Schedule of Ratings Mental Disorders

Jason Perry

Founder and Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Here is the schedule for rating mental disorders and Table 8 from DODI 1332.39 (a summary of the rating criteria for mental disorders).

Attachments

• Schedule of ratings for mental disorders.doc
    83 KB · Views: 1,495
Condition Criteria for Mental Disorder 9440

So, the language in my recent phychological review my a military civilian doc (with the appropriate credentials to due this process) reflects nearly all the exact language featured in the 50% level catagory in Adjustment Disorder 9440. The term "Adjustment Disorder" is also featured in the heading of the final medical form for record. Does this mean I should apply to the VA for formal review and compensation consideration?

I am off active duty after today, Honorably discharged due to the 9440 condition situation. I have no job coming, and a family to support-and focus on these imprtant things is all but gone-thanks to a consistant chain of events levied on my head and my family's head during the last year of active duty. My last tour was at the Pentagon. I feel as if I came to Europe, and was "pushed" off a cliff. This is an awful time for anyone in this situation. Thanks for any guidance.

:(

Yes, file a claim

SGT Kenhall,

Welcome to PEB Forum! I am sorry that you went through what must have been an awful experience.

You should definitely file a VA claim.

That aside, do you agree with the Adjustment Disorder diagnosis? If you do not, you may want to consider appealing your discharge. Whether you should or not will depend on the facts of your case, but it is an option.

Please post any questions you have and we will try to help you here.

Still spinning in circles

I can't disagree with the final judgement of the psych doc. I saw it coming for months, and just put my hand up when I was forgetting to salute officers in passing. That was when I knew I was over the edge of being responsible via the many Army-generated issues.
SGT Kenhall,

Welcome to PEB Forum! I am sorry that you went through what must have been an awful experience.

You should definitely file a VA claim.

That aside, do you agree with the Adjustment Disorder diagnosis? If you do not, you may want to consider appealing your discharge. Whether you should or not will depend on the facts of your case, but it is an option.

Please post any questions you have and we will try to help you here.

Keep your options open

sgtkenhall,

Though the military makes mistakes in processing cases, they also get many cases right. So, if you think they got it right, then not appealing is a reasonable choice. The only thing I would add is that in my experience, sometimes over time, veterans will change their mind about wanting to appeal. This can happen for many reasons, including getting treatment for mental disorders, or by simply having time away from military service. Given that you may at some future point change your mind, I would urge you to keep good copies of all records in a secure place and keep in mind the three year general limitation on appeals to ABCMR.

If you have any questions, go ahead and post them.

Wanted to remind everyone, with the passage of the 2008 NDAA, Table 8's use and validity is questionable. In fact, I would watch for findings quoting language as to degree of impairment (definite, moderate, etc.) as something that maybe legal error.

I'm confused: My conditions 9400 Generalized anxiety disorder and 9434 Major depressive disorder are listed under §4.130 Schedule of ratings-mental disorders, but there is not rating assigned to them. Are they rated under Table 8 from DODI 1332.39 (a summary of the rating criteria for mental disorders)? Does PEB do that? Will PEB use Table 8 and the medical report to determine the rating based on an average of the symptoms?

When I had my VA C&P Mental Disorder appointment their was a list of diagnosis at the end (Axis I-V). I was actually wondering if these actually meant anything (especially the GAF score) when it comes to future employment? My diagnosis is listed below:

DSM-IV Diagnosis:

Axis I: Panic Disorder, Adjustment disorder with depressed mood
Axis II: No diagnosis
Axis III: Hypertension, chronic lower back pain, hearing loss, stroke (May 2008)
Axis IV: chronic medical condition
Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF): 58

The VA rated me at 30% for the Axis I diagnosis, but I was really curious about the GAF score. It seems kind of low, and I was wondering if this meant anything when it pertains to the IPEB looking at it.

Mental health is required to use multi axis diagnoses, but each axis is not necessarily a separate thing, most of it relates back to axis 1.
Axis I: Clinical Disorder diagnosed by mental health or other physician
Axis II: Personality Disorders and Mental Retardation.
Axis III: General Medical Conditions.
Axis IV: Psychosocial and Environmental Problems.
Axis V: Global Assessment of Functioning Scale.
The GAF is a scale (0 through 100) used to rate the social, occupational and psychological functioning of adults. It’s used by the VA and PEBs to determine a rating from the VASRD. A PEB could also use it to gauge a conditions impact and fitness for duty, but in my experience they would want to see written examples in the narrative to support the score.

A score of 58 falls on the upper end of the moderate range. The VA likely used this in part to determine their 30% rating. Providers I’ve worked with over my career have told me an average person off the street falls between 70-80 depending on what’s happening in their life at the time.
91-100 Superior functioning in a wide range of activities, life's problems never seem to get out of hand, is sought out by others because of his or her many qualities. No symptoms.
81-90 Absent or minimal symptoms, good functioning in all areas, interested and involved in a wide range of activities, socially effective, generally satisfied with life, no more than everyday problems or concerns.
71-80 If symptoms are present they are transient and expectable reactions to psychosocial stresses; no more than slight impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.
61-70 Some mild symptoms OR some difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning, but generally functioning pretty well, has some meaningful interpersonal relationships.
51-60 Moderate symptoms OR any moderate difficulty in social, occupational, or school functioning.
41-50 Serious symptoms OR any serious impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.
31-40 Some impairment in reality testing or communication OR major impairment in several areas, such as work or school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood.
21-30 Behavior is considerably influenced by delusions or hallucinations OR serious impairment in communications or judgment OR inability to function in all areas.
11-20 Some danger of hurting self or others OR occasionally fails to maintain minimal personal hygiene OR gross impairment in communication.
1-10 Persistent danger of severely hurting self or others OR persistent inability to maintain minimum personal hygiene OR serious suicidal act with clear expectation of death.
0 Not enough information available to provide GAF.

really not understanding the MENTAL DISORDER piece its kinda vague, because at the begining it dont list the rating:confused:

I have put a claim in for major depressive disorder/anxiety/PTSD...and it has been over a year and now it is at Pending Decision Approval. My diagnosis from my doctor is:
Axis I: Chronic Major Depression
Axis II: n/a
Axis III: Acid Reflux
Axis IV: 5
Axis V: GAF 45

I had a C&P exam was Nov. 13, 2013 and the VA Doctor seemed to give me a favorable diagnosis also. I hoping for a favorable rating. Any suggestions.

Where do you get your Axis score/info?

Where do you get your Axis score/info?

Does not really matter, they use the occupational and social impairment statement for your rating.

GAF was a thing of the past, hence the post from 2014 that you replied to.