Retirement help not getting paid

Peter.parker.gonzalez

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If this is not the correct thread to post this in, then please guide me to the correct thread and i will remove it from here, thank you.

I currently retired on Jan 30th 2018 and it is March 1, however i have not received any income from my retirement pension i was told that i should received my dod pay a month out..after separating until the va kicks in. I have also called the dfas number but all that happens is they put me on hold forever and nothing gets resolved. Has this happened to anyone else, and also if so how did you go about fixing it?

This is irritating because even when you’re out the dod is still finding ways to try to screw you smh

You can check on your retired pay at MyPay
https://mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx

Instructions for new users are included at the website.

I’ve always had some success in reaching DFAS by being one of the first callers in the morning. Getting through around payday is challenging.

Contacting DFAS is a must. Wait on hold as long as you have to. This is your livelihood.

It could be something as simple as routing and account numbers not matching.

Contacting DFAS is a must. Wait on hold as long as you have to. This is your livelihood.

It could be something as simple as routing and account numbers not matching.
Yes, and the routing and account numbers can be reviewed on MyPay as well.

To call DFAS Retired Pay:
8 a.m to 5 p.m. ET
Military Retired & Annuitant Pay 888-332-7411, option 5, then option 3

The last time I called Retired Pay I was living in the Mountain Time Zone. Since DFAS begins answering calls @ 0800 hours Eastern Time Zone, I began calling @ 0559 hrs MT. Worked for me.

If this is not the correct thread to post this in, then please guide me to the correct thread and i will remove it from here, thank you.

I currently retired on Jan 30th 2018 and it is March 1, however i have not received any income from my retirement pension i was told that i should received my dod pay a month out..after separating until the va kicks in. I have also called the dfas number but all that happens is they put me on hold forever and nothing gets resolved. Has this happened to anyone else, and also if so how did you go about fixing it?

This is irritating because even when you’re out the dod is still finding ways to try to screw you smh

It is not likley that you will see any money from DFAS. If you retired on Jan 30th, then your VA benefits will begin on Feb 1st.

Once the VA claim is finalized, then you will receive the pay. In reality, it has only been 2 days since you should have been paid, since the VA will pay the month in arrears.

It takes about 40 days on average for the VA to finalize the claim once you are off of active duty.

It is not likley that you will see any money from DFAS. If you retired on Jan 30th, then your VA benefits will begin on Feb 1st.

Once the VA claim is finalized, then you will receive the pay. In reality, it has only been 2 days since you should have been paid, since the VA will pay the month in arrears.

It takes about 40 days on average for the VA to finalize the claim once you are off of active duty.

He specifically mentioned that he rated DoD retirement

Re: "I currently retired on Jan 30th 2018 and it is March 1, however i have not received any income from my retirement pension i was told that i should received my dod pay a month out..after separating until the va kicks in."

Assuming the DFAS received the retirement documents in a timely manner, there should have been enough time for the processing to be finished in time for payment on 1 March 2018 for the 1-28 February 2018 pay period. Back in the Stone Age when I was a finance ops chief among other duties, the USAFAC (Army predecessor of the DFAS which is for all services except USCG) cutoff for processing for a current month was 11 calendar days before the end of month.

Again, it depends on then the DFAS received the retirement packet.

However and with regard to, "In reality, it has only been 2 days since you should have been paid, since the VA will pay the month in arrears."--if the DFAS was aware of a VA award effective 31 Jan 18 (my inference), that could have caused an offset (waiver of retired pay) for 1-28 Feb 18. Good point in the quoted sentence.