Seeking answer on Tricare eligibility

lookatthisgraph

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I've searched around and found mixed answers on this question. I'm a 16 year reservist w/ 3300 points and 80% VA rating. Still mid-process, PEB is not concluded yet so I won't ask too many questions. My main concern is Tricare. Here are the opinions I've seen for a reserve medical retirement:

reserve retirement pay @ 60
CRDP @ 60
TDRL w/ reserve retirement pay, CRDP, and free Tricare now
VA medical for myself only
Tricare for Life now w/ a premium
Tricare Retired reserve now w/ a premium
Tricare for Life now for free for the whole family

Not really concerned about the pay, but I'm worried about medical for the fam. Is there a definitive answer on medical coverage for 15>20 year reservists with >30% rating? My next stop is talking to a JAG. Thought I would check with the community. Thanks

I've searched around and found mixed answers on this question. I'm a 16 year reservist w/ 3300 points and 80% VA rating. Still mid-process, PEB is not concluded yet so I won't ask too many questions. My main concern is Tricare. Here are the opinions I've seen for a reserve medical retirement:

reserve retirement pay @ 60
CRDP @ 60
TDRL w/ reserve retirement pay, CRDP, and free Tricare now
VA medical for myself only
Tricare for Life now w/ a premium
Tricare Retired reserve now w/ a premium
Tricare for Life now for free for the whole family

Not really concerned about the pay, but I'm worried about medical for the fam. Is there a definitive answer on medical coverage for 15>20 year reservists with >30% rating? My next stop is talking to a JAG. Thought I would check with the community. Thanks
Less than 30% = no Tricare for family right away. If less than 30 percent you would decline severance and get a 15 year letter. The reason you decline severance is because if you take severance it will be recouped by VA compensation and you don't get a non regular retirement at age 60. No CRDP at age 60 with 15 year letter. You need a 20 year letter for that. There are not any good options for insurance for family if less than 30%. 30% or higher = medical retirement if condition has LOD and then you would be immediately medically retired with Tricare for family. If no LOD for unfitting condition then you would be medically separated with no severance or medically retirement but would get 15 year letter to retire at non regular retirement age of 60.

Thanks @Provis. I suspect there is an issue with the LOD as I should have been offered medical retirement. Will consult with a JAG.
You're welcome! Just remember for medical retirement it's not your total VA rating. The only conditions they look at are the ones that are unfitting with an LOD. So you could have an 80% or higher VA rating but only a 10% rating for that unfitting LOD and that would put you under what you need to get medically retired.