Retired.....!!

TSgt Twitch

PEB Forum Veteran
Only you can answer your financial questions. If you are moving and are going to be job hunting away from where you are now, then selling the leave makes some sense as traveling back and forth on permissive to house and job hunt would be expensive. IF you are currently using your GI bill you will need to work out with the VA once you have a dd214 in hand to get the stipend etc. Also do not overlook the usefullness of VA voc rehab. all the benefits of the gi bill PLUS job search help/placement and potential internships paid tax free on top of the housing stipend. Either way your last DoD pay check may be held for up to 2-3 months so put cash aside quick for that. (we have put aside as a family of 5 3 months worth of "full pay" and also 3-4 more months in zero balance credit card if need) Although I am all ready at the first denial stage of SSDI, and feel confident I will get it before its all over I make plans upon plans. GOod luck and congrats.

usafaviator

PEB Forum Veteran
Will the GI Bill Housing Stipend be activated on Terminal?
No, because you are still considered active duty and entitled to BAH.

Should i sell back 55 days for some sort of separation cash?
Personal preference. If you are trying to drag it out a bit, it makes more sense to take the leave. If you want/need the cash, then sell it. Just remember that selling the leave- you only get your base pay. If you take the leave, you continue all, including base, BAH/BAS and any special pays (fly, etc.).

SDVWer

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yeah...that was exactly what i was thinking. Kind of a stupid question.
I will however be starting full time May 8th.
I pretty much had already decided to hold on to the leave and cash out........could come in handy.

usafaviator

PEB Forum Veteran
There are so many things to consider, so many moving parts to this process that the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.;)

SDVWer

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Only you can answer your financial questions. If you are moving and are going to be job hunting away from where you are now, then selling the leave makes some sense as traveling back and forth on permissive to house and job hunt would be expensive. IF you are currently using your GI bill you will need to work out with the VA once you have a dd214 in hand to get the stipend etc. Also do not overlook the usefullness of VA voc rehab. all the benefits of the gi bill PLUS job search help/placement and potential internships paid tax free on top of the housing stipend. Either way your last DoD pay check may be held for up to 2-3 months so put cash aside quick for that. (we have put aside as a family of 5 3 months worth of "full pay" and also 3-4 more months in zero balance credit card if need) Although I am all ready at the first denial stage of SSDI, and feel confident I will get it before its all over I make plans upon plans. GOod luck and congrats.
Pretty much right there....I have some cash stashed away...Bills ready to transfer etc.
I think at this point selling the leave could help some....it will only be like $3500 after taxes but that towards bills is better than sitting at home and or using leave as leisure. We are going to be sticking around here the wife has a decent job.....
I'm finishing my SSDI application and hoping for some relief with that too. Filing for unemployment would just seem kinda strange...i feel as if i'd be reaching for that.
I want to work....just really sketchy if i'm able to.
Besides the fact that they would only give me the offset amount of the DOD retirement pay......does it matter if i am waving the DOD for VA?
....i am taking the VA obviously. Would unemployment be the full amount?

SDVWer

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There are so many things to consider, so many moving parts to this process that the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.;)
NO DOUBT....I will ask and ask and ask. I've been meaning to call the Unemployment office here in CA to clear up the DOD/VA unemployment deal.

marshgrass2

Registered Member
Dag'gum thats wild it takes so long for the Navy to cut orders I signed my findings on the 22 of Apr and requested the 22nd of Jul so I guess I will keep tracking with that date in mind.

SDVWer

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Well i'm sitting home on leave now. Had already sold 45 days back in like 2007 or whatever at a re-up.
60 days in a career total, period. So now i'm just tapping my foot trying to get my thoughts together and start doing a moving sale and list a bunch of stuff on CL.....I can't do much without orders/message in hand.

Does anyone that stumbles across this happen to know if the wife will be good for Ca. Unemployment under a Home of Record move, due to Medical Retirement/Sep? She's resigning very soon and i am crossing my fingers.

ceilingfan

PEB Forum Veteran
Well i'm sitting home on leave now. Had already sold 45 days back in like 2007 or whatever at a re-up.
60 days in a career total, period. So now i'm just tapping my foot trying to get my thoughts together and start doing a moving sale and list a bunch of stuff on CL.....I can't do much without orders/message in hand.

Does anyone that stumbles across this happen to know if the wife will be good for Ca. Unemployment under a Home of Record move, due to Medical Retirement/Sep? She's resigning very soon and i am crossing my fingers.
Everything I'm reading your wife should be eligible for unemployment in CA. Here's a few links I looked at...

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/labor/unemploy-comp-for-military-spouses-statutes.aspx

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Eligibility.htm

SDVWer

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Bingo...Bango Thank you. That's what i was looking for. ;)
I had read through the EDD for Ca. i'm just second guessing because we had a bad experience moving to mississippi
where they denied her unemployment. That was pretty stupid but what can you do.

California
Cal. Unemployment Insurance Code §1256
(not military specific)
An individual may be deemed to have left his or her most recent work with good cause if he or she leaves employment to accompany his or her spouse or domestic partner to a place from which it is impractical to commute to the employment. For purposes of this section "spouse" includes a person to whom marriage is imminent.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">