Reservist on a Mobilization - Starting PEB/MEB process early recommended?

jleex00

Registered Member
Hi, is it possible to start the medical separation evaluation process while on a mobilization with a reserve unit, or would it be more efficient to wait until returning CONUS and getting evaluated by my NOSC medical staff? My eyesight has decreased dramatically due to an eye degenerative condition (that I already have a VA rating for) during this mobilization, and I want to make sure I am proactively prepared for the med sep process. My understanding is that I should have a LOD performed by my unit during the mobilization, and that could potentially trigger the PEB/MEB process.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Getting medical care for dramatic loss of vision ought to kick start medical care and potentially a MEB.

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hi, is it possible to start the medical separation evaluation process while on a mobilization with a reserve unit, or would it be more efficient to wait until returning CONUS and getting evaluated by my NOSC medical staff? My eyesight has decreased dramatically due to an eye degenerative condition (that I already have a VA rating for) during this mobilization, and I want to make sure I am proactively prepared for the med sep process. My understanding is that I should have a LOD performed by my unit during the mobilization, and that could potentially trigger the PEB/MEB process.

Thanks for the feedback in advance!
Absolutely start the process while you are still entitled to active duty pay.

You must initiate the LOD process, do not wait and expect anyone to do it for you. The LOD will require two signatures and the second one is very hard to get.

The second one comes from the commander at the MTF and typically they give that signature authority to another person. If they have, you must also get a copy of the appointment letter designating who is the signatory.

The LOD does not trigger the MEB, that is triggered by getting a P3 or P4 profile and subsequent referral. Even though you are rated by the VA for the degenerative condition, when you went through the SRP process for mobilization you were found to meet the standards for deployment. Once you have been on deployment for greater than 30 days, the military has taken ownership of treating you for this condition.

jleex00

Registered Member
Absolutely start the process while you are still entitled to active duty pay.

You must initiate the LOD process, do not wait and expect anyone to do it for you. The LOD will require two signatures and the second one is very hard to get.

The second one comes from the commander at the MTF and typically they give that signature authority to another person. If they have, you must also get a copy of the appointment letter designating who is the signatory.

The LOD does not trigger the MEB, that is triggered by getting a P3 or P4 profile and subsequent referral. Even though you are rated by the VA for the degenerative condition, when you went through the SRP process for mobilization you were found to meet the standards for deployment. Once you have been on deployment for greater than 30 days, the military has taken ownership of treating you for this condition.
thank you for your extremely helpful response. does one initiate a LOD at the MTF? or is it through my chain of command? sorry if this is a basic question.

jleex00

Registered Member
If I start the process while entitled to AD pay, do I stay AD until medically separated? If yes, do I have to remain in the mobilization zone until medically separated? Thanks!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">