Reserve time & active duty time severance pay inquiry

Dkoz21

Registered Member
Hello all,

I am having trouble navigating the regulations and rules regarding severance pay due to the fact that I spent roughly 5 years in the Army Reserves (2008-2013), and since 2013, have been a Regular Army Soldier. I reclassed and went full time.

My referred condition is genetic, and therefore, from what I gather from my PEBLO and other sources, does not warrant any DOD percentage. This is all fine. Life goes on. BUT, in order to plan for the future, I have been working on getting an idea of what my severance may be, (pending I even receive one), what Ill pay back and how, and where it leaves me in the end.

Ive read things that state only my active federal service time will be accounted for, ive read the contrary as well. If anyone can clear that up, id be so appreciative. I am just getting my VA ratings now so im coming towards the end (or so I believe..)

You folks are the best. Thanks for keeping the guys like me informed.

All time will be accounted for, take your total points for 2008-2013 and divide by 360.

In your record when you transferred from the Reserves, they should have combined all your days of duty. Then from the date you entered active duty in 2013, they would work backwards from that date to see what date is your effective Total Active Federal Military Service Date.

I was a reserve from 2002 through July 24 2009 when I want to OTS. They took all my time from the reserves and came up with 1050. That going backwards took me back to 8 Sep 06 which is my effective date.

Now, in your situation I'm going to assume you process MEPS twice (big assumption, but you know). I'm going to assume you processed MEPS in 2008 in order to enter the reserves and again in 2013 in order to go onto Active Duty. If this is the case, you are in pretty good shape because it will have demonstrated that not once, but twice you process the military entry system and twice you were found fit for service.

If you go all the way back to your 2008 entry, that means you have been in the service for 9 years or more. Now it just becomes a question of can you prove your genetic condition as service aggravated.

Really want to express my thanks to you folks, gsfowler and jahlon. I really do like to think I'm well informed on all matters Army and military and I completely overlooked the aspect of reserve points and MEPs. I wont say i dont want this all to work out in my favor, but i really just want fairness across the board. The MEB personnel at my installation make it tough to feel that assuredness. Thanks again guys.