Retirement Orders

TomTom84

Registered Member
I received my retirement orders this morning and was placed on the PDRL. I am assuming the percentage shown on my orders was what DOD rated me for 50% because my VA rating was 100% and it reflected what the DOD rated me. During the time I accepted my findings on the election of options form there was no option to choose in between VA or DOD, do they automatically choose the higher percentage for the service member? I was told that you have to choose either VA or DOD but again I was never given this choice. Also how do I get my entitlements set up to start right away the month after my retirement date with the VA?

Last edited:

Orange Sky

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Are you AGR, Guard, or AD? Trying to find out who cuts AGR Chapter 61 medical retirement orders without much success.

To answer your question it is my understanding you have the choice between the two but the default is what is most advantageous to the member. Just not sure at what stage you make that election.

TomTom84

Registered Member
Are you AGR, Guard, or AD? Trying to find out who cuts AGR Chapter 61 medical retirement orders without much success.

To answer your question it is my understanding you have the choice between the two but the default is what is most advantageous to the member. Just not sure at what stage you make that election.
I am active Duty Navy.

Warrior644

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I received my retirement orders this morning and was placed on the PDRL. I am assuming the percentage shown on my orders was what DOD rated me for 50% because my VA rating was 100% and it reflected what the DOD rated me. During the time I accepted my findings on the election of options form there was no option to choose in between VA or DOD, do they automatically choose the higher percentage for the service member? I was told that you have to choose either VA or DOD but again I was never given this choice. Also how do I get my entitlements set up to start right away the month after my retirement date with the VA?
First, congratulations on the receipt of military disability retirement orders with a DoD PDRL disposition! To assist with a smooth transition in the processing of your DoVA entitlements upon becoming a military disabled veteran, ensure that your DD Form 214 is uploaded now to the DoVA D-RAS in one of two ways: via eBenefits by yourself and/or via submission by your MSC.

Second, at this particular point in time since you are still on military active duty, I would highly suggest that you immediately contact your assigned MSC when accepted into the DoD IDES process to review your previous selections on the completed VA Form 21-0819 submitted to the DoVA D-RAS by the MSC. As such, you were given an opportunity to chose via the statement "No I do not want VA compensation in lieu of military retired pay" by either checking or not checking the corresponding box in item 13.

In retrospect, upon completing VA Form 21-0819 "VA/DOD JOINT DISABILITY EVALUATION BOARD CLAIM" under Section IV "MILITARY RETIRED PAY" which states "IMPORTANT - Unless you check the box in Item 13 below, you are telling us that you are choosing to receive VA compensation instead of military retired pay, if it is determined you are entitled to both benefits. If you are awarded military retired pay prior to compensation, we will reduce your retired pay by the amount of any compensation that you are awarded. VA will notify the Military Retired Pay Center of all benefit changes. If you receive both military retired pay and VA compensation, some of the amount you get may be recouped by VA, or in the case of Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI), by the Department of Defense." you are given an opportunity to accept or decline VA compensation in lieu of military retired pay if it's determined to be applicable to your specific military pay situation. Take care and enjoy!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:

mykedeee

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
First, congratulations on the receipt of military disability retirement orders with a DoD PDRL disposition! To assist with a smooth transition in the processing of your DoVA entitlements upon becoming a military disabled veteran, ensure that your DD Form 214 is uploaded now to the DoVA D-RAS in one of two ways: via eBenefits by yourself and/or via submission by your MSC.

Second, at this particular point in time since you are still on military active duty, I would highly suggest that you immediately contact your assigned MSC when accepted into the DoD IDES process to review your previous selections on the completed VA Form 21-0819 submitted to the DoVA D-RAS by the MSC. As such, you were given an opportunity to chose via the statement "No I do not want VA compensation in lieu of military retired pay" by either checking or not checking the corresponding box in item 13.

In retrospect, upon completing VA Form 21-0819 "VA/DOD JOINT DISABILITY EVALUATION BOARD CLAIM" under Section IV "MILITARY RETIRED PAY" which states "IMPORTANT - Unless you check the box in Item 13 below, you are telling us that you are choosing to receive VA compensation instead of military retired pay, if it is determined you are entitled to both benefits. If you are awarded military retired pay prior to compensation, we will reduce your retired pay by the amount of any compensation that you are awarded. VA will notify the Military Retired Pay Center of all benefit changes. If you receive both military retired pay and VA compensation, some of the amount you get may be recouped by VA, or in the case of Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI), by the Department of Defense." you are given an opportunity to accept or decline VA compensation in lieu of military retired pay if it's determined to be applicable to your specific military pay situation. Take care and enjoy!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!
Hows it going I was just recently medically retired on the 29th of May, DOD 40% PDRL VA 100%
I was told during the process that i would get out on the 29th of May so i would be able to start getting paid on the 1st of July for my 100% compensation.

i received a deposit of 78 dollars from the DOD for my retirement pay. But its for the 40% not the 100% from the VA. i checked ebenifits and my rating hasnt been uploaded yet and the IDES is in the process of making a decision. if the VA doesnt make the decision by the 1st then DOD is gonna give me my 40%. If i receive that will it cancel out my VA compensation?

