held to the RC pipeline for benefits, you have been retired medically, and as such are DUE the same benefits as if you were retired from AD, and that should be for life.

From my understanding, at a certain age you will have to get medicare and that takes over the primary insurance, with Tricare taking up the slack. Haven't got to that point yet, so I haven't read up much on it.

Also, if you were unable to work in your civilian job and or able to drill because of you LOD injury, you should have been able to draw INCAP pay to recoup the loss. If you did, or if you are planning on seeking it through the BCMR (Board of Correction of Military Records, for your particular service), there is a new Dept. of Defense Instruction DODI 1241.01 that states that INCAP is NOT to be offset by VA benefits received. Most services already comply with that, but the Army still offsets, so the DODI might help to get the money back or keep them from taking it in the first place.

Hope this helps...

Once you become medicare eligible you stop paying for Tricare Prime and receive (free, at least for the time being) Tricare for Life. Medicare is the primary payer and Tricare for Life is a second payer aka wrap around.

Last edited:
New member here and I have been digging all over to find a specific answer I am hoping you three can provide.

I am ARNG. Currently 18 years Total (of which 11 is AD). Awaiting VA disability percentage. Also awaiting MRI, possible surgery for mil-related injuries. Trying to plan ahead here and figure out what is the ideal route for me. Should I plan to just get VA disability pay and drill pay now until I retire at 20yrs ARNG, then only receive VA disability until I am 60, after which point I get VA disability, ARNG Retire pay, and Tricare?
or
If I am found to be unfit, will I be removed from the Guard prior to my 20 years and receive a full medical pension with Tricare immediately for life?

Thank you.

New member here and I have been digging all over to find a specific answer I am hoping you three can provide.

I am ARNG. Currently 18 years Total (of which 11 is AD). Awaiting VA disability percentage. Also awaiting MRI, possible surgery for mil-related injuries. Trying to plan ahead here and figure out what is the ideal route for me. Should I plan to just get VA disability pay and drill pay now until I retire at 20yrs ARNG, then only receive VA disability until I am 60, after which point I get VA disability, ARNG Retire pay, and Tricare?
or
If I am found to be unfit, will I be removed from the Guard prior to my 20 years and receive a full medical pension with Tricare immediately for life?

Thank you.
Hello @LakotaPilot

You are replying to posts that were made more than five years ago.

That said, @chaplaincharlie remains active on the board (he is a moderator).

@Guardguy11 and @Provis are two others who have also have expertise in the area of concern.

Good luck,
Ron

or

Thank you.
I was in the Army National Guard as well. In my case my injuries prevented me from continuing my military service.
"IF" that is the case with you, the Guard should process you for a Medical Evaluation Board (which continues to a Physical Evaluation Board).
This is referred to as the IDES (MEB/PEB) process.

"IF" the MEB/PEB and VA ratings (which are part of the IDES process) finds you Unfit for Duty, then depending on your DOD Disability Ratings (Different from VA Disability Ratings), you can be Retained, Medically Discharged, if DOD rating is UNDER 30% (with a 1 time lump sum payment), or Medically Retired, if DOD rating is 30% or over (which means Retirement Benefits from Day 1, NOT waiting till you're 62).

Medical Retirement Benefits include Tricare for Retirees, Base Privileges, and (in my case, which I believe is typical) a monthly payment for VA Disability, an additional (smaller) check from the DOD for whatever Retirement (Based on Points = Days of Service divided by 365 for Years of Service) is ABOVE the amount the VA pays. Plus, depending on your injuries, you may qualify for CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) which adds a few hundred more to the monthly income.

"IF" your injuries are going to end your service, IMHO its best to aim for a Medical Retirement (Over 30% on the Combined DOD ratings). The Tricare Insurance along is worth the HASSLE of going through the MEB/PEB process. That and a guaranteed income for life.

Other benefits you might want to look into are the VA Rehabilitation training program, which pays for you to learn whatever skills you need to gain employment, working around your disability. Also, if you are Medically Retired, you have the option to buy Life Insurance, or Survivors Benefits which pay to your family/dependents after you die.

"IF" you chose to stay in, be aware that the VA benefits are deducted from whatever Service Pay (I believe that includes monthly drill pay) that you receive.

Hope this helps, and you can PM me if you have any questions, or put it on this thread.
SSG. (Ret.) ARNG

I was in the Army National Guard as well. In my case my injuries prevented me from continuing my military service.
"IF" that is the case with you, the Guard should process you for a Medical Evaluation Board (which continues to a Physical Evaluation Board).
This is referred to as the IDES (MEB/PEB) process.

