Revisit? Or let it be...

KenWatanabe

Registered Member
So long story and ill try to be as specific as possible.

Total service time 9 years. 40% PDL, 100% VA

5 years ago- Navy PDL for 40% one condition (Condition A).

SCRC for 50% for another condition (condition B) that recently went to 100% VA. The Navy med board did not initially consider this condition for Med Retirement purposes because they said that I had not been through a full coarse of treatment. Have now been in treatment for 5 years.

My question:

If I contact the Navy and ask them to reconsider condition B as a "Retirement eligible" condition (To be added to the 40%(Condition A)), will it increase my Navy retirement check amount and Survivor benefits for my wife after I die? Would there be any benefit to doing this or am i just spinning my wheels?

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So long story and ill try to be as specific as possible.

Total service time 9 years. 40% PDL, 100% VA

5 years ago- Navy PDL for 40% one condition (Condition A).

SCRC for 50% for another condition (condition B) that recently went to 100% VA. The Navy med board did not initially consider this condition for Med Retirement purposes because they said that I had not been through a full coarse of treatment. Have now been in treatment for 5 years.

My question:

If I contact the Navy and ask them to reconsider condition B as a "Retirement eligible" condition (To be added to the 40%(Condition A)), will it increase my Navy retirement check amount and Survivor benefits for my wife after I die? Would there be any benefit to doing this or am i just spinning my wheels?
Yes. If the BCNR reviews your evidence and finds that condition B should have been listed as an unfitting condition, your retirement pay will increase as will your survivor benefits.

Expectation management - getting a condition moved from fitting to unfitting is really really hard. The evidence has to be rock solid. You will need to completely read through all of your IDES paperwork, NARSUM, and Commanders impact statement to see why it doesn't list as unfitting. Your BCNR submission should completely disprove their reasoning and then the evidence reinforces your request.

Godspeed in your journey. It's a long one.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello @KenWatanabe ,

My reply pertains to only this question: "...will it increase my Navy retirement check amount...?"

As indicated above, yes. However, your new retired pay amount will be reduced (like your original retired pay) dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received.
I have no expertise in SBP matters; my then-wife and I declined coverage 30 years ago.

Good luck,
Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">