Retroactive back pay for Intent to file date

SeniorMech

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I'm hoping someone can chime in and help me get a better understanding of how the "intent to file" process works. So I submitted an intent to file in May of 2017 because I knew I was heading towards a med board. So what I was told was that it's very beneficial to submit the intent form while you prepare for a board or if you know you'll be expecting to apply for VA comp. So after I submitted that intent on ebenefits I went through a number of surgeries and received a ton of treatment. I contacted the VA and submitted my claim in March of 2018 so I was within the 12 month time limit. So here's my question... The PEB has found me unfit and now I'm waiting on my ratings. When I finally get everything, will I receive a big back-pay deposit dating back to when I submitted the intent to file form?

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
ITF won't be of benefit to you because you're still on Active Duty. The earliest effective date for your service connected disabilities can be is the day after your discharge date.

SeniorMech

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
ITF won't be of benefit to you because you're still on Active Duty. The earliest effective date for your service connected disabilities can be is the day after your discharge date.
Thanks for the answer man. I believe my case may be a little grey in the area though. I am on title 32 orders, but I am just a traditional Guard soldier. I was diagnosed and had a MEB initiated while on orders so it was mandatory that my orders continue until I am completed with the MEB/PEB process. Do you think that plays differently for me in this situation?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">