Reservist found Unfit For Retention, requested PEB but confused on process

tuckaaron

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was found unfit for retention a few months ago and requested the PEB. I did 12 active before going into the reserves and during my last mobilization I was sent home for syncope. The command just let me demobilize. However, I have documentation in the system to validate this as well as having this occur while on active duty previously. I have a 100% rating from the VA already which is what initiated the reserve unit sending me to a Medical Review Board. They came back unfit for retention and here we are.

My understanding is that the reserve center medical have sent my package off for the PEB but I am clueless on what happens at this point. Am I suppose to be assigned a PEBLO or does the medical department just act as one? Also once they place it in IDES what is the process exactly? What I mean is do i start at the beginning again or if the MRRB found me unfit I go directly to the PEB? Again super confused and I can't get any answers from the reserve center as well.

Thanks

@tuckaaron,

What branch of service are you in? Each branch handles their Reserve disability processing a little differently, so that's important info to have. The one thing that's common to all of the services, though, is that the Reserve side is totally jacked up and no one knows what they're doing. Probably preaching to the choir here.

The most important question I have from your narrative is whether you have an LOD or MEDHOLD letter for your syncope issue. If you were on mob when it happened, you should have gotten a MEDHOLD package routed, saying that the syncope was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, not due to your own misconduct.

If you've got that letter, you'll go through the normal IDES process like most everyone else on this site. You'll get a PEBLO assigned to you, your treating doctors will write up a NARSUM, your CO will write a statement, etc. Happy to answer more specific questions about the process.

If you DON'T have that letter, then your processing will look very similar, but will go horribly wrong at the end. Reservists whose injuries were in the line of duty qualify for either a finding of Fit (go back to work - you're fine) or Unfit (separate with severance pay or medical retirement benefits). Reservists whose injuries were NOT in the line of duty qualify for either a finding of Physically Qualified ("PQ:" go back to work - you're fine) or Not Physically Qualified ("NPQ:" separate without benefits).

In other words, there is no way for you to get a medical retirement, or even a severance check, without a letter from your Service's personnel command saying that your condition is duty-related.

The process for getting an LOD approved can be longer than the Med Board process, depending on your branch. So it's super important to get the ball rolling on that immediately, if you don't already have that letter in hand.

So, two questions. What's your branch, and do you have an LOD or MEDHOLD letter?

Thanks Matt,
So it is in the NARSUM and documented both during my time on active duty (11 years) and during the MOB as well. The first occurrence happened within 2 weeks after my first anthrax vaccine and I sent in the CDC and pharmaceutical reports showing linkages as well. I was offered medhold but with the pay loss, I was receiving already during the mob I couldn't afford to hang out. I assume that the documentation from PHA, physicals, and tests (tilt table) will be the LOD. My branch was Navy.

Syncope was already rated at 30% years ago when I first went into the reserves from active duty. I do also, however, have PTSD at 50% (service-combat related), 40% lower back and 40% upper back with stenosis, 3 bulged and herniated discs, missing ligament in ankle from tearing while overseas deployed, and some nerve damage, again all considered combat-related plus tears in both shoulders and a few other smaller things. I have been rated 100% by the VA pretty much since I left active service in 2010.

As I said, the NARSUM, my doctors letter, and the CO letter state it is all combat related as well as the fact i was sent home early from the last mobilization.

My initial confusion on this whole process really came when the reserve med board found me unfit, I requested the PEB but no one seems to have a clue what that actually means or the process. I was told I will get put into the IDES but again they also said the reserve IDES will be different. So there is a ton of confusion at this point as to what to expect.

Thanks

@tuckaaron,

So, two questions. What's your branch, and do you have an LOD or MEDHOLD letter?

Thanks Matt,
So it is in the NARSUM and documented both during my time on active duty (11 years) and during the MOB as well. The first occurrence happened within 2 weeks after my first anthrax vaccine and I sent in the CDC and pharmaceutical reports showing linkages as well. I was offered medhold but with the pay loss, I was receiving already during the mob I couldn't afford to hang out. I assume that the documentation from PHA, physicals, and tests (tilt table) will be the LOD. My branch was Navy.

Syncope was already rated at 30% years ago when I first went into the reserves from active duty. I do also, however, have PTSD at 50% (service-combat related), 40% lower back and 40% upper back with stenosis, 3 bulged and herniated discs, missing ligament in ankle from tearing while overseas deployed, and some nerve damage, again all considered combat-related plus tears in both shoulders and a few other smaller things. I have been rated 100% by the VA pretty much since I left active service in 2010.

As I said, the NARSUM, my doctors letter, and the CO letter state it is all combat related as well as the fact i was sent home early from the last mobilization.

My initial confusion on this whole process really came when the reserve med board found me unfit, I requested the PEB but no one seems to have a clue what that actually means or the process. I was told I will get put into the IDES but again they also said the reserve IDES will be different. So there is a ton of confusion at this point as to what to expect.

Thanks

I need help also. Guard with 27 years, and 16 active duty. How do I get my unit to send me to the IDES or PEB as in the line of duty. I have no control what the part time doctors write?
1. I am meeting a MRB (Retention Board) for being diagnosed as Bipolar I with General Anxiety. I don’t have a LOD in my record for either issue. I would think the Bipolar would have to be at least service aggravated, but I won’t even get a chance to make that argument??
2. I do have a Duty Limiting or ALC code for depression and hypothyroid. I was given this waiver and then deployed again. The USAF regulation I read said if your serving with a ALC code then you don’t meet the IDES with an assumption of fitness. With this help me in anyway?
Guard probably has waiver to this requirement because I was given the ALC without meeting an official PEB. ANG Hdq issued the ALC code.
3. I am applying for VA benefits to see if they will service connect the Bipolar. It’s a race against the clock to get my VA decision before I’m booted out. Will the VA’s decision help me meet a PEB with LOD?

