RPAM Question & AYE Retirement Timeline

RedAsh77

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello!

I will have 19 years of service in September of 2022. If I have 50 points or more by September 2023 can I retire with 20 good years in service? My AYE date is JAN 2024. I have been told different things. One person said to me that as long as I have my 50 points by the end of SEP 2023 I can submit for retirement and my RPAM would reflect that AYE change. Another person told me I would need to go past my AYE date in January 2024. This means would I need to extend my contract by 6 months since my ETS date is NOV 2023.

Any guidance or regulation referrals out there that you all could share?

Thanks much!
Ak

Hello!

I will have 19 years of service in September of 2022. If I have 50 points or more by September 2023 can I retire with 20 good years in service? My AYE date is JAN 2024. I have been told different things. One person said to me that as long as I have my 50 points by the end of SEP 2023 I can submit for retirement and my RPAM would reflect that AYE change. Another person told me I would need to go past my AYE date in January 2024. This means would I need to extend my contract by 6 months since my ETS date is NOV 2023.

Any guidance or regulation referrals out there that you all could share?

Thanks much!
Ak
You not only need 50 points for 20 years you need 20 years of Active Federal Service time. My wife was in the same situation. So you do need 20 full years in the Reserves to get a 20 year letter.

Thank you! I’m still a little confused but I think I understand what you’re saying about the AYE for the 20yrs.

I will have 20 years in September 2023 and when I hit my January 31st AYE date of 2024 I will have 20yrs and 4 months. I may be going through a MEB and really just want to hit my 20 and be done with it ✅

Thank you! I’m still a little confused but I think I understand what you’re saying about the AYE for the 20yrs.

I will have 20 years in September 2023 and when I hit my January 31st AYE date of 2024 I will have 20yrs and 4 months. I may be going through a MEB and really just want to hit my 20 and be done with it ✅
20 years in service. Calendar years. My wife is at 19 years 11 months. She has way more than 50 points. If she wasn't to make it past next month she would not get a 20 year letter even though she had 20 years with 50 points. So even though she would have 20 good years she didn't hit 20 years in service to get a 20 year letter. If they MEB you out you get a 15 year letter so you are covered either way. A 15 year letter is the same as a 20 year letter for non regular retirement purposes. The only downside is no CRDP at retirement with a 15 year letter. So you don't have near as much to lose if they kick you out before 20. Active duty isn't so lucky. Also, if they do kick you out with LOD you get immediate retirement chapter 61 if rated 30% or higher for unfitting conditions. If less than 30% you decline severance and they give you 15 year letter or 20 year letter if you can reach it. Also, at the end you can apply for COAR which is a last ditch effort to let you stay until you hit 20 years in the reserves. This is after they find you unfit and try to kick you out.

Excellent summary (above) by @Provis .

Ron

20 years in service. Calendar years. My wife is at 19 years 11 months. She has way more than 50 points. If she wasn't to make it past next month she would not get a 20 year letter even though she had 20 years with 50 points. So even though she would have 20 good years she didn't hit 20 years in service to get a 20 year letter. If they MEB you out you get a 15 year letter so you are covered either way. A 15 year letter is the same as a 20 year letter for non regular retirement purposes. The only downside is no CRDP at retirement with a 15 year letter. So you don't have near as much to lose if they kick you out before 20. Active duty isn't so lucky. Also, if they do kick you out with LOD you get immediate retirement chapter 61 if rated 30% or higher for unfitting conditions. If less than 30% you decline severance and they give you 15 year letter or 20 year letter if you can reach it. Also, at the end you can apply for COAR which is a last ditch effort to let you stay until you hit 20 years in the reserves. This is after they find you unfit and try to kick you out.
Thank you, @Provis! My MEB would be Non-Duty related. They extended my profile one last time until this SEP 2022 and then will start the MEB in SEP. The case manager stated this past week that the board might even retain me as an E-7 with 19 years in and in I am in a non-deployable unit. I filed a VA claim last September. I have all of the presumptive that came out in AUG of last year. Severe asthma, sinusitis, rhinitis, and urticaria. Everyone tells me to limp to 20 If I can but I am trying to relocate states thinking it may help improve my health. If I have to extend that sets me back almost 2 years. :( I have told them I will appeal everything but now that I may need to extend I may select the 15-year letter once its starts. It is always something it seems. Thanks for all of your feedback because I have literally received different answers on this and it makes it very hard to make decisions on inconsistent information.

Thank you, @Provis! My MEB would be Non-Duty related. They extended my profile one last time until this SEP 2022 and then will start the MEB in SEP. The case manager stated this past week that the board might even retain me as an E-7 with 19 years in and in I am in a non-deployable unit. I filed a VA claim last September. I have all of the presumptive that came out in AUG of last year. Severe asthma, sinusitis, rhinitis, and urticaria. Everyone tells me to limp to 20 If I can but I am trying to relocate states thinking it may help improve my health. If I have to extend that sets me back almost 2 years. :( I have told them I will appeal everything but now that I may need to extend I may select the 15-year letter once its starts. It is always something it seems. Thanks for all of your feedback because I have literally received different answers on this and it makes it very hard to make decisions on inconsistent information.
I would fight to stay fit. I would try to stick it out since you are in the reserves. Work on getting your 50 points for a good year and hit 20 years in and then apply for being moved to gray area retirement. If you can't or don't want to its not the end of the world but since you are so close I think it would be great if you could. You don't want to look back 5 or 10 years from now and regret it because CRDP is huge.

Also, you don't select 15 year letter. its automatically created for you upon being kicked out. If they medically separate you between 15 good years and 19 good years you will get the 15 year letter.