Retirement pay

Slinky75

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ok, im army reservist with 19 yrs 6 months. E7. Disability retirement. With total bout 1900 points. What should i expect on monthly payment. E7 since 2011

What is your DOD % and your VA %? 1900 points = just over 5 years active duty equivalent. So more than likely your VA% is what you will receive. The VA is tax free and if you choose to accept VA Disability it will offset your medical retirement amount which will leave you with zero pay from your medical retirement.

What is your DOD % and your VA %? 1900 points = just over 5 years active duty equivalent. So more than likely your VA% is what you will receive. The VA is tax free and if you choose to accept VA Disability it will offset your medical retirement amount which will leave you with zero pay from your medical retirement.
Very good.

In this case:

1. Average high three base pay x DoD disability percentage = disability retired pay
2. The DoD disability retired pay minus amount of VA = residual retired pay you keep. Often this is zero.
3. You receive your VA compensation.

The above formula applies unless your longevity percentage is higher than the DOD disability percentage. If you have 5 years active duty equivalent then, 5 x 2.5% (or 2% for blended retirement) = 12.5%. That is less than the 30% minimum DoD disability retirement percentage.

CRSC might be a consideration, but it was not mentioned.

Ron

The army offered me 70%. My va is 70% with 1 chilc and smc
If you are requesting an estimate, please provide the following:

1. Average high three base pay (total of highest 36 months of base pay divided by 36).
2. DoD percentage
3. VA compensation:
—percentage
—amount
—dependents by type and number
—type SMC and amount
4. Active duty years and months or active duty equivalent years and months
5. Estimated CRSC Percentage if applicable

Ron

Ive been an E7 since 2011. Im rated 70% va the army offered me 70% base pay. My points are about 1900. (Which is wrong) i should be aboit 2200. 1 child on va and 1 smc for creative organ. I have combat codes on my djsability. On my order it say 5 years 23 days disability pay. But i have total 19 years 6mos service as reservist

Ive been an E7 since 2011. Im rated 70% va the army offered me 70% base pay. My points are about 1900. (Which is wrong) i should be aboit 2200. 1 child on va and 1 smc for creative organ. I have combat codes on my djsability. On my order it say 5 years 23 days disability pay. But i have total 19 years 6mos service as reservist
Please provide a reply to each item I listed.

Without the answers I can do nothing; that is the reason I listed them.

I can guess at your high three if you want.

Ron

I am going to use the info you provided. About 15 minutes will be needed for a very rough draft.

Ron

Ive been E7 for the last 3 years. I was deployed as E6 in 2009 to 2010 for a year. 2011 got promoted E7. Thats the best i can tell you as far as high three. Other than that i dknt know what my high 3 is

Case.

Ive been an E7 since 2011. Im rated 70% va the army offered me 70% base pay. My points are about 1900. (Which is wrong) i should be aboit 2200. 1 child on va and 1 smc for creative organ. I have combat codes on my djsability. On my order it say 5 years 23 days disability pay. But i have total 19 years 6mos service as reservist.

Estimate using limited info available.

1. VA : 1,526.71 + about 110.00 = 1636.71 70% with child and SMC-k
2. E7 BP guess: about 5000 high three
3. 5000 x 70% = 3500 retired pay
4. Retired pay 3500 reduced by 1636.71 = about 1863 residual retired pay you keep, paid by DFAS
5. You also receive ~1636.71 from the VA

6. 5 years AD x 2.5% = 12.5% longevity multiplier
7. 5000 x 12.5% = 625 longevity portion of retired pay
8. Since your residual retired pay exceeds your longevity amount, CRSC = zero

This is a rough estimate.

Ron

Back later if you have questions...around 2200 hrs Central.

Ron

yes, i have alot because ive been told different things by 2 different rso's and my legal rep. Note... ive been a reservist the whole time with 2 deployments and honestly thats seems like quite a bit

I also. Dont understand this longevity stuff. So im very confused with it all and would like to actually discuss if possible

The longevity is the active duty equivalent years (shown on your orders as Disability Retirement) x 2.5% X high three (5k used).

What other features do you not understand?

There are hundreds of examples on this web site you can read.

Ron

edited to add:

The combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of your retirement pay.
In your case , the residual by itself exceeds the longevity portion amount.

Last edited:
so your saying i should expect a combination of va and Disability retirement pay as a reservist to be around $3500 a month?

so your saying i should expect a combination of va and Disability retirement pay as a reservist to be around $3500 a month?
As I stated, you should receive (if the data you provided is accurate),
4. Retired pay 3500 reduced by 1636.71 = about 1863 residual retired pay you keep, paid by DFAS
5. You also receive ~1636.71 from the VA

Ron

Ok thanks... i was told my one rso he came up with $2600.00 retirement. Basing my e7 base pay for 5 yrs. Another said its based off my active duty time which would be little over 2 years. And my legal rep gave me the same numbers you did. Thats wgy i been stressing im a reservist with an amount of points. And found it hard to believe i would get all this based on my drill points

Ok thanks... i was told my one rso he came up with $2600.00 retirement. Basing my e7 base pay for 5 yrs. Another said its based off my active duty time which would be little over 2 years. And my legal rep gave me the same numbers you did. Thats wgy i been stressing im a reservist with an amount of points. And found it hard to believe i would get all this based on my drill points
Hi,

I stand by my figures with the understanding that I used your data.
Perhaps this will make you feel better: I have done hundreds, maybe thousands of these type computations and spent 25 AD years in the Army finance corps.

Ron

If you are injured while in the line of duty (LOD) or while on active duty you are entitled to a Medical Disability Retirement regardless of whether you are a member of a regular or a Reserve Force. So medically retiring is much better than the non regular retirement. That's a good point regarding high 3. I bet your base average is lower since your last 36 months weren't all active duty so your monthly pay would be much less than active duty. @RonG what do you think?

Yes but i believe they handle reservists differently. From things ive read. I just couldnt validate the meaning of time in service... does that mean all 19 yrs as a reservist or do they calculate my points and combine them to determine an active duty time? Thats where i get confused. I mean, why wouldnt the army base my pay as an e7 off 5 yrs rather than 19?