Setting separation date?

bleacherspy

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I got my finding back last week and I am being medically retired. The documents say I get to set a date from 30 to 90 days from notification.

Do I need to take leave in order to get it to 90 days?

My 90 day point would be 1 NOV 17, would it be better to to make my last day 30 OCT 17 so I become eligible for VA pay 1 NOV and get a check by 1 DEC? Seems so but wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I have 64 days of leave that I won't really need if I can set my out day at 90. Guessing it's best to get paid for that?

I know there's a lot of smart folks on here so please give me the best options.

As you appear to know, you can not get paid by the VA if you work one day of AD during the month. So retiring near the end of the month helps minimize loss VA pay. In my case, the service would not let me retire later than X day of the month, so I choose that day. Best wishes in the next chapter! Mike

If I set my date as 31 OCT 17 then will I get paid for all of OCT and become eligible for VA on 1 NOV? I've seen conflicting info that you should allow a day, but if I set my retirement date on 30 OCT then my last paycheck from DOD will be 15 OCT. As I understand it, 30 OCT would make my effective date 31 OCT and my VA pay counter would start 1 NOV with my first paycheck on 1 DEC

Last edited:
You should still get a check for the 15-30 of Oct from the DoD on Nov 1st. They pay you for the days you have worked not about to work.