Retention Board or MEB/PEB process does it make a difference

MChaplain

Registered Member
I have permant hearing loss P-3, the state MEB determined that they would like to retain me rather than having me retire. (I have over 20 years, Guard/Reserve time). (It really best if a Chaplain can't hear.) I have other problems, bad back, getting to old for this stuff etc. VA has combat service connected for hearing, back, IBS etc. I think 60%.

Now, I have to go before a retention board for the Army National Guard that could determine that they no longer want to retain me becasue I don't think I can deploy.

Is it too my advantage to request to go before a medical review board and possible PEB due to the combat related injury stuff. (I was on medical hold for 9 months before refrad).

I prefer to stay in the Guard... but I also want to consider what is too my advantage. The system doesn't seem to really know the answer... help! :confused:

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Chaplain,

Because of your seniority, longetivity, and the nature of your job, your situation is a little harder to judge. If you think that you cannot continue to serve, then the issue becomes clearer.

In that case, it makes sense to ask for MEB/PEB. The reason is that you have nothing to lose by doing so. If you are found unfit and they recommend separation, you can instead opt for transfer to retired reserve and you will keep your Guard retirement. But, if you are disabled at 30% or more, you will be retired and draw your retirement immediately.

I hope this was helpful and that everything goes well for you!

MChaplain

Registered Member
Thank you for your response. Simple and straight forward.
G1 Medical of the state has assigned me a case worker and have started the MMRB process last year and they found me "fit" for duty. But I think in reality they looked the other direction at my medical records that seem to keep disappearing. The Army hearing test sounds like "sprint"... recommends release. Without any wiggle room on the audiologist notation. But I know that command can do what ever they want with these kinds of test.
I have been diagnosed with PTSD (seen to much, heard too much) that has prevented me from working with/at/for a regular church in my denomination. There doctors agree that it isn't healthy for me to serve in that capacity.
So I serve in a different type of "ministry" but my VA doctors think that my "work" is doing me harm and that they have recommended that I not do this type of work... well is what I've been trained to do, I can do the work... but it doesn't help me to recover so the therapy is like spitting in the wind....

The state MMRB hasn’t looked at the full medical record. Because I think they want to keep a Chaplain on the books as well as out there working with the soldiers.

If a person has been diagnosed with PTSD according to NADAA 2008 … 50% minimum rating from PEB… The Army medical retirement wouldn’t be based on the active duty pay scale? 50% of active duty at how many years?

But, The Army medical retirement and the VA disability compensation are offset dollar for dollar.

CRSC comes into play if the conditions that both the VA and Army have rated as combat related… but then doesn’t DFAS compute CRSC based on “active duty” years multiplied by the percentage the Army disability retirement is? So my 23 years of Army duty includes 2 years of active duty so the other 21 years at 70 points a year totally equals about 6 active duty years. So as a National Guardsmen I’ve earned the about 6 years worth of retirement. So any CRSC would be based on that rate?

This gets very confusing and I can understand why the Guard is more than happy to just use an administrative discharge verse going through the medical board process.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">