Separated at 18 years 7 months, 24 days and not retirement eligible

orting1334

PEB Forum Regular Member
Has the Navy reconsidered and allowed any to retire with over 18 years active service like the Air Force does, when separated due to medical reasons?

I was separated via PEB in 1997 and on TRL for 5 years and then promptly separated with no benefits. They tried to say I could go back in, but further issues had come up after the initial separation and I could not pass a physical for active duty. I was given Separation Pay, which was promptly considered overpayment and taken back, since I am collecting Disability from the VA. I don't need the retired pay as much as I would love to have benefits for my spouse and access to a base with commissary privileges.

Eric

Has the Navy reconsidered and allowed any to retire with over 18 years active service like the Air Force does, when separated due to medical reasons?

I was separated via PEB in 1997 and on TRL for 5 years and then promptly separated with no benefits. They tried to say I could go back in, but further issues had come up after the initial separation and I could not pass a physical for active duty. I was given Separation Pay, which was promptly considered overpayment and taken back, since I am collecting Disability from the VA. I don't need the retired pay as much as I would love to have benefits for my spouse and access to a base with commissary privileges.

Eric
I am in exactly the same situation...have you found any answers?

Eric, while you were medically retired and placed on TDRL, you would have had to be found FIT by the PEB and then you could have been given the opportunity to come back in if you could have passed an accessions physical and not found UNFIT for any other condition. Questions, contact PERS-82 at 901-874-3230.

TPSparks,

When were you separated? Were all your medical conditions covered in your TDRL exam? Did your TDRL review determine if conditions raised for the first time on the TDRL review were in fact present when you separated and should have been covered in your original MEB? There has been a huge problem with the Navy not doing TDRL exams in compliance with the requirement of DoDI 1332.38.

Mike

TPSparks,

When were you separated? Were all your medical conditions covered in your TDRL exam? Did your TDRL review determine if conditions raised for the first time on the TDRL review were in fact present when you separated and should have been covered in your original MEB? There has been a huge problem with the Navy not doing TDRL exams in compliance with the requirement of DoDI 1332.38.

Mike
Maparker,
Is it still your position that the Navy is not doing the TDRL exams in compliance with the DoDI 1332.38? If so, I just want to head into mine with that in the back of my mind.

Yes, it has been a continuing problem but in general you can get it done to standard by appealing and laying out what wasn't done correctly.

Mike

I was in similar situation. After 19 years 1 month and 12 days, I was separated with severance due to PEB unfit. 10% Navy 80% VA.