Rheumatoid Arthritis - My take

Odiemus

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I probably first had symptoms in 2009, which I promptly ignored since the pain wasn't bad. I had excellent PT scores until 2012. My feet and back were the hardest hit. I could do the same amount of effort, but I had less results. By 2014, I had difficulty with PT and went to the doctors (KEESLER MS) and was told it was nothing. In 2015, my shoulder went out during a PT test and I was seen by the on base doctors who called it bursitis, then arthritis, then not arthritis. I finally went through surgery in 2016 to repair the labrum and resecure the Bicep tendon to my arm. I saw a neurologist (off base) for tremors in my hands (Since 2015) a few months later. He called it benign and put in for labs since he had no idea why my hands were swollen. I came back positive for one of the markers for an autoimmune disease and was sent to a Rheumatologist in Oct 2016. I was pulled from deployment due to an unspecified autoimmune disease.

We tried some different meds and discovered some allergies. I watched the swelling, pain, and nodules spread from my hands and feet towards the center of my body... until everything hurt. Fun Fact: The sternum is also a joint. It was not called RA until May of 2017 when I started Humira (By then all major joints were affected). My MEB package was submitted in July 2017. From May-July I was sick and bounced on convalescent leave, I spent one week bedridden. I was told from the outset that my prognosis was poor and would be found unfit. My off-base rheumy also indicated that my disease was active and aggressive. I was still very capable in early 2016 and fell apart quite rapidly from late 2016 to summer 2017.

I was submitted as unfitting for 6 joints and depression, while my other joints were also included as (fitting?) claims with the VA. I did my C&P exams from Sept-Nov. (The examiner left out some details on the first go.) I had 55 X-rays. They found damage to my hands via rheumy sonogram, feet and back via X-ray, and shoulder via old MRI. All other joints were shown as normal via x-ray. (Hands were normal on x-ray/not on sonogram.) I was willing to access my patient portal for tricare and off base doc to assist the C&P examiner. I showed swelling/deformity to hands and nodules on wrist/fingers. I performed with full ROM on all joints accept right hip (still within limits). Many (but not all) joints cracked and popped during examination. I explained quickened fatigue/increased pain due to joint use, constant pain ranging from a 3-7 on the pain scale and being immuno-suppressed due to all the fun drugs. I specified that my right side was vastly more impacted than my left side.

At the end of November I received the following ratings. DOD - 100% (Permanent)/VA - 100% (I am assuming P&T since the RA alone adds to 95% and my preliminary paperwork only specifies how they will increase). DOD rated both my lower and upper back, while the VA only rated the back singularly. I was given 50% for depression (specified to be re-evaluated), 20% for both shoulders, 10% for 18 (17 VA) other joints, and 9x 10% bilateral ratings. I feel I was handled quite generously by both the USAF and the VA. I got my retirement orders on 13 Dec. My retirement date is 28 Jan. I have an appointment for SSDI on 18 Dec. I will be unable to work due to pain, unreliable symptoms, and immuno-supression.

I hope this helps someone out there.