Retirement...

Jessica D.

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So, I just got off the phone with the VA. The guy said that he couldn't tell my ratings over the phone, but he said he was allowed to say, "congratulations on your retirement". He said some other stuff that led me to believe that my VA rating was pretty good as well.
He said they will be sending something to me in the mail within the next week. What is the next step from here. I know I'm waiting for someone to call me in and sign some stuff-but, is that the next thing that's going to happen? And, the VA guy said something would be in the mail very soon, is this realistic?

I'm not sure how different things are with the Navy, but my understanding is that the VA forwards their ratings back the PEB at this point. The PEB confirms everything and prepares their official findings (DA199 in the Army). That gets forwarded to your PEBLO and then on to you for review & acceptance/appeal.

I was told the same. It's there way of trying to be helpful. Usually comments like you are going to have very nice weekend or day. It's best that you first enroll for direct deposit. That way your initial payment will arrive in your bank prior to receipt of your award letter.

So, I just got off the phone with the VA. The guy said that he couldn't tell my ratings over the phone, but he said he was allowed to say, "congratulations on your retirement". He said some other stuff that led me to believe that my VA rating was pretty good as well.
He said they will be sending something to me in the mail within the next week. What is the next step from here. I know I'm waiting for someone to call me in and sign some stuff-but, is that the next thing that's going to happen? And, the VA guy said something would be in the mail very soon, is this realistic?
Call back and ask them to fax you your proposed decision.

Congrats! that was very fast if i'm not mistaken... How long did the VA part take for you? And how many conditions were they rating? I'm at a vote 2 at the PEB right now. Should get my unfit by next week, hopefully. I am really hoping the VA rating doesn't take more than a month... I know thats asking a lot, but i'm just ready to be done with all this.

Congrats! that was very fast if i'm not mistaken... How long did the VA part take for you? And how many conditions were they rating? I'm at a vote 2 at the PEB right now. Should get my unfit by next week, hopefully. I am really hoping the VA rating doesn't take more than a month... I know thats asking a lot, but i'm just ready to be done with all this.
Yeah, I think that is fast. I'm not sure if they're talking about proposed rates or if the PEB has approved it yet. Anyways, I think I had something like 13 conditions, not including my 2 referred conditions. They sent my claim to the PEB in July, so thus far, I'm at a little over a month from the day I signed it. (I was expecting it to take a lot longer, honestly.)

Not quite sure about the Navy, but I received my ratings in the mail from the VA early May... still nothing from the PEB

I just called the VA again. They said my letter went out two days ago, so I should have it any day. The guy said he couldn't fax it to me for some reason...

I just called the VA again. They said my letter went out two days ago, so I should have it any day. The guy said he couldn't fax it to me for some reason...
Call them daily until they fax it. You will never receive anything in the mail in this lifetime. Mine was supposedly mailed 2 months ago, never got anything.

Call them daily until they fax it. You will never receive anything in the mail in this lifetime. Mine was supposedly mailed 2 months ago, never got anything.
Oh, that sucks. Some people must get their's in the mail. There's stories about it on here. lol. Though, I'm not holding my breath on it.
Do you have your official ratings yet?

what is the number for the VA because i got my propose rating already ,but on ebenfit still showing gathering evidence.so i would like to call and she if ebenfits is up to date

Oh, that sucks. Some people must get their's in the mail. There's stories about it on here. lol. Though, I'm not holding my breath on it.
Do you have your official ratings yet?
I don't have my official rating yet, I just got my retirement date yesterday, so the VA will give me the official rating after I retire.

VA toll free number is 1-800-827-1000. They are usually very busy and will offer you a chance to make a phone appointment. Make sure you give them as many details as possible...I'm pretty sure they read from a script for most questions, so if you tell them exactly what is going on they might be able to help you a little more.

Ok thank you because i got my DOD rating sign for it on the 10th aug now ii am waiting for my retirement date ,because my EAOS should be the 22 SEPT so i dont know if they will use that as my retirment date. I would really want to know so i could take PTDY and terminal leave

I don't have my official rating yet, I just got my retirement date yesterday, so the VA will give me the official rating after I retire.
How long did it take you from the time you got your proposed VA ratings till you got your retirement date? And, what's the timeline for retirement dates? Like do you get to pick it, and is it within like 60 days or something? How does that part work?

i am glad that you are at this point. i am month ahead of you by months (my case had been referred for a decision for 4 months now) and i have not heard a thing from providence. it is so frustrating. i wish you the best. i am betting that you will fall between 40 to 50%. Good Luck.

i am glad that you are at this point. i am month ahead of you by months (my case had been referred for a decision for 4 months now) and i have not heard a thing from providence. it is so frustrating. i wish you the best. i am betting that you will fall between 40 to 50%. Good Luck.
They (and by "they", I mean the VA) came back in my stuff pretty quick. Quite a bit faster than I was anticipating. I don't understand why it takes so long for some people's cases. I claimed a bunch of stuff, so I don't get it.

My package was submitted to VA in April and I completed my VA appts in May, and my case has not moved whatsoever. I am active Navy and I am so glad that your process has moved so quickly. I submitted for 21 items to va including Chrons Disease and Severe Ptsd diagnoses. My PEB is for 3 items and this process has been so frustrating. I hope to hear something soon. Navy keeps losing paperwork and the VA sends me a letter every month or so with additional appts. Last friday I had an appt with a Dermoatologist and I have never even had a pimple what the heck. I swear they just keep adding issues, just so they can fight on who is going to pay me VA or Navy. I am just ready for something. Good luck and let us know what your percentages are. Navy bud!

They (and by "they", I mean the VA) came back in my stuff pretty quick. Quite a bit faster than I was anticipating. I don't understand why it takes so long for some people's cases. I claimed a bunch of stuff, so I don't get it.

i called the VA 800 number and ended up with a individual with great customer service ability. She could tell that i was frustrated and has someone from the Providence VA contact me. My case has been referred to the rating official about 150 days ago. They were able to tell me where i was in line (about 100th) and the VA (Providence) is rating about 400 cases per month. They were very helpful and i am optimistic that i will hear something soon. Cross your fingers.

I know how you feel. I am stationed in New Orleans, and now that Isaac hit, I am sure that will be another excuse for the whole process to drag on. If I just knew what I was getting and found unfit, I wouldnt mind waiting six months to get out. It is so hard to plan the future for my family, when I dont know anything. My wife and girls live in another state, and this whole process has been such a strain on them. I just want it to be over. I called VA but they were busy, and I had to schedule an appt for tomorrow. God Bless and good luck.