Second MEB initiated

swashy

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
hi all,

I'm in the middle of my MEB, received the percentages the other month and appealed, I have my formal hearing at the end of July. I have just (this week) been diagnosed with a rare type of t-cell lymphoma, my dermatologist told me to schedule with my pcm to have them initiate another MEB. I was wondering if a secondary MEB is possible like he says, has anyone ever come across/heard about this happening. Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ask your PCM for a new profile to include the new condition. This will make more sense to them. Then what should happen is the MEB should then add the new condition as also possibly unfitting. You are a bit far along for that. Likely you'd want to argue at the formal hearing to add this new condition as unfit (with profile as proof) or restart your MEB for proper development. Likely a restart would be required so that the VA can rate it. You may or may not be willing to spend the extra time in the military to get this right, obviously you are going to take a few extra months to get stuff fixed.

Often the problem with late breaking stuff is the doc is hesitant to do a permanent profile until things develop more (temporary for a year is recommended) or because you are already out the door (doc is lazy or uncertain about rules). It may require pushing back to any no's you encounter. Dermatologist is likely military, since he understands profiles a little. If true, the dermatologist can write the profile, but like I said, lazy or uneducated about rules.

You should ask your legal counsel about a Recall. The Recall allows for additional information to be added, such as a new diagnosis. It might mean that you have to go back to the VA for additional C&P exams, but it will work a lot better than asking the FPEB to include it. Ive seen the FPEB refuse to do anything other than look at whats already been diagnosed/rated.

Ive seen the FPEB refuse to do anything other than look at whats already been diagnosed/rated.
From the examples I've seen the PEB always justifies this because of the lack of profile/LIMDU. Diagnosis isn't enough. Interference with work also needs to be shown. Profile is best/easiest way for medical people to document why this diagnosis means you can't do what is expected (unfit), but not the only way.

Cancer is enough of a curve ball to get around this, sometimes, but it is far from a guarantee. People have had cancer treated and been able to stay in, it is still case dependent.

Thank you all for the replies. PCM submitted a packet for an MEB for the lymphoma, just had word today that it will initiate an MEB for this diagnosis. They've recalled my FPEB, I'll head back to Washington and then go from there.