Risk of doing MEB now- title 32 tech

justamarty

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have 18 yrs and two months in the National guard. Work as a title 32 tech. 60 percent VA disability. Two deployments and a two year active tour plus 3+ years of ADOS totalling just over 4000 active retirement points. I've been trying to hold on until 20 years (reserve side) so I qualify for retirement at 57 (w my qualifying periods). We got a notice of sourcing (NOS) for a deployment next year in the spring. Worried my back, knees, and hip can't take it. Thinking of speaking with my command in the very near future. I'm not too concerned on the tech side if I get out. Hopefully I'll get the 60/40, but I'm more concerned w my mil retirement. If I throw in the towel now and finish my MEB/PEB at 19yrs and a few months, do I risk getting a severance rather than a retirement. My conditions are service connected, I have LODs, but i'm a little concerned that DoD might not rate me as high. Just don't want any big surprises. Anyone ever have DoD come back with something way different than VA? If anyone can explain a bunch of this, I'd appreciate. I've posted another thread before, but things have changed and I really don't think I can suck it up through 20....maybe could wait until the fall, but I don't think that would be fair to my unit.

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
How old are you currently? Any profiles? Are you currently in the MEB process?

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
DoD Determines what is unfitting.... and if you are already rated for those unfitting conditions then that can give you a clue if you could be looking at retirement or severance. the first step is if you have had an IRILO done and are you currently on a profile/waiver for your conditions....

justamarty

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
How old are you currently? Any profiles? Are you currently in the MEB process?
I'm 43. No profile. I've always managed to do what I need to do despite pain. I'm medical, used to be in a field unit, but now I'm at the State Med Det TDA. Basically, I still sick it up enough to do my PT test. We never really go to the field. Not in the MEB process. It wouldn't be hard for me to get a profile and be referred to that MAR2 in a couple months period in my state and then referred to the MEB as I regularly see those that guide those processes.

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
if you go through all the processes and appeals you might yet make 20.... however you wouldn't draw concurrent receipt until you are 57, but upon medical retirement you would have the benefits immediately, and if your conditions happened during deployments there is CRDP

justamarty

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
DoD Determines what is unfitting.... and if you are already rated for those unfitting conditions then that can give you a clue if you could be looking at retirement or severance. the first step is if you have had an IRILO done and are you currently on a profile/waiver for your conditions....
Whats an IRILO?

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
That was my thought process. Try to meet with you states surgeon general. I personally have never seen a MEB get started without at least a P3 for a year or longer.

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Whats an IRILO?
initial review in lieu of (IRILO) an MEB is the before step that goes to the reserves or NGB (whichever you fall in)… this is the first step before an MEB at least on the Air National Guard side

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have 18 yrs and two months in the National guard. Work as a title 32 tech. 60 percent VA disability. Two deployments and a two year active tour plus 3+ years of ADOS totalling just over 4000 active retirement points. I've been trying to hold on until 20 years (reserve side) so I qualify for retirement at 57 (w my qualifying periods). We got a notice of sourcing (NOS) for a deployment next year in the spring. Worried my back, knees, and hip can't take it. Thinking of speaking with my command in the very near future. I'm not too concerned on the tech side if I get out. Hopefully I'll get the 60/40, but I'm more concerned w my mil retirement. If I throw in the towel now and finish my MEB/PEB at 19yrs and a few months, do I risk getting a severance rather than a retirement. My conditions are service connected, I have LODs, but i'm a little concerned that DoD might not rate me as high. Just don't want any big surprises. Anyone ever have DoD come back with something way different than VA? If anyone can explain a bunch of this, I'd appreciate. I've posted another thread before, but things have changed and I really don't think I can suck it up through 20....maybe could wait until the fall, but I don't think that would be fair to my unit.

