Retire pay. Since limited to LOS, was going through IDES worth it?

Gomez

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I’m Army National Guard, Grade O3, in non-drilling status, age 59. 75% DoD PDRL/100% VA. Just Signed DA 199 without appeal. The unfitting conditions are all combat related. I have 20 year letter. My 4,600 points equate to about 13 years of active duty. I come under Final Base Pay rather than High-Three.

Would appreciate some help trying to calculate my retired pay. It appears that I will be eligible for both DoD and VA pay under CRDP. If so, will I be paid by DoD at the 75% of base pay rate? Or, will my DoD pay be limited to what my length of service pay would have been even if I had not gone through the IDES? If so, it seems I will be paid at about 30% of base pay rather than 75%. In which case it would have been better to have just taken length of service retirement rather than spending 2 years going through the MEB/PEB.

You will be paid at 75% of your retired base pay (you said it is Final Pay, so that will be the basis of your retired base pay calculation).

Or, will my DoD pay be limited to what my length of service pay would have been even if I had not gone through the IDES?

I don't know what you mean by the above. For your pay calculation, see my first sentence, above.

Don't know if he ever got an answer....but reservists seem to have this question...which I totally understand.
Is his disability retirement pay 75% of (retirement points divided by 365) which in his case would be pay of an active CPT with 13 years of active duty OR is it 75% if what his monthly base pay would be if he was NOW serving on active duty (03 with 20+ years)? Big difference....I have read on the forums it is based on pay being on active duty NOW (with over 20) while my PEBLO calculated using LOS
(75% multiplied by ((retirement points divided by 365)) 13 years)...

Don't know if he ever got an answer....but reservists seem to have this question...which I totally understand.
Is his disability retirement pay 75% of (retirement points divided by 365) which in his case would be pay of an active CPT with 13 years of active duty OR is it 75% if what his monthly base pay would be if he was NOW serving on active duty (03 with 20+ years)? Big difference....I have read on the forums it is based on pay being on active duty NOW (with over 20) while my PEBLO calculated using LOS
(75% multiplied by ((retirement points divided by 365)) 13 years)...

Technically, it is neither. For everyone it is the same (active or reserve). It is the percentage (in the above question, 75%) time RETIRED BASE PAY. This is nothing to do with points- forget about points. RETIRED BASE PAY is generally the average of your highest 36 months of base pay (there are other calculations, including based on FINAL PAY, and there are times when reservists will be treated as being on active duty for the preceding months).

For a full discussion and explanation with examples, look at the DoD Financial Management Regulations.

Technically, it is neither. For everyone it is the same (active or reserve). It is the percentage (in the above question, 75%) time RETIRED BASE PAY. This is nothing to do with points- forget about points. RETIRED BASE PAY is generally the average of your highest 36 months of base pay (there are other calculations, including based on FINAL PAY, and there are times when reservists will be treated as being on active duty for the preceding months).

For a full discussion and explanation with examples, look at the DoD Financial Management Regulations.

I was NG - went through IDES process AND fell under Final Pay. Have 20 year NG retirement letter - age 56 1/2 at time of PDRL retirement (APR 2012).

Army 70% PDRL - 100% VA - NO combat or Combat related findings from the IDES process.

Currently applying for CRSC as the IDES process made error by NOT designating some of my injuries as Combat-Related.

BUT, right now, I receive 100% VA every month and a little bit of my 70% Army as my Army 70% was GREATER in monthly pay than my 100% VA award compensation.

Also, I am NOT being credited for early retirement time for all the years I spent in CB-WTU for early retirement credit. So right now, I only have 6 months early retirement credit and am fighting this, too (HRC).

I should have received combat-related findings during the IDES process, but this did not happen. I should have been credited for an additional 3 1/2 above the 6 months of early retirement credit I have been given and have NOT - so this is another fight I'm about to get into with HRC.

I should have been able to CRDP at time of PDRL retirement but this did not happen.

I should have been able to CRSC at time of PDRL retirement, but this did NOT happen either.

I should have had the choice of either CRSC or CRDP at time of PDRL retirement - but neither one happened.

But when the dust settles from these scrapes I am about to enter, I will win these two issues and DFAS will have to back pay me from time of PDRL discharge (APR 2012) - either with CRSC retro or CRDP retro - whichever is to my financial advantage. I believe the evidence I have is MORE than enough to justify my claims.

Meanwhile, until this is resolved, I currently receive all my 100% VA and a little bit of my PDRL (taxable) as my PDRL was greater than my VA.

Will keep you all in the loop as I go through these two gates and hope for the best!

V/R,
nwlivewire

I was NG - went through IDES process AND fell under Final Pay. Have 20 year NG retirement letter - age 56 1/2 at time of PDRL retirement (APR 2012).

