severance pay?

Tigerbearlove08

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My husband is reaching the end of his medboard ( has a 2 week wait for rating and then 90 days to clear so he has been told) I'm hearing that if the Army gives him a rating of 20% or below they give a severance package to leave on? I have the math figured out on that ( thanks to you guys, thank you for that :) ) Now my question is - if the Army gives him a 20% and a severance package and then the VA gives him say a 40% rating does he have to give the severance package over to the VA to receive his comp from the VA? Cause that is what we are hearing but this is all confusing to me!

Thank you so much!!

If the 199 states non-combat related then the VA will have to pay back the severence money and you will recieve a partial monthly payment until the entire severance is repayed.

So we will get the severance pay and then the VA has to pay back the Army? ( example hubby gets $400 a month, but til the severance pay is paid back he will only receive like $200 a month?)

No. If the condition incurred in a combat zone, then the severance is not recovered by the VA. Combat related is not the same as incurred in a combat zone. Also, if the unfitting condition is rated a 0% (regardless of where it occurred), the severance is not recovered as the VA only offsets to the amount the unfitting condition is compensated.

Severance from injury caused by:

Tripping over own feet in Iraq - Severance not recouped by VA but taxed.

Shot by enemy in Iraq - Severance not recouped by VA nor taxed.

Shot on rifle range at Ft. Hood - Severance recouped by VA but not taxed.

Car accident off post - Severance recouped and taxed.

Combat Zone: Where it happened
Combat related: How it happened

Mike

If his severance is from a unfitting condition that did not incur in a combat zone and rated at 20%, then the VA withholds the amount payable for a 20% disability until the amount of his severance is recovered. If rated 10%, then the VA withholds the amount payable for a 10% disability until the amount of his severance is recovered. If 0%, then the VA withholds the amount payable for a 0% disability (which is $0) until the amount of his severance is recovered. Rated a t 10 and 20% you lose your severance. Rated at 0%, keep your severance (unless and until the VA raise the rating to 10% or more).

Mike

so maparker- if he gets a 30% rating from the VA and he gets a severance pay ( 20%) from the army of $10,000 then he gets the severance pay and then he doesn't get a VA check til the $10,000 is recouped? Sorry this is all so confusing to me. His injury is not combat related or occurred in a combat zone.

The VA will withhold an amount equal to what a 20% VA rating pays. You would get the difference between the 30% rating payment and the 20% rating payment until the amount of the severance is recovered. At that point, you get a 30% VA payment.

Mike

Okay, that I can work with.. the severance pay would be helpful! Also, after you are separated how quickly does the severance pay and/or VA check start to come in?