I’ve been down this road. What specifically are your questions, technician disability retirements or military disability retirements?

justamarty

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
initial review in lieu of (IRILO) an MEB is the before step that goes to the reserves or NGB (whichever you fall in)… this is the first step before an MEB at least on the Air National Guard side
Thanks. That what we call the MAR2 (MOS Administrative Retention Review). Gotta love our acronyms! Haven't gone down that road yet, but first would be profile, and then referred to the MAR2 shortly thereafter. We have them monthly.

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks. That what we call the MAR2 (MOS Administrative Retention Review). Gotta love our acronyms! Haven't gone down that road yet, but first would be profile, and then referred to the MAR2 shortly thereafter. We have them monthly.
so from what i have seen and experienced you have to be on profile for a year before it goes to MAR2 that would get you to 19.... can you put in for retirement at 19 on your side of the house? if so then you get retained to 20.... now the thing is you would be missing out on Tricare and other retiree benefits from roughly age 45-57..... now another caveat if you can get the 20 and a medical retirement you get immediate retirement benefits, and then concurrent receipt at age 57.... not too shabby. and if you stay at 60 percent either way from age 45 to 57 you also get the difference from the VA disability, and what your retirement pay would be....

1200 va disability @60% guess....
20 year retirement say about 2500 (guess for e7 at least over 20 years)
1300 - DFAS will pay you on top of the VA disability, but this is taxed unless it's combat related... and you would get that now.... not waiting until 57...

justamarty

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I’ve been down this road. What specifically are your questions, technician disability retirements or military disability retirements?
Mostly on the mil side. I had asked a lot on the tech side in my other thread when I was thinking I could stick it out a couple more years.
-could I be separated on severance with about 19 years in reserves (11 years in retirement points bc of deployments, ADOS, Stateside active tour, annual training, drills,...) That would be a major loss if that happened.
-i get 60 percent VA disability. What's the best case scenario if I go through MeB? Worst case?
- what qualifies me to receive anything in military medical retirement immediately? As somebody with less than 20 yrs active service is it even possible to see anything like that? Some of my conditions are from a combat zone, but not from active combat.
-can you explain VA offset? Not sure if I understand that or if I'd qualify as a reservist.

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hopefully I'll get the 60/40, but I'm more concerned w my mil retirement. If I throw in the towel now and finish my MEB/PEB at 19yrs and a few months, do I risk getting a severance rather than a retirement. My conditions are service connected, I have LODs, but i'm a little concerned that DoD might not rate me as high. Just don't want any big surprises.

For guardsmen and women you need 20 good years to qualify for a retirement.

“do I risk getting a severance rather than a retirement” it’s a possibility if you do not meet 30% DOD disability requirements.

My conditions are service connected, I have LODs, but i'm a little concerned that DoD might not rate me as high. Just don't want any big surprises. Anyone ever have DoD come back with something way different than VA?

I was granted a different percentage on the DOD side versus the VA side.

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If your retirement on the military side is higher, you can elect that WHEN you reach 60yrs old.

justamarty

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
For guardsmen and women you need 20 good year to qualify for a retirement.

“do I risk getting a severance rather than a retirement” it’s a possibility if you do not meet 30% DOD disability requirements.

Significant difference? I just hope I don't go in with 60 on the VA side and come back with 10 or 20 on the mil side.

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
For guardsmen and women you need 20 good years to qualify for a retirement.

ill use my sceneario:

I have 10 Rated conditions by the VA, but only 3 are the unfitting conditions from the MEB - my VA is 90%
The 3 Conditions that are DOD unfit, are 30, 30, 30 - which is a 60% dod disability.... even if only 1 of these was found unfitting I would still be retired at 30%...

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Significant difference? I just hope I don't go in with 60 on the VA side and come back with 10 or 20 on the mil side.
it depends on what your unfitting conditions are of your existing VA rated conditions

Russ35057

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
20 percent back
10 percent left knee
10 percent left wrist
10 percent right wrist
10 percent R hip
10 percent r foot
what conditions are considered for unfitting for service??? also have an MRI of your lumbar spine completed....