Retention standards

trumbulp

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Regarding meeting retention standards-

I have been diagnosed with PTSD, sleep apnea, esophogitis (sp) and tinnitus.

Can anyone provide insight as to whether or not this conditions
meet retention standards? I have my Phase 3 physical next month.

Please advise?

It all depends on whether your conditions affect your job. I'm sure any one of those conditions could be cause for you to go through the MEB/PEB process, but the chances for you to be found unfit for tinnitus and sleep apnea are very slim (unless they significantly impact your duties). I'm not sure about the esophogitis, but again, how does it affect your performance of duties? Now, PTSD is one condition I have seen many people found unfit for. Everything depends on whether or not it impacts your the performance of your duties.

Thanks Mike, I found where conditiond warrant referral to an MEB but nothing definitive on separation.
For example-

3–33. Anxiety, somatoform, or dissociative disorders
The causes for referral to an MEB are as follows:
a. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms sufficient to require extended or recurrent hospitalization; or
b. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms necessitating limitations of duty or duty in protected environment; or
c. Persistence or recurrence of symptoms resulting in interference with effective military performance.

Does this mean it is up to the Phase 3 physician?, or am I missing something? thx

Only the PEB can determine if the condition is unfitting or not. The MEB's job is to fully document all conditons and state which do not meet retention standards. Retention standards and unfitness are not the same thing.

Mike