"IF" the MEB/PEB and VA ratings (which are part of the IDES process) finds you Unfit for Duty, then depending on your DOD Disability Ratings (Different from VA Disability Ratings), you can be Retained, Medically Discharged, if DOD rating is UNDER 30% (with a 1 time lump sum payment), or Medically Retired, if DOD rating is 30% or over (which means Retirement Benefits from Day 1, NOT waiting till you're 62).

Medical Retirement Benefits include Tricare for Retirees, Base Privileges, and (in my case, which I believe is typical) a monthly payment for VA Disability, an additional (smaller) check from the DOD for whatever Retirement (Based on Points = Days of Service divided by 365 for Years of Service) is ABOVE the amount the VA pays. Plus, depending on your injuries, you may qualify for CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation) which adds a few hundred more to the monthly income.

"IF" your injuries are going to end your service, IMHO its best to aim for a Medical Retirement (Over 30% on the Combined DOD ratings). The Tricare Insurance along is worth the HASSLE of going through the MEB/PEB process. That and a guaranteed income for life.

Other benefits you might want to look into are the VA Rehabilitation training program, which pays for you to learn whatever skills you need to gain employment, working around your disability. Also, if you are Medically Retired, you have the option to buy Life Insurance, or Survivors Benefits which pay to your family/dependents after you die.

"IF" you chose to stay in, be aware that the VA benefits are deducted from whatever Service Pay (I believe that includes monthly drill pay) that you receive.

Hope this helps, and you can PM me if you have any questions, or put it on this thread.
SSG. (Ret.) ARNG
Comment on this: "IF" you chose to stay in, be aware that the VA benefits are deducted from whatever Service Pay (I believe that includes monthly drill pay) that you receive.

The good news is the offset isn't like 1 for 1 like accepting VA money which offsets retirement pay. You just can't get paid VA disability pay on the days that you drill. So the VA disability is prorated meaning their isn't much of an offset. So for Reserve or National Guard Soldiers they can get the best of both worlds! Check out this article that goes more in-depth in this subject: Double Compensation | Washington State Military Department, Citizens Serving Citizens with Pride & Tradition

@LakotaPilot
@RonG

Question regarding recent VA adjudicated LOD event & injury in 1991. Transferred to "inactive duty reserves for medical reasons, then Medically discharged in Jan 1993. The LOD letter was never processed after the MVA tho my records do show the MVA. Basically, the Reserve Command did not properly process my lod injury or transfer to TDRL.

I now have active duty status for the date of the mva & subsequent injuries & illness ie: PTSD & Spine & 2nd to those comp issues. I was never paid from the date I was moved to "inactive status" to the date of discharge. The BVA judge stated that the records show I was 100% disabled from May 91-Jan 1994. I have been advised by another person to file DD149. I have contacted my CSO this morning asking about this. I don't know if it's something a Vet Rep would handle or if its a whole different animal. Any help is much appreciated.

DD 149, APPLICATION FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORD
UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF TITLE 10, U.S. CODE, SECTION 1552, can be completed by the veteran with or without help.

Opinion: If one can prepare their own federal income tax return, they likely can complete a DD 149. You can contact a veteran services officer in your area and determine if they can provide the help you might need. I complete all my applications, but I have spent my entire life (while employed) working with forms and researching laws, regulations, and instructions for certain applications (e.g., engineering research proposals).

Good luck,
Ron

Thank You Ron.

When I get nervous, I nervous stressed, then things don't come out right when I'm trying to ask or explain something. Then my life gets more complicated adding to my stress & I usually just crawl in a hole & pull it in after me.

I emailed my CSO this morning. He's an awesome Rep & Veteran too boot. He's real busy so I asked my question here. I'm sure he will get back to me, just going to take a few days. My intention in my question was to figure out if I need to find documents or prepare to take try to be prepared before I go see him if he needs me too. I'm gathering information for his filing of Secondary conditions for VA comp, and I have to have a long lead time because I get scatter brained. I try not to make his job harder than it has to be to help me.

I have the few military medical records from the jacket he found for me.
I have the new document from VA showing the date of the MVA & SC for C-PTSD & waiting on determination for the back. I'm not sure where I would get the pay records from. I'm sure CSO can get that for me. I learned when in USN that when submitting any paperwork , leave no blanks, make sure forms are complete, leave nothing to doubt, make it easy for the request to be processed = best results.

Hello @TangoAlphaMike

Re: "I learned when in USN that when submitting any paperwork , leave no blanks, make sure forms are complete, leave nothing to doubt, make it easy for the request to be processed = best results."

I can add only to that excellent principle: Ensure substantiating/supporting documents are included for everything claimed.

Good luck,
Ron