Army 70% PDRL - 100% VA - NO combat or Combat related findings from the IDES process.

Currently applying for CRSC as the IDES process made error by NOT designating some of my injuries as Combat-Related.

BUT, right now, I receive 100% VA every month and a little bit of my 70% Army as my Army 70% was GREATER in monthly pay than my 100% VA award compensation.

Also, I am NOT being credited for early retirement time for all the years I spent in CB-WTU for early retirement credit. So right now, I only have 6 months early retirement credit and am fighting this, too (HRC).

I should have received combat-related findings during the IDES process, but this did not happen. I should have been credited for an additional 3 1/2 above the 6 months of early retirement credit I have been given and have NOT - so this is another fight I'm about to get into with HRC.

I should have been able to CRDP at time of PDRL retirement but this did not happen.

I should have been able to CRSC at time of PDRL retirement, but this did NOT happen either.

I should have had the choice of either CRSC or CRDP at time of PDRL retirement - but neither one happened.

But when the dust settles from these scrapes I am about to enter, I will win these two issues and DFAS will have to back pay me from time of PDRL discharge (APR 2012) - either with CRSC retro or CRDP retro - whichever is to my financial advantage. I believe the evidence I have is MORE than enough to justify my claims.

Meanwhile, until this is resolved, I currently receive all my 100% VA and a little bit of my PDRL (taxable) as my PDRL was greater than my VA.

Will keep you all in the loop as I go through these two gates and hope for the best!

V/R,
nwlivewire
Can you provide feed back on my question below?

I am was medically retired at VA/DoD 100%. I have a 20 year letter and currently in receipt of Retired Pay. I have 25 years Army Reserves and 16.5 Active Federal Service. I was AGR when they medically retired me. Will I be eligible for CRDP? I read the DFAS Web Site and it said at age 60 but I am already receiving Retired Pay? Does age 60 only apply if you are not in receipt of Retired Pay?

Jason, would I receive CRDP?
I am was medically retired at VA/DoD 100% IDES as of 30 JUN. I have a 20 year letter and currently in receipt of Retired Pay. I have 25 years Army Reserves and 16.5 Active Federal Service. I was AGR when they medically retired me. Question: Will I be eligible for CRDP? I read the DFAS Web Site and it said at age 60 but I am already receiving Retired Pay? Does age 60 only apply if you are not in receipt of Retired Pay?

It will be at age 60.

(Recall, the only way to get CRDP is to be otherwise eligible for retired pay for a reason OTHER THAN disability retirement...which you have to be in receipt of anyway).

I'm having similar issues wrapping my head around what the retirement pay would be. I'm heading into the MEB process as an E-7 with 10 years in the Air Guard, with a two year activation. I have a VA rating of 50% for PTSD involving my time in Iraq.

Using the calculator at militarypay.defense.gov, a E-7 with 20 years in retiring next year would get 2,061.00 a month. If the MEB/PEB rated me at 50%, that would equate to 50% of 2,061? (1030.50, which is more than the VA 50%)

Am I in the right direction or have I completely hosed it up?

I served in the reserves, but hit the 20-year active point. I was 80%DoD/100% VA. Before my VA rating I received DoD retirement of 75% of standard base pay. When I received my VA rating, the amount of VA disability I received was deducted from my retirement pay and made tax free. The remainder I still receive in retirement from the DoD. I had the same questions as well, and it was hard getting a straight answer. With the 100% VA rating with SMC due to loss of limb and Aid & Attendance, compensation is about $3,800. Unless you were pretty high up in rank, CRDP won't put that much more in your pocket--if anything.

V/R,
nwlivewire

Hello friend, the amount amount you're getting from PDRL is CRDP. Without CRDP you would only be paid one or the other, not both DoD and VA. If CRSC works out better for you, you might still qualify for that but as you know, not both.

I'm having similar issues wrapping my head around what the retirement pay would be. I'm heading into the MEB process as an E-7 with 10 years in the Air Guard, with a two year activation. I have a VA rating of 50% for PTSD involving my time in Iraq.

Using the calculator at militarypay.defense.gov, a E-7 with 20 years in retiring next year would get 2,061.00 a month. If the MEB/PEB rated me at 50%, that would equate to 50% of 2,061? (1030.50, which is more than the VA 50%)

Am I in the right direction or have I completely hosed it up?

You hosed it. ;)

Retired pay for disability for those with less than 20 years active federal service is calculated on the actual disability award times your monthly retired base pay (for most folks, this is the High-3 calculation which is the average of your high 36 months of base pay- so, slightly less than your actual current base pay). If you have more than 20 years active federal service, you get the higher of the previous calculation or your years times 2.5 times retired base pay.