Severance Pay Calculation

hornet204

PEB Forum Regular Member
I was medically seperated in March of 08 at 20% and awarded medical seperation pay. My question is, how they came up with the amount of severance. I had 9 years and 11 months active as a E6. I know the formula of base pay X 2 X years of service. But by their calculations, they paid me as a E6 at the 8 year mark but multiplied it by 10 years of service. Should I have gotten E6 at the 10 year mark and muliplied by 10 years of service? It is a difference of about 5 thousand dollars. Everything that I have read on the calculation formula states that if I am over 9 years and 8 months, it should be treated as though I had been active for 10 years. Thanks in advance

Shamus62

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
The calculation should round up if you have over 6 months....that is to say if you have 9 years and 8 months, you should be counted as having 10 years of service for this purpose. If you have 9 years, 5 months and 29 days, as I understand it, you are counted at having 9 years for serverance pay purposes. Somebody poke me in the eye if I'm off here. :p

hornet204

PEB Forum Regular Member
They are giving me credit for ten years in the calculation, but not for figuring up the base pay that goes into the calculation. In other words, they paid me as a E6 with eight years of service as far as the base pay element of the calculation. They did give me credit for ten years as length of service in the overall calculation. My severance pay was figured as a E6 eight years but gave me the ten year service time.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Do you have time from delayed entry or a break in service (with or without time in the reserves)? Are you (or were you) getting paid as an E-6 with 8 or with 10 years of service?

hornet204

PEB Forum Regular Member
I am not sure about the Delayed Entry Program, I know I was in it before I went to boot, but where would I find that information? Also I didnt have any break in service nor did I have any reserve time. My time in service at the time of my discharge was 9 years and 11 months.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">