RESERVE RETIREMENT VS MEB

KGB6917

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am seeking advise from the forum. I am currently AGR and will turn 60 January 2021. I have 27 years total service, close to 15 active. I have had my 20 year letter since 2011. I was contacted February 2019 and informed I would be MED boarded ( right hip and knee replacement/back issues). For whatever reason, I did not hear anymore until this week. I submitted documents for total left hip replacement and knee surgery. Next week I will meet with the medical command to again discuss MEB. I am trying to figure which route would be the most beneficial. 1. proceed with a MEB or 2. file through IDES prior to retiring. I do have other medical issues and want o ensure they are addressed. I am concerned and feel like our medical section is irresponsible. How can you send an email saying "we have one signature for your MEB, when we get the second you will be informed". Then they respond 13 months later and state we need to look at a MEB. I am not trying to get anything that I do not deserve. However, with 27 years service with 2 combat tours (Desert Storm, OIF 1) I expect to be treated fairly. Any advise provided would be appreciated.

The only remarks I can offer are:

--With CH 61 medical retirement, you can begin receiving it now. Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of your VA compensation.

--With reserve retirement, you must wait until you turn 60.
Note: A member is generally not eligible for Reserve (non-regular) retired pay until they reach age 60. However, any member of the Ready Reserve who is recalled to active duty or, in response to a national emergency, is called to certain active service after January 28, 2008, shall have the age 60 requirement reduced by 3 months for each cumulative period of 90 days so performed in any fiscal year after that date.

--Back to the CH 61 medical retirement, you would not be eligible for CRDP until you fully met the requirements for reserve retirement including age.

CRSC info is available at: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK

Ron