severance Pay and MGIB benefits

Alligator07

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I got a letter since I was discharged with 10% severance pay in 2007 after 2 years active duty AF. My main concern is my MGIB. I received 48 months since I got medically separated rather than retired. I used all this benefit. Won't I be required to pay back the 12 months of MBIG if the decision is changed to retired? This is in addition to the $5k I received in severance pay? Does any one know?

Thanks!

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I got a letter since I was discharged with 10% severance pay in 2007 after 2 years active duty AF. My main concern is my MGIB. I received 48 months since I got medically separated rather than retired. I used all this benefit. Won't I be required to pay back the 12 months of MBIG if the decision is changed to retired? This is in addition to the $5k I received in severance pay? Does any one know?

Thanks!

It is my understanding that a Vet can have up to 48 months of ed benefits during their lifetime. You can also use VA Voc Rehab for additional education beyond that if your application is approved and you are so qualified to use VA Voc Rehab.

Nwlivewire

It is my understanding that a Vet can have up to 48 months of ed benefits during their lifetime. You can also use VA Voc Rehab for additional education beyond that if your application is approved and you are so qualified to use VA Voc Rehab.

Nwlivewire
Correction, it is 36 months of Education Bill with an additional 12 months from the Voc Rehab. with a possibility of an additional amount with approval if enrolled through the Voc Rehab program.

if you used 36 or 48months under voc rehab etc. and you are changed from severanced to retired under a PDBR or BCMR etc. the benefit is the same so should be no changes.

Correction, it is 36 months of Education Bill with an additional 12 months from the Voc Rehab. with a possibility of an additional amount with approval if enrolled through the Voc Rehab program.

In my own personal situation, I have used 47 months of GI Bill (36 chapter 1606 reserve and 11 chapter 1607 REAP)

I qualified for 45 additional months of Vocational Rehabilitation and am currently using it while on active duty still.

If you have at least one day of MGIB (poist 9/11) then you can receive the housing allowance (BAH E-5 dependents) for up to 45 months.

I do not get to start collecting the housing allowance until I am off active duty (DD-214) but the payment will be retroactive to the date I separate (it may take a month or two for my Voc Rehab counselor to get it paid)

I'm 30% SC through the VA but never used the Voc rehab. I used the chap 31 and chapter 30. I submitted my question to DFAS since the PDBR did not know the answer to my finance question. I'm pretty sure I will have to pay it back but I will post the answer as soon as I know.

Thank-you grizz13.

For whatever reason, I fell under an old VA program that is no longer in use. The VA is NOT counting that time against me on my 48 month total as it has been "defunct" or "no longer in service" for quite some time.

The VA is however, counting ed time I have used in a program that is still in use today, even though that education time was used 20 years ago and the education I received 20 years ago is now basically obsolete.

So I guess it all depends again on the situation. But what you wrote would apply to most newly minted Vets under most circumstances.

When I called the VA, they looked up my ed records and said I have about 31 months remaining on my Post 9/11 GI Bill without the additional 12 months from Voc Rehab. They added an automatic 12 months to my GI Bill time as I would be a first time user of this benefit and they did not take away the time I used on that defunct program I did use way back when.

I don't know why - maybe some kind of obscure law somewhere. But I'm not complaining.

I do not have my certification in front of me - I will be applying for my certification soon. The above information is what the VA Reps told me. And I called twice and got different Reps that both said the same thing.

I think it may have something to do with a 48 month LIFETIME benefit - not counting anything you may also qualify for under Voc Rehab once you have exhausted your 48 month lifetime ed benefit.

V/R,
nwlivewire

Thank-you grizz13.

For whatever reason, I fell under an old VA program that is no longer in use. The VA is NOT counting that time against me on my 48 month total as it has been "defunct" or "no longer in service" for quite some time.

The VA is however, counting ed time I have used in a program that is still in use today, even though that education time was used 20 years ago and the education I received 20 years ago is now basically obsolete.

So I guess it all depends again on the situation. But what you wrote would apply to most newly minted Vets under most circumstances.

When I called the VA, they looked up my ed records and said I have about 31 months remaining on my Post 9/11 GI Bill without the additional 12 months from Voc Rehab. They added an automatic 12 months to my GI Bill time as I would be a first time user of this benefit and they did not take away the time I used on that defunct program I did use way back when.

I don't know why - maybe some kind of obscure law somewhere. But I'm not complaining.

I do not have my certification in front of me - I will be applying for my certification soon. The above information is what the VA Reps told me. And I called twice and got different Reps that both said the same thing.

I think it may have something to do with a 48 month LIFETIME benefit - not counting anything you may also qualify for under Voc Rehab once you have exhausted your 48 month lifetime ed benefit.

V/R,
nwlivewire

Interesting! I was stating the current GI Bill information, I am not versed on the older programs.

Apparently it is specific to the individual? However, I did get the phone number to ask severence/retirement pay questions to DFAS directly. 1-888-332-7411 ext. 1. "Due to extremely high call volume, call back." lol

Here was their emailed response!?

Dear Ma'am:

In regards to your pay inquiry dated December 26,2013, ASKDFAS would not be able to advise you on this until orders are received form the branch of service telling us how to retire you.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you today with your Retired Pay Account. We are committed to providing quality service to our customers. If you have any questions or require additional information, please don't hesitate to contact us again by e-mail or by calling 1-800-321-1080. Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Eastern Time.

Thank you for your service

Sincerely,

Cleveland Customer Care Center
Thank you,
Ask Retired Pay Customer Service

Interesting...Being you got out in 2007, shouldn't they already have that information??? :confused:

You'd think so? I gave them my full social but who knows? Worse, every VBA rep I've contacted knows nothing about the Wounded Warrior Act and PDBR review? I find myself educating them! Nice, right? Can Jason recommend a good lawyer in NH/VT/MA area? I'm totally lost and apparently the first veteran going through this in my area?

Just wanted to share what I learned. Whether the veteran is retired or medically separated is irrelevant because you can qualify for the 48 months through MGIB or Voc Rehab. If your 30% or more SC, you qualify for Voc Rehab. Even if you're not 30% and were medically separated you can still get 48 months of MGIB. I was offered Voc Rehab instead of the MGIB 9/11 back in the day but opted not to do that. However, I did find out that even though I exhausted all of my MGIB benefits, I can still apply for Voc Rehab if I want to peruse a new career program and get an additional degree. Good to know! Hope this helps other Veterans!