Severance w/ DOD rating at 30%

jddevil84

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone I am looking for some information.

Situation:
I was put on the board for my left should and just received the board findings back of unfit w/ 20%DOD and 80%VA, sep w/ severance. There is a discrepancy with the findings due to they rated my left shoulder as my non-dominate arm when in fact it is my dominate arm (I have the medical paperwork stating left is dominate). I am considering doing a VA reconsideration for this but I am concerned because my financial situation is not the greatest and really need the severance pay after getting the boot. My question is would I still be able to get severance with a repayment if I get my DOD rating up to 30% and I get medically retired? I understand the difference in benefits but right now money is a major concern for us.

Any help yall can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Severance would be out of the question if you are rated 30% or greater. With a 20% rating you would receive a severance which is 2 times your basic pay times your years in service.

Last edited:
I agree that severance and retirement don't go together. How many years do you have in? Depending on your answer lots of money could be at stake between 20% and 30% or more.

Also you would be eligible to purchase Tricare Prime if you get 30% or more. The premium is cheap compared to insurance on the marketplace.

I agree that severance and retirement don't go together. How many years do you have in? Depending on your answer lots of money could be at stake between 20% and 30% or more.
I have 12 years in severance was $86,000. I have heard of some Marines getting retired and still receiving severance.

Severance pay followed by retirement results in severance recoupment.

Severance pay followed by retirement results in severance recoupment.
Yeah either way severance would be recouped. If I accept the findings as is I would get the severance check (Taxed) and would have to repay the $86,000 over the next 27.5 years amounting in 256 dollars a month coming right out of my disability check before I even saw it.

No, it is not an option, you either get severance for 0, 10 or 20% or medical retirement with 30% or greater.
I believe every word you are saying, I am curious though why I continue to hear that there are service members who are medically retired and recieve some type of large cash pay out. I actually met and individual who was medically retired and received a cash pay out. Could it have something to do with your remaining time on your current contract? Or some other stipulation

I believe every word you are saying, I am curious though why I continue to hear that there are service members who are medically retired and recieve some type of large cash pay out. I actually met and individual who was medically retired and received a cash pay out. Could it have something to do with your remaining time on your current contract? Or some other stipulation

Whatever you are hearing, it is incorrect. The law is the law. The cash payout could have been from SSDI or some other form of a payment, but they will not have been medically retired and also have received severance fro a medical disability.

From DFAS: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/plan/separation-payments/disability-severance-pay.html

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/disability.html

As far as receiving a bonus, that is absolutely possible, I was still owed $5000 on a reenlistment bonus and was paid it when I was medically retired.

You can also get a lump sump payment from CRSC too.

Whatever you are hearing, it is incorrect. The law is the law. The cash payout could have been from SSDI or some other form of a payment, but they will not have been medically retired and also have received severance fro a medical disability.

From DFAS: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/plan/separation-payments/disability-severance-pay.html

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/disability.html

As far as receiving a bonus, that is absolutely possible, I was still owed $5000 on a reenlistment bonus and was paid it when I was medically retired.

You can also get a lump sump payment from CRSC too.

Oh okay, thank you I am starting to stress a little bit. I am waiting for my ratings to return and I am really torn between which will be better for me and my family.

Oh okay, thank you I am starting to stress a little bit. I am waiting for my ratings to return and I am really torn between which will be better for me and my family.

How many years do you have in service? What is your rank? I'll break down some of the possibilities for you.

No such thing as a retirement and severance together.

These people you are meeting may be mistaken as to their "retirement" status.

13 years
SSG/E6

Was referred for bilateral plantar fasciitis PEB found me unfit on 25Jan, don't know my ratings yet

I think you should receive 20% for the dominant foot, 10% for the non-dominant, for a total combined of 28%, rounded up to 30% and a medical retirement.

If they do indeed rate you at 10% each, then you would be looking at severance.

Your retired pay base (top three) should be about $3500.00 or so. Based on that, severance could be about $91,000.00

Since you only have 13 years in, you are not close to earning a regular retirement. The financial decision is really going to come down to how important the medical benefits and base access privileges are to your family.

I think you should receive 20% for the dominant foot, 10% for the non-dominant, for a total combined of 28%, rounded up to 30% and a medical retirement.

If they do indeed rate you at 10% each, then you would be looking at severance.

Your retired pay base (top three) should be about $3500.00 or so. Based on that, severance could be about $91,000.00

Since you only have 13 years in, you are not close to earning a regular retirement. The financial decision is really going to come down to how important the medical benefits and base access privileges are to your family.

Speaking with my PEBLO because of the extensive surgeries I have had on both feet, she is has said she is confident that I would recieve nothing less than 30%. Thanks for the incite

Speaking with my PEBLO because of the extensive surgeries I have had on both feet, she is has said she is confident that I would recieve nothing less than 30%. Thanks for the incite

Surgery does not equate to any rating whatsoever. In most cases, it actually lowers ratings because range of motion is typically improved.

You rating is going to come down to the answers provided by the evaluating doctor on the DBQ during your C&P exam.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0960M-6-ARE.pdf

13 years
SSG/E6

Was referred for bilateral plantar fasciitis PEB found me unfit on 25Jan, don't know my ratings yet
I was found unfit on 20 Jan VA sent letter on 7 Feb hopefully will hear something soon i am courious as well