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
DFAS automatically figures the options for retirement pay and elects the method that gives the member the most dollars. They will notify you of the option chosen for you and give you the opportunity to opt for less money.

mykedeee

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
DFAS automatically figures the options for retirement pay and elects the method that gives the member the most dollars. They will notify you of the option chosen for you and give you the opportunity to opt for less money.
Since i was medically retired at 10 years would i receive the 40 from DOD and a separate 100% from the VA?

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hows it going I was just recently medically retired on the 29th of May, DOD 40% PDRL VA 100%
I was told during the process that i would get out on the 29th of May so i would be able to start getting paid on the 1st of July for my 100% compensation.

i received a deposit of 78 dollars from the DOD for my retirement pay. But its for the 40% not the 100% from the VA. i checked ebenifits and my rating hasnt been uploaded yet and the IDES is in the process of making a decision. if the VA doesnt make the decision by the 1st then DOD is gonna give me my 40%. If i receive that will it cancel out my VA compensation? PLUS "Since i was medically retired at 10 years would i receive the 40 from DOD and a separate 100% from the VA? "
1. The earliest or first month you would be eligible for VA compensation would be for the 1-30 June 2018 period, which will be paid on 29 June 2018 IF the VA has processed your award in a timely manner.

2. The DFAS builds your retirement account upon receipt of the necessary info from your Human Resource Command.
You can check MyPay to determine what DFAS will disburse to you on the 29th of June. It will be zero if the VA has processed your compensation award for the same period.

3. All you retired pay will be waived due to the VA offset of 100% VA compensation. It remains to be seen if that is to occur for 1-30 June, at least from the info you provided. Once the processing is completed your will receive on a regular basis:
a. Military = zero **
b. VA = 100% rate for VA comp
**= It seems likely that the 40% DoD rate x high three = disability retired pay will be less than the ~$3000 VA comp you receive. The same would be true for 10 yr x 2.5% = 25% x high three for longevity retirement. This results in total waiver due to VA offset of approximately $3000.

4. You might be eligible for CRSC. Info pertaining to Combat Related Special Compensation can be found at:

CRSC Information

DFAS: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html

Army: https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/CRSC

Air Force: http://www.afpc.af.mil/Combat-Related-Special-Compensation

Navy/USMC:

http://www.secnav.navy.mil/mra/CORB/Pages/CRSCB/default.aspxhttps://www.uscg.mil/ppc/ras/CRDP-CRSC-News.asp

Ron

Last edited:

mykedeee

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
1. The earliest or first month you would be eligible for VA compensation would be for the 1-30 June 2018 period, which will be paid on 29 June 2018 IF the VA has processed your award in a timely manner.

2. The DFAS builds your retirement account upon receipt of the necessary info from your Human Resource Command.
You can check MyPay to determine what DFAS will disburse to you on the 29th of June. It will be zero if the VA has processed your compensation award for the same period.

3. All you retired pay will be waived due to the VA offset of 100% VA compensation. It remains to be seen if that is to occur for 1-30 June, at least from the info you provided. Once the processing is completed your will receive on a regular basis:
a. Military = zero (all waived)
b. VA = 100% rate for VA comp

4. You might be eligible for CRSC. Info pertaining to Combat Related Special Compensation can be found at:

CRSC Information

DFAS: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html

Army: https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/CRSC

Air Force: http://www.afpc.af.mil/Combat-Related-Special-Compensation

Navy/USMC:

http://www.secnav.navy.mil/mra/CORB/Pages/CRSCB/default.aspxhttps://www.uscg.mil/ppc/ras/CRDP-CRSC-News.asp

Ron
Ok perfect, one last question. I see the amount DFAS is going to pay on the 29th, the VA is still processing my claims. If the VA doesnt finish before the 29th but instead lets say the 1st (29th is when DFAS is giving me retirement funds) will i be required to pay back whatever DFAS gave me?

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Reference: "Ok perfect, one last question. I see the amount DFAS is going to pay on the 29th, the VA is still processing my claims. If the VA doesn't finish before the 29th but instead lets say the 1st (29th is when DFAS is giving me retirement funds) will i be required to pay back whatever DFAS gave me?"

Good question.

As you now know, you cannot be paid VA comp and DoD retired pay simultaneously. (You do not qualify for DFAS CRDP.) DoD retirees usually have an audit performed by DFAS prior to disbursement of retro VA comp by the VA.

Conjecture.

I believe that the VA will pay you the difference between the DoD retired pay received and the VA comp that likely accrues retroactively. In other words, if VA was $3000 and the DoD paid $1000 for 1-30 June, then you would receive $2000 from the VA. I base this thought on how VA comp is treated when the rate is higher than the DoD retired pay.

The VA will often pay the amount in excess of the retired pay prior to receipt of the DFAS audit document. That audit document explains how much should be paid by the DoD and the amount to be paid by the VA. The DFAS returns audits to the VA on/about the 5th of each month.

I do not think the DoD is going to collect the payment from you; there is no pay from which to take it.

Your VA decision/award letter will be the key. It will describe the rates, effective dates, amounts paid, and amount withheld for VA compensation.

I hope you return with the results; I have not seen this one before.

mykedeee

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
thank you for the info Ron! and yes i will let you know as soon as everything hits my bank statement

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">