Selling Leave prior to Separation

Justin727

Registered Member
I am on the last steps of my MEB, just submitted my VAR today. I will have 90 days leave come Oct 1, which everyone knows you lose anything over 60 after that. I've been in the MEB process since March, and during the process you are not supposed to take leave. I was supposed to recieve my orders end of August/September time frame. In which I was going to take my 60 days leave, 20 PTDY and sell back the rest. That's over $5000 before taxes that just disappears. Has anybody heard of an exception to policy or an extension so that soldiers do not lose there leave prior to separation? I am going to talk with legal Monday to hopefully find out more.

I am on the last steps of my MEB, just submitted my VAR today. I will have 90 days leave come Oct 1, which everyone knows you lose anything over 60 after that. I've been in the MEB process since March, and during the process you are not supposed to take leave. I was supposed to receive my orders end of August/September time frame. In which I was going to take my 60 days leave, 20 PTDY and sell back the rest. That's over $5000 before taxes that just disappears. Has anybody heard of an exception to policy or an extension so that soldiers do not lose their leave prior to separation? I am going to talk with legal Monday to hopefully find out more.

I was allowed to take leave during my MEB. The only stipulation was that I wasn't allowed to leave the local area and had to be available any time anything MEB related needed to be done.

For USAF, from what I've read in the regs, your unit has to let you take any leave past 60 days. Maybe Army regs are similar.

The only provision I know of is SLA, which you need 120 days worth of imminent danger pay to qualify.

I'd recommend dropping a 30 day leave request, unless SLA applies.

I think as soon as the LES comes out the leave balance will become 60. I've only lost leave once but I was deployed and SLA applied so admin restored the lost days under SLA.

"Special Leave Accrual (SLA) allows Soldiers who serve in hostile fire/imminent danger area for a continuous period of at least 120 days to accumulate and retain up to 120 days of leave (60 days of ordinary leave, plus 60 days of SLA-protected leave). The intent of SLA is to provide relief to Soldiers who are not allowed leave when undergoing lengthy deployment or during periods of hostility."

I was able to sell leave in excess of 60 days, but I was a reservist mobilized on AD.