Thanks Matt,

Thanks
tuckaaron, did you ever get an update? Did you need a LOD? I was active for 11 and have been in the reserves for 6 years. Have been 100% for over a year. I just got my ipeb findings back of unfit. But no rating because it seems I do not have a LOD. Going to talk to my peblo on Wednesday to see if it is any way possible to get a LOD initiated.

I have also recently learned it all comes down to an LOD for the unfitting conditions. Even if it’s obvious the PEB wants/has to see that LOD. That LOD tells the PEB you were not AWOL..in good standing and it is proven your condition happened in LOD.

Now the fun part. In the Guard you will have to initiate your own LOD unless you want this process to go on forever

I have also recently learned it all comes down to an LOD for the unfitting conditions. Even if it’s obvious the PEB wants/has to see that LOD. That LOD tells the PEB you were not AWOL..in good standing and it is proven your condition happened in LOD.

Now the fun part. In the Guard you will have to initiate your own LOD unless you want this process to go on forever
Did you request a lod? I’m gonna get with my unit personnel to request one.

I have just recently figured this out. It embarrasses me greatly to request an LOD, but I got to just get over it. I will talk to my commander and the next drill. Luckily we have known each other for 17 years and are both 0-5s. Just hard to tell a friend I need an LOD for a mental issue.

Luckily I just got my VA results back. I did the VA first just to see if they would cover it. They did. First thing my medical unit did was ground me from flying for a non duty related event. I then gave them the VA summary, and they are scratching their heads. Medical will find a way out of it, that’s why I have to file the LOD so there is no doubt they have to send me to a MEB.
Right now they are taking about sending me to a non duty related PEB only

Thanks Matt,

Thanks

What CDC and pharmaceutical reports do you have about the Anthrax vaccine? Me and several other soldiers are having the same effects post Anthrax vaccination including syncope, PVCs, PACs, constant tachycardia, vision loss, and severe fatigue. All of us are athletic, non-smokers, non-drinkers.

Luckily I just got my VA results back. I did the VA first just to see if they would cover it. They did. First thing my medical unit did was ground me from flying for a non duty related event. I then gave them the VA summary, and they are scratching their heads. Medical will find a way out of it, that’s why I have to file the LOD so there is no doubt they have to send me to a MEB.
Right now they are taking about sending me to a non duty related PEB only
I have been researching the LOD regulations in great detail. I am a flyer in the AF Reserves and have a code 37 (Member requires MEB) placed on me, as well as DNIF (grounded) for the last two years. Rated 60% VA. My Med unit never initiated an LOD on me at the beginning of my issue, but rather has sent up a non duty related package to HQ AFRC along with the WWDE. (world wide deployable) In the last two weeks, I have been persistent with the findings in AFI 36-2910 (AF LOD guidance) which states the Med Grp MUST start an LOD. Everything should be considered In Line Of Duty (ILOD) unless clearly able to prove the member caused their issues from negligence. I was given a checklist to initiate the LOD and it appears that it is currently being routed thru the LOD system. My hope is that it comes back with a valid LOD on me, so I can be processed normally thru the IDES, as should be allowed.

Can you send me a copy of your checklist. I have no clue what my medical unit is up to, but from history it’s never good for the member. Why can’t they just follow the regulations. In their mind all Reservists are non-duty related even if you have 19 years of active duty. You only go to an MEB if your on orders unless you call their bluff.

I have been researching the LOD regulations in great detail. I am a flyer in the AF Reserves and have a code 37 (Member requires MEB) placed on me, as well as DNIF (grounded) for the last two years. Rated 60% VA. My Med unit never initiated an LOD on me at the beginning of my issue, but rather has sent up a non duty related package to HQ AFRC along with the WWDE. (world wide deployable) In the last two weeks, I have been persistent with the findings in AFI 36-2910 (AF LOD guidance) which states the Med Grp MUST start an LOD. Everything should be considered In Line Of Duty (ILOD) unless clearly able to prove the member caused their issues from negligence. I was given a checklist to initiate the LOD and it appears that it is currently being routed thru the LOD system. My hope is that it comes back with a valid LOD on me, so I can be processed normally thru the IDES, as should be allowed.

Thanks for the info, yeah our units was less concerned while on active duty but it is documented so I never assumed an LOD was even needed as it is sitting in black in white in my medical record. I started the LOD process as well. 18 years in SOF and having to prove injury to combat kills me but it is what it is.

tuckaaron, did you ever get an update? Did you need a LOD? I was active for 11 and have been in the reserves for 6 years. Have been 100% for over a year. I just got my ipeb findings back of unfit. But no rating because it seems I do not have a LOD. Going to talk to my peblo on Wednesday to see if it is any way possible to get a LOD initiated.
I'm still waiting. Our reserver unit has a record of either not sending materials in a timely fashion or incomplete packages. So it's been a year and and still waiting. However, the reserve board found me unfit so how it fits into the MEB is still confusing. I request to know who the PEBLO was but keep being told it hasn